Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2015   #31
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gro2can View Post
lucky you. here in ca. krim will not grow well too cold at night got 6 plants left that are growing 2barely alive.
Where in Canada?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #32
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I considered planting BK this year. I just ran out of room...and had to prioritize. My black is Cherokee Purple...which I loved last year. Let me hear about taste tests on this one. Not sure if Cherokee Chocolate will taste better than BK or not. So many choices...
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #33
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing many blacks as they are usually our favorite. Also, trying some GWR this year since I've heard they have similar flavor. Our two favorite tomatoes since I started growing has been Cherokee Purple and Carbon Copy. This year, I'm trying JD's Special C-Tex, Cherokee Choclate ( very behind, got eaten by a goat), Spudakee, Gary O'Sena, Black Brandywine, Brads Black Heart and a couple of Dwarf Blacks, plus Carbon Copy. I may have a Pruden's Purple out there somewhere, too. I really need to spend some time replacing the little ground labels with tape on the trellis or a bamboo stick with label so that I can figure out what's what.
In all this time, I've yet to taste a Black Krim, except a couple from an area of my garden that was shaded and flood irrigated my first gardening year in AZ. I started some this year but I'm not sure if I ended up with one. I may have given it away to my barn builder or my pony trainer.
Next year,maybe.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #34
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have grown BK twice before, in differen times and places. The last time was in 2013.
The taste was good but I got a lot of green shoulders and some crack.
Plus the fruit size was not that impressive. So I switched to CP.

This year I am growing several in black brown category:

--- Cherokee Purple (repeat)
--- Japanese BT (repeat)
--- Arbuznyi (new)
--- Black Cherry (new)
--- Black from Tula (new)
--- Kumato (new)
---- Ananas Noire (repeat). This is a tri color >> Brown n pineapple n green( as seen in my avatar)
This is the year of brown tomatoes in my garden.
I will grow (probably) BK next season.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #35
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

BK was my gateway drug into the world of tomato passion.
Even in our unpredictable cold / hot Finnish weather, it was a delicious and productive variety.

I am grateful it caught my eye in the seed catalogue - it looked different and exotic enough to hook me!

This year, I got the French version Noire de Crimee (thanks to Carolyn's positive comments on that) and am curious to see if there will be any difference. I have grown a couple of blacks and honestly could not tell them apart in terms of taste or production ... loved them all, Black from Tula, Black prince.. Black pear of course had a different shape.
Looking forward to having a bite of Paul Robeson

Last edited by NarnianGarden; June 16, 2015 at 04:57 AM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2015   #36
gro2can
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Where in Canada?
KarenO
winterpeg
gro2can is offline   Reply With Quote