Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 14, 2015   #31
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I LOVE the taste, but BW is just too late for me. When it does deign to set fruit, it gets big, splits, then mold grows and then it rots.

Never again!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2015   #32
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

No blinders, that's what I like. I'm not growing Brandywine for no achievement badge, I have dozens of other ways to get frustrated.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2015   #33
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default King/Queen in the north

BW may be most suitable in the north away from the extreme heat.
I have to assume now that they tolerate cooler weather better than the heat, since I have had fruit set in under 50 degrees with them. Fusion really nailed it, they love being grown in a tunnel in the north, and I even grew a couple outside in Alaska that were set out as nice plants.
I think Worth's comments pertaining to growing them in Texas also back this up.
Anyway, keep the watering even if you can, and they do throw pretty looking fruit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1060.JPG (360.0 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1062.JPG (368.9 KB, 280 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2015   #34
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

If you haven't tried Brandywine OTV it's worth your consideration. It is a good tasting tomato and very productive. I've still have dozens of greenies as well as a few blushers on the vine and that's in the PNW.
Old October 14, 2015   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
BW may be most suitable in the north away from the extreme heat.
I have to assume now that they tolerate cooler weather better than the heat, since I have had fruit set in under 50 degrees with them. Fusion really nailed it, they love being grown in a tunnel in the north, and I even grew a couple outside in Alaska that were set out as nice plants.
I think Worth's comments pertaining to growing them in Texas also back this up.
Anyway, keep the watering even if you can, and they do throw pretty looking fruit.

Mark now that I am home all of the time I am going to be able to do things I couldn't before.
I learned a lot from the one Orange Russian I had that sprouted on its own in November and lived and grew all winter long.
It produced a lot of fruit.
I think I had setting blooms on it in January or February.
With proper protection and care I think I can start tomatoes here in November and be successful.
What have I got to lose.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2015   #36
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I was going to ask you about early starts, I think your idea is a good one.
Not on slope anymore?
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2015   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Worth, I was going to ask you about early starts, I think your idea is a good one.
Not on slope anymore?
No I quit on very good terms.
They wanted me to sign papers stating I would agree to do something that was against my moral values.
Flew up and flew out the same day.
Not to hijack the thread but all my life I have had an imaginary set of balance scales.
When the bad outweighs the good I have to change it.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; October 14, 2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old October 14, 2015   #38
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Mark now that I am home all of the time I am going to be able to do things I couldn't before.
I learned a lot from the one Orange Russian I had that sprouted on its own in November and lived and grew all winter long.
It produced a lot of fruit.
I think I had setting blooms on it in January or February.
With proper protection and care I think I can start tomatoes here in November and be successful.
What have I got to lose.
Worth
Worth you ever try using shade cloth to buy yourself a few extra weeks as the summer heat kicks in? I am currently building a ton of raised gardens and putting large wood poles up so i can run a hail netting/lighter shade cloth system over my gardens. I did use shade clothes last year but haphazardly. I did find that even just blocking the sun off containers or soil made a huge difference in fruit set and general health of the plants. I do have 3 Suddath's BW in the ground so I will see how they do for me. Late Dec and early January are the killer temp start time so hopefully it will have set fruit well by then.

Mark
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2015   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendozaMark View Post
Worth you ever try using shade cloth to buy yourself a few extra weeks as the summer heat kicks in? I am currently building a ton of raised gardens and putting large wood poles up so i can run a hail netting/lighter shade cloth system over my gardens. I did use shade clothes last year but haphazardly. I did find that even just blocking the sun off containers or soil made a huge difference in fruit set and general health of the plants. I do have 3 Suddath's BW in the ground so I will see how they do for me. Late Dec and early January are the killer temp start time so hopefully it will have set fruit well by then.

Mark
My two beds are kind of in a weird place one is under a tree during most of the morning and into the afternoon.the other gets a little more sun.
The shade helps out a lot.
The pictuer I will post in a minute from my phone is of a plant I have done nothing to all summer.
The main stem is next to the center post and is running across my driveway the truck keeps it pruned it is a black prince.

Worth
Old October 14, 2015   #40
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here the beast is in all its neglected glory.
Worth
IMG_20151014_2762.jpg
Old October 14, 2015   #41
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Here the beast is in all its neglected glory.
Worth
Attachment 53800
Worth you have no respect for royalty ! lol...I have 2 small Black Prince's, perhaps i should plant one on each side of my driveway ?
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2015   #42
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr6404 View Post
If you haven't tried Brandywine OTV it's worth your consideration. It is a good tasting tomato and very productive. I've still have dozens of greenies as well as a few blushers on the vine and that's in the PNW.
Yes, it does perform much better in the south than other Brandywines, but in retrospect Craig and I should not have called it a Brandywine since its not pure Brandywine as you can see from the link below.

I did all the dehybridizing in my zone 5 tomato field in upstate NY where it performed very well,but it has done very well for most folks in almost all places.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/B...b=General_Info

Carolyn
Old October 23, 2015   #43
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I used to have terrible luck with Brandywine because of our intense early heat; but over the past few years it has been a very reliable good producer due to some steps I have taken. I heavily mulch my plants with cypress mulch which keeps the soil temps cooler than any other mulch I have tried as well as maintaining soil moisture levels. I grow in raised beds which assures the plants don't have to sit in standing water. Since I started feeding my plants a weekly dose of Texas Tomato Food my fruit set has increased tremendously which is really important with Brandywines. Limiting the number of stems and keeping the plants sprayed with fungicide has made a big difference in maintaining the health of the plants which also increases production.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2015   #44
kerns125
Tomatovillian™

VenturaBananas, IMO, Brandywine OTV tastes NOTHING like BW Sudduth's -- rather bland/boring. But I feel that way about Stump of the World and Mortgage Lifter and BW Glick's and many of the other ones often compared to BWS.

I LOVE BWS and will grow it every year because the flavor is outstanding, even though it's late and stingy. I'd never found another that compared....

Until this year I grew a heart from my grandfather and for the first time thought a non-cherry tomato was more flavorful than BWS. It was just as intense and sweeter. Can't comment on production because I had major late blight issues this year, and half of my plants fell super-early -- but this heart was the first full-size tomato out of 24 varieties to ripen in my garden (first week of June in Alexandria, VA) and the flavor knocked my socks off. PM me if you'd like me to send you a few seeds (but only if you plan to actually grow it out, as I don't have a ton of seeds!).

Jen
kerns125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2015   #45
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerns125 View Post
VenturaBananas, IMO, Brandywine OTV tastes NOTHING like BW Sudduth's -- rather bland/boring. But I feel that way about Stump of the World and Mortgage Lifter and BW Glick's and many of the other ones often compared to BWS.

I LOVE BWS and will grow it every year because the flavor is outstanding, even though it's late and stingy. I'd never found another that compared....

Until this year I grew a heart from my grandfather and for the first time thought a non-cherry tomato was more flavorful than BWS. It was just as intense and sweeter. Can't comment on production because I had major late blight issues this year, and half of my plants fell super-early -- but this heart was the first full-size tomato out of 24 varieties to ripen in my garden (first week of June in Alexandria, VA) and the flavor knocked my socks off. PM me if you'd like me to send you a few seeds (but only if you plan to actually grow it out, as I don't have a ton of seeds!).

Jen
Well I'm growing both BWS and BW OTV this year so I'll try and chime in on the flavour side of things later on this year or early on next year.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote