Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 26, 2015   #436
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Is that a turtle?

The only think I've had messing with my seedlings were snails.

Larry, are you starting your 2nd crop of broccoli seeds now?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2015   #437
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Is that a turtle?

It is a Bufo Marinas Toad, I think. One was staring at me from an earthbox tube last week. I hope my dog doesn't find it.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #438
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Is that a turtle?
Yes, I have a 126 3 1/2" cups planted with Broccoli seeds. Well 125, my friend the toad is in 1 of them. A few are Green Magic for comparison (your seeds, Thank You) and the rest are Premium Crop. I plan to get them transplanted no later than Dec 20th. God willing and the creek don't rise.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #439
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Yes, I have a 126 3 1/2" cups planted with Broccoli seeds. Well 125, my friend the toad is in 1 of them. A few are Green Magic for comparison (your seeds, Thank You) and the rest are Premium Crop. I plan to get them transplanted no later than Dec 20th. God willing and the creek don't rise.
Larry
Wow wow wow! Thats a lot of broccoli. And that Toad looks like he isnt giving up his cup!

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015   #440
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Wow wow wow! Thats a lot of broccoli. And that Toad looks like he isnt giving up his cup!
Ginny
Ya, he's the Man or rather he's the Toad!
Old October 30, 2015   #441
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry - you must have a lot of space for all that broccoli. 1 seed per cup?

---
Marsha - Are you back yet? How was NC; any hiking? How did your plants manage without you?

--
Ginny - how do you add comments between pictures? I have 4 unrelated pictures that I want to post.

----

Nighttime temp lows are still 74. Been buzzing daily around 11.

Here's the first picture:

Coastal Pride seedlings - seeds via Marsha. Sowed on 10/17. The CP are on the bottom left, the biggest/healthiest looking.

Fred's Tie Dye is another of Marsha's - in the top left. Top right is my Sweet Scarlet Dwarf, and Bottom Right is from Marsha - PBTH - first leaves were funky looking; hoping true leaves are normal.

SSD - purchased from Tatianna in January -. I've had so much problems with them; I have one plant and have started over and over many times; either bad germination or weak seedling that doesn't make it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coastal Pride (1024x913).jpg (210.0 KB, 56 views)
Old October 30, 2015   #442
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
---
Marsha - Are you back yet? How was NC; any hiking? How did your plants manage without you?
--
Ginny - how do you add comments between pictures? I have 4 unrelated pictures that I want to post.
----
Coastal Pride seedlings - seeds via Marsha. Sowed on 10/17. The CP are on the bottom left, the biggest/healthiest looking.
Fred's Tie Dye is another of Marsha's - in the top left. Top right is my Sweet Scarlet Dwarf, and Bottom Right is from Marsha - PBTH - first leaves were funky looking; hoping true leaves are normal.
SSD - purchased from Tatianna in January -. I've had so much problems with them; I have one plant and have started over and over many times; either bad germination or weak seedling that doesn't make it.
Yes 1 seed per cup. 4 trays are now in the sun a 5th will go in the sun tomorrow. From 126 seeds approx 30 have not germinated and I will probably reseed those cups tomorrow. The broccoli in the garden is starting to head now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I am having much more gardening problems this season than in a long time. It would appear that what seemed like endless rain for months has done a number on both my native soil and compost filled raised beds. All my beans, Rattlesnake, Fortex Cross, Golden Gate, Provider and Jade II are disasters this season. I have a post over in the legume section of tomatoville looking for comments maybe some of you would like to look at it and see if you could help me.
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...fall+bean+crop

The name is Worst Ever Fall Bean Crop

What ever the issue is it doesn't seem to have effected the tomatoes. They look pretty good. Of the large indeterminates, Granadero looks the best and has quite a lot of tomatoes set and they are getting good sized. Bush plants Clear Pink Early (heirloom), Early Wonder (OP 1947), Fourth of July (F1) are all doing quite well. I have been eating a few Sun Gold and Terenzo cherries as they come ripe. I have eaten a couple of Extreme Bush tomatoes. X Bush looks a lot like many of the other dwarfs but it fruits much faster than Sleeping Lady, New Big Dwarf and Iditarod Red, which are the other dwarfs which are still with me. Two or three others didn't make it.
Early morning low temperatures have been running from roughly 67 to 72 here. It will probably be a week or two before it is consistently below 70 in the morning.
I noticed something yesterday that I had not noticed before. After spending a couple of hours tying up tomatoes with my rough version of Florida Weave when I washed off my arms I noticed that they were covered with pollen. At first I wondered what all they yellow stuff was then it came to me.
Old October 31, 2015   #443
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb, your seedlings grew so quickly!! I started some on Wednesday of this week and they havent even sprouted yet. And i have them in a room that is 85-90 degrees during the day. Yours look great!

