Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 27, 2013   #436
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Levent, how cool is that photo. I think I'll do an experiment with something transparent too. It would sure give me a good indicator when the pot becomes filled up with a good root suppy. This tread is so interesting every time I come here I learn something for all of you.

Without holes in the bottom, is it a matter of careful watering and a very deep cup?
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2013   #437
Levent
Tomatovillian™

Zeroma you're right, without bottom/side holes you have to check the water level regularly/frequently.Deeper cups are better than shallow ones.They keep much water in the bottom.Overwatering/drowning risk and water loss due to evaporation is also less than shallow pots.
Levent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #438
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I saw a product called EcoTraction in stores here. The MSDS says that it is potassium-cacium-sodium-aluminosilicate and a hydrothermal volcanic material. The web site also says that plants can grow in it. I wonder if this is same or similar as DE.

It is quite pricey, but the only other similar product available here is red moler clay cat litter, which has fragrance with it, so I may try also this for seed starting and growing plants.

Sari
Old March 7, 2013   #439
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalli View Post
I saw a product called EcoTraction in stores here. The MSDS says that it is potassium-cacium-sodium-aluminosilicate and a hydrothermal volcanic material. The web site also says that plants can grow in it. I wonder if this is same or similar as DE.

It is quite pricey, but the only other similar product available here is red moler clay cat litter, which has fragrance with it, so I may try also this for seed starting and growing plants.

Sari
I wouldn't use clay, at least I don't think you want clay. DE is not clay but holds water very well.

Ecotraction link to info about using in the garden.
http://www.ecotraction.com/Course_en...?jumptopage=11

I think this would probably be a good alternative to DE. Don't use the clay, it will clump and it wouldn't provide enough aeration to the roots.

I am definitely interested in how this ecotraction stuff would work and would like to hear how your experiment goes. Good luck.

Hmm, this ecotraction is available nearby to me, about a half hour drive. I will have to keep this in mind so I can try it for the next seedling.
Store search http://www.ecotraction.com/search.php

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; March 7, 2013 at 07:17 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #440
beeman
Tomatovillian™

I was beginning to lose hope of using DE this season. Here in Ontario, Canada all I could find in the Dollar stores was clay or Sodium Benonite, not at all what I need.
Today I found a garage supply they had "Qualisorb #628N, Calcined Diatomite in 22 Litre" bags. Yipeeee.
I Googled it and it came up as DE. How about that? Still under 2 feet of snow, but at least it's warming up, so springs on it's way.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #441
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Sorry about your snow; but I wouldn't mind one month of really cold weather every couple of years to help kill back the fusarium and nematodes along with other pests that love our warm winters. The last few years we have not had many days in the twenties and none in the low twenties.

I think you will be really pleased with the results of using DE as a seed starter. It is so easy to work with and seeds just seem to sprout faster and with higher germination rates.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #442
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalli View Post

Sari
potassium-cacium-sodium-aluminosilicate and the fact that it has a honeycombe pourous structure tells me it is a Clinoptilolite Zeolite. It's not a soft clay, it's actually a very porous weathered rock that was formed from volcanic ash that landed in alkaline bodies of water eons ago. It is used as a soil amendment to increase cation exchange, but it would not be ideal on it's own as a seed starting medium because its high cation exchange is extremely high, it's like a super sponge for Nitrogen especially. It is best used pre-charged with nutrients to balance out the high cation exchange ratio. I saw a field study from Texas A&M a while back where they amended part of a field with raw Zeolite to grow peppers, the peppers in that part of the field suffered from poor growth initially because the Zeolite sucked up a lot of the nitrogen from the fertilizer that was applied leaving little for the plants. After the cation exchange points are filled in the Zeolite, then it makes a good sink for nutrient exchange in the soil.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #443
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Like a cation tug-o-war between the roots and the zeolyte?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #444
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

RayR your a wealth of information! Always learning something new here.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #445
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
I was beginning to lose hope of using DE this season. Here in Ontario, Canada all I could find in the Dollar stores was clay or Sodium Benonite, not at all what I need.
Today I found a garage supply they had "Qualisorb #628N, Calcined Diatomite in 22 Litre" bags. Yipeeee.
I Googled it and it came up as DE. How about that? Still under 2 feet of snow, but at least it's warming up, so springs on it's way.
You may have a winner there, the MSDS for Qualisorb #628N says the PH is 7.0.

You also have Diatomite Canada in Ontario that distributes horticultural grade Australian Diatomite. You might want to check them out, I can get it here across the border from the local Hydroponics store, but it's a bit expensive.
Old March 7, 2013   #446
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Like a cation tug-o-war between the roots and the zeolyte?
Pretty much. Botanicare recently came out with a couple coco/zeolite growing mediums, COCOROX and SLACKER that illustrate the point, they pre-charge their zeolite with their Pure Blend Pro nutrients. They even sell their pre-charged Zeolite blend alone as an amendment which they call Hydrolite

I've been playing around with Zeolite myself as an amendment since last summer and made my own coco/zeolite mix this winter to try it with Alpine Strawberries indoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delerium View Post
RayR your a wealth of information! Always learning something new here.
Thanks, I actually ran across a lot info on other minerals when researching DE.
Let me make something clear. I'm not a geologist, but occasionally I might play one here on TV.
Old March 8, 2013   #447
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

I've been browsing this thread and want to give DE a try. Any tips for the best lb/price ratio? I see moltan ultrasorb at orielly for $8 (25lbs), or $6 (15lbs) at autozone. Do the cat litter brands beat that price at a stable PH? Thanks for any help!
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2013   #448
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevn357 View Post
I've been browsing this thread and want to give DE a try. Any tips for the best lb/price ratio? I see moltan ultrasorb at orielly for $8 (25lbs), or $6 (15lbs) at autozone. Do the cat litter brands beat that price at a stable PH? Thanks for any help!
I have only used the Ultrasorb from Auto Zone and it has been fantastic. I see no need to try anything else at this point unless it becomes hard to get. Fifteen pounds when using egg cartons for trays will go a very long way. It is so much cheaper than any other seed starting mix and so easy to use. I find the size of the Utrasorb to be just about perfect for any size seed that I will be transplanting except beans which I prefer to plant in potting soil because it clings to their limited roots better.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2013   #449
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

RayR,

I'm about to start my tomato seeds and don't recall if you cover your egg cartons with Saran Wrap or put the cartons in plastic bags. I don't think you do because the DE stays moist enough.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2013   #450
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
RayR,

I'm about to start my tomato seeds and don't recall if you cover your egg cartons with Saran Wrap or put the cartons in plastic bags. I don't think you do because the DE stays moist enough.
I've never used egg cartons, I use nursery trays and cell packs for most things, but it's the same basic thing. I always place a humidity dome on top, because you still lose a lot of moisture from evaporation on a heat mat.. Ya, I would cover them with something until they pop up.