Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 7, 2013   #31
frankbenjones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
frankbenjones - Not the super producer they promoted.How disappointing. At least did the flavor wow you? - L.
Didn't wow me but it was ok. Haven't decided if I will grow again; will have to see how productive the plant is over the next couple of months. I have two plants, one of them is doing ok, the other is lagging behind in size and number of fruit. I will have my first opalka tomato ready in a day or two to compare. First time growing both. Both are short for being an indeterminate (if that is what they are), all my other indeterminate plants are 6+ feet tall, golden rave and Juiliet are probably 9 ft tall.
frankbenjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #32
discoprincess
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbenjones View Post
Picked first supersauce tomatoes today. Got 10 off of two plants; largest was 8.45 oz, total for all 10 was 4 lbs. The plants only grew about 36-40" tall. I've attached a pic of the largest one.
Three to four feet tall? Was it supposed to be a dwarf?

I'd like to hear the results of the taste test too.
discoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #33
Baja_Traveler
Tomatovillian™

I wish mine was 3-4 feet. The only one that survived of mine is a true dwarf at only a foot high. It has 6-8 fruits on it that are maybe the size of golf balls now. Looks like it will be another month or two before they are ready.
Meanwhile I have 10-12 pounds of Romas picked, so I'll make sauce out of them this week.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2015   #34
joebolin
Tomatovillian™

I live in hardiness zone 9b (coastal northern California), so I was able to start my Super Sauce seeds on January 25th in the laundry room, put them under lights in mid-February, and move the seedlings outside to harden off two months after starting. Three of the twelve plants (that's only 50% successful germination...) went in to the ground the first weekend in April and I've now got two small tomatoes, about the size of olives (pic attached). I'll keep my progress posted to this thread.
joebolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2015   #35
TexasTim
Tomatovillian™

One of the toughest to germinate and get started in my experience. I have one about 2 feet tall with lots of flowers. I will also report progress.
TexasTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #36
joebolin
Tomatovillian™

Default SuperSauce Plants at Five Months

I added eggshells to the soil around the tomatoes today; I''m determined to prevent blossom end rot, which was a heck of a problem last year. The SuperSauce plants are bushy and vibrant green, with an abundance of blooms and 5 - 8 small fruit per plant. The largest fruit now is the size of an oval golfball; the smallest could be mistaken for very large olives.
Old May 25, 2015   #37
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebolin View Post
I added eggshells to the soil around the tomatoes today; I''m determined to prevent blossom end rot, which was a heck of a problem last year. The SuperSauce plants are bushy and vibrant green, with an abundance of blooms and 5 - 8 small fruit per plant. The largest fruit now is the size of an oval golfball; the smallest could be mistaken for very large olives.
I sprayed today with a calcium spray. Worked great last 2 seasons.
Old May 26, 2015   #38
joebolin
Tomatovillian™

What is the brand name of the calcium spray? I tried fertilizer enriched with calcium last season, but it didn't do the trick. Heard about the eggshells on "You Bet Your Garden".
Old May 26, 2015   #39
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
What is the brand name of the calcium spray? I tried fertilizer enriched with calcium last season, but it didn't do the trick. Heard about the eggshells on "You Bet Your Garden".
Bonide Rot Stop

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...la=pla_9503745
Old May 26, 2015   #40
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Mixed results with calcium spray. My local extension research reported no improvement in yield over the control . I used another brand with little difference in yield. I'd be interested in more firsthand comparisons.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #41
joebolin
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, cecilsgarden; i tried Stone's Organic Fertilizer with calcium and still saw blossom end rot last year, but foliar absorption might be more effective. I've accidentally created a little experiment in my own garden with the eggshells, though, in that I put crushed eggshells in the holes when I planted the first five of my SuperSauce, but forgot to add them with the final eight. For those last eight, I worked the crushed eggshells into the surface layer of the soil. I would bet that timing--applying while the plants are blooming, or even before blossoms form--is important for effective use of the spray?
Old May 27, 2015   #42
isuhunter
Tomatovillian™

I needed a 3rd plant to fill out my pack from burpees and picked one of these up. Here is the little guy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1601.JPG (154.1 KB, 87 views)
isuhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2015   #43
joebolin
Tomatovillian™

My best SuperSauce plant--in the attached photo--is about two feet tall, but has an abundance of both fruit and blossoms. Sorry for the nasturtium in the foreground of the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1294.jpg (55.4 KB, 79 views)
Old May 27, 2015   #44
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuhunter View Post
I needed a 3rd plant to fill out my pack from burpees and picked one of these up. Here is the little guy.
Wow, must be nice just to "pick up one of these" on a whim. What type of facility had a Super Sauce?
Old May 27, 2015   #45
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My best SuperSauce plant--in the attached photo--is about two feet tall, but has an abundance of both fruit and blossoms. Sorry for the nasturtium in the foreground of the photo.
Your Nasturtium looks great, but that tomato looks in disarray or something. Is it okay?