As far as pictures. I use Tapatalk app to post them from my phone. Sometimes i just post them and then go back and edit the post from my laptop to add in the text. Does that help?

Ginny
Old October 31, 2015   #444
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb, delighted that you got such good germinatio . Is PBTH meant to be Berkeley Tie Die Heart?
I had weird cotyledons too, but it is growing very normal now. But very wispy.
Quote:

---

--

----

Old October 31, 2015   #445
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry - read your bean problem thread. I have no idea.

Wanted to say we have not had any significant rain in 3 weeks now. My tomato plants look good as well.

No where near having any tomato ready to eat. Most plants don't have tomatoes but these do:

SunGold - lots
Garden Gem - tons, even more than SG - I'm so impressed.
Garden Treasure - another UF breed - a few
Park's Whopper - 2 plants in Root Pouch both have many; 2 had BER (1 from each plant)
Cole - got seeds from Robbie-Cole - tiny plant but not a dwarf
Unknown - probably BCD - 2 tomatoes are getting pretty big though.

---
Finally saw new ones: on Big Beef, Vorlon, NAV, Ildi, George, Large Barred Boar, Beauty Queen.

Nothing on PBTD, GGWT and I have 5+ plants, either Bulgarian, Early Girl, Kelloggs, KBX, anything Artisan, Rebel Yell, Taxi, BWC-Pink, Big Brandy, Captain Lucky, Momataro, Red Rose, Black from Tula, Cosmonaut.

Just flowers on dwarfs - hard to buzz too; I think they liked the cooler temps better.

On Vorlon, I missed the bottom 2 trusses; no fruit drop. Plant has 3 tomatoes and tons of blooms on top.

I think the nights are just too warm; I see the big open blooms and have buzzed every day.

Posting another picture: It's Garden Gem - the UF breed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garden Gem 10-30 (768x1024).jpg (224.9 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Barb_FL; October 31, 2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Dwarfs
Old October 31, 2015   #446
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Wow. Garden Gem has tons of tomatoes and blossoms. Nice!!

Ginny
Old November 1, 2015   #447
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Now that I am harvesting some cherry tomatoes of course I am starting to work on my spring planting list. I am going to order Indigo Cherry Drops and I think the Sunrise Bumblebee. The SB won't ship until January though. I have the Rebel Yell seeds that I did not plant for winter because we do get more cold here than many of you. For those who have planted it, how does it rate?

The International Herb Association's conference is being held in Fernandina and the featured herb for 2016 is chile peppers so all the speakers will be focusing on that. I will be working as a volunteer Thursday, Friday and Saturday. That will let me hear all the speakers without paying the $250 fee. I think it will be an interesting experience. I am donating 100 packs of Datil and Seminole pumpkin seeds so the attendees can get introduced to some Florida heirlooms. I am not so sure they will grow for the people in Minnesota and Quebec. They may not have enough warm days.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2015   #448
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Kay - I will check, but I think I have Sunrise Bumblebee so possibly no need to order.

I've been taking clippings from my plants where I only have one; so far so good. I'm testing root development in 1. ProMix, 2. WonderSoil, 3. Washed Coir with perlite added.
Old November 1, 2015   #449
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb- you do the most interesting experiments. You are our personal resident scientist.
Old November 1, 2015   #450
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Kay - I will check, but I think I have Sunrise Bumblebee so possibly no need to order.
I've been taking clippings from my plants where I only have one; so far so good. I'm testing root development in 1. ProMix, 2. WonderSoil, 3. Washed Coir with perlite added.
Curious if you use a rooting hormone or not needed or not desirable?
Thanks, Larry