Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 28, 2019   #46
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I didn't say or mean that you or any one particular person was against change, Worth. But yes, there are some who want to go back to the way things used to be, to bring back coal, to increase drilling for oil in new areas and sensative environments. I have even heard them inerviewed on the news that they don't want to "hear about learning a new trade, I want to keep doing what I have been doing". And I am not sure I have ever heard that we are the worst, but I am sure someone has said it. But we have some influlence but little control over what other people do. We have much more control over what we do.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2019   #47
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
To get back on subject being in a warmer climate due to this change is not as it may seem.
Case in point are some of my plants.
My pomegranate put out leaves early this year, way early only to be frozen back later.
If it would nave gotten colder it would have killed it back to the ground due to the sap freezing and busting the trunks.

This is something we're getting here for sure - mixed up climate! You can get full on summer temperatures almost any time now, followed by hard freezes.

This effect is really challenging for the crops that bloom early - nuts for one are earliest, then some fruits etc. This is what happens with the hazels I planted here, almost every year because they will bloom as soon as temperature agrees never waiting for day length or another sign. Our climate has always been up and down unpredictable but what is normal for us is getting more extreme as well.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2019   #48
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I didn't say or mean that you or any one particular person was against change, Worth. But yes, there are some who want to go back to the way things used to be, to bring back coal, to increase drilling for oil in new areas and sensative environments. I have even heard them inerviewed on the news that they don't want to "hear about learning a new trade, I want to keep doing what I have been doing". And I am not sure I have ever heard that we are the worst, but I am sure someone has said it. But we have some influlence but little control over what other people do. We have much more control over what we do.

I didn't think you said you did.

I'm positive that people in the 1800's said they didn't want to learn how to run a steam ship and all they wanted to do was sail.
The anti steam ship people said a steam ship would ruin tea.
It didn't.
But that new technology finally won out and it took economics to do it.
As the steam engine advanced so did the distance it could economically travel and make money.
Less fuel to haul and more cargo.
The Suez canal spelled the end for sailing ships.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2019   #49
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

What kills me about wanting to bring back coal, is bllack lung. I have seen interviews with families where the Dad HAS black lung, is sick, and the son insists all they want to do is work in the mines. From a distance this seems like crazyness. Admittedly, when I worked for a law firm we did personal injury cases, defense side, and l had to look at literally thousands of cases of people with debilitating lung disease, and look at what exposures they had and exactly which type of disease they had. Smoking was always a biggie. So was Asbestos. Then Coal and Silica. Asbestos has mostly gone the way of the dinasaurs, but we are trying to increase use of coal? They didn't seem to care about jobs and money when got rid of Asbestos because it was killing people. How can we justify doing this with coal? SMH. I don't think its going to work anyway, but it has stuck around much longer than Asbestos.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2019   #50
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I knew people that had black lung from the coal mines.
Old April 28, 2019   #51
bower
Tomatovillian™

One of the wierdest things I read recently about climate change, they said that in areas where a lot of coal is burned, it actually has a cooling effect on the area because of the SO2 sulfur dioxide emissions. It doesn't stop other effects of climate change, just the warming part is blocked by the sulfur pollution.
Old April 28, 2019   #52
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I worked at a facility where coal was burned to produce steam. The coal fired boilers were so strictly regulated the company had to spend a ton of money to install scrubbers and filters so that the SO2 release was zero