Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2015   #31
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

Yes I think you might be right. I just took photos of some tomatoes of my other plant that ripened on the vine after the plant had died as they were growing against a corrugated iron shed. All eight different varieties had a shortened life due to the sun hitting the tin. Again, like you mentioned with my earlier picture there isn't much secondary colour showing up in the cross section.

But the funny thing is, in the midst of all this discussion, we had dinner with my parents last night and my mum served up tomato and onion with our meal which was made purely from frying some home grown red Italian onions in butter with my sister's Little Lucky heart shaped tomatoes. My sister had neglected the plant in the heat of the summer and the plant had died, so the tomatoes had ripened on the vines, like the ones in my photo. The flavour of the tomato and onion was so incredible that I thought mum had added some tomato chutney. When I asked her she said no and commented on how tasty the Italian onions are that I had grown for her. But I'm certain the flavour was from the tomatoes. So maybe I will grow out a couple just for fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7655.JPG (252.5 KB, 73 views)
a sunny day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2015   #32
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

(I'm really busy with orders, etc, so I did not read through all the comments carefully) Having grown Little Lucky for a long time now, I have always seen some fruit that sometimes got a bit heart shaped (not always just once in awhile) so I have always thought it was a natural shape variance of the fruit, it never has seemed to be a stable thing as in sometimes the pointiness of the ends would not always be there, and I figured it was environmental stresses that made it come out. Many tomatoes do that with the weather. When I first saw Little Lucky Heart ages ago, I thought it was the same as I was seeing, and brushed it off as, "this is normal for this tomato," and didn't ever think more about it. I could have been wrong all this time or right I don't know. A DNA test would solved it
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2015   #33
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

Hi Remy, thanks for your post. We did have some environmental stresses this year, in particular winds up to 60km/hr. But still, one tomato plant of the four produced much bigger tomatoes and with less of a heart shape.

These little ones are so cute and seeing there are no seed vendors for Little Lucky Heart here in Australia maybe I'll just grow out the next generation and see.

Ginger would you still like some seed?
Old April 16, 2015   #34
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I think they are cute. I'll probably plant 5 to see if they get segregates. Especially since you said they are sweet. Did you save seed from the one that has more red in the center? That would be my preference to try to segregate out. Can I please have a few for DDSack too?

Working name, how does Aussie Sunset sound to you?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2015   #35
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

Yes, my first three pictures on page 1 and the pictures on page 2 are all from the same plant. Marsha is that the one you would like, as I have seeds of that little heart and the one on the last page also? And Aussie Sunset sounds great for a name.

I will send extra seed for DDSack as well. I'll need to send them quickly along with Aussie Drops F4 as you have already started your season. Aussie Drops seed is just ready now, so it's good timing. I'll send them tomorrow.
Old April 16, 2015   #36
EBHarvey
Tomatovillian™

I think I even started a thread on this a few years back when my little lucky was throwing hearts, but it definitely seemed to be the result of environmental factors and abnormal flowers, and no growouts produced hearts with any greater frequency.

As far as the ones being called little luckey hearts, does the foliage have that typical-of-hearts wispy, sparse look or does it have the full, potato leaf look of the normal little luckey?
EBHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2015   #37
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by a sunny day View Post
Yes, my first three pictures on page 1 and the pictures on page 2 are all from the same plant. Marsha is that the one you would like, as I have seeds of that little heart and the one on the last page also? And Aussie Sunset sounds great for a name.

I will send extra seed for DDSack as well. I'll need to send them quickly along with Aussie Drops F4 as you have already started your season. Aussie Drops seed is just ready now, so it's good timing. I'll send them tomorrow.
No, my season won't start until I sow seeds in late August. My reverse growing season coincides with your regular season. S. Florida has oddball weather.

Yes please, the one on the first page interests me the most.Aussie drops sounds great too.
Old April 16, 2015   #38
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

Hi EB, the little heart ones I have here have normal potato leaf foliage.

Ginger you might have to email me or start another thread to tell me about your reverse growing season. I just had a really quick look at your climate online (because I have to prepare your seeds before I leave for work) and it looks like you have a tropical climate, similar to Darwin as you have a rainy season. And no frosts?
Old April 16, 2015   #39
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by a sunny day View Post
Hi EB, the little heart ones I have here have normal potato leaf foliage.

Ginger you might have to email me or start another thread to tell me about your reverse growing season. I just had a really quick look at your climate online (because I have to prepare your seeds before I leave for work) and it looks like you have a tropical climate, similar to Darwin as you have a rainy season. And no frosts?
Please, who is Darwin. I know of the evolutionist, but I never heard he had a certain climate. Anyway, yes, almost no frosts, last one was about 5-6 years ago, if we have one it is only for that night and early morn, then heats back up during the day. Rainy season in the summer, where our overnight temps are about 78*F, and this lasts from late April through the end of October. So if we sow seeds in very late August or early September, then the plants are large enough and healthy enough to just be maturing blossoms when the overnight temps finally get below 70*F, so they can set fruit. So our season here in zone 10b is just like your season as far as time of year, except that our season is about 9-10 months long. I am still getting a harvest.
Old April 16, 2015   #40
a sunny day
Tomatovillian™

OMG I am envious! Marsha Darwin is the capital city of Northern Territory here in Australia. They measure rainfall in the rainy season in feet rather than inches or mm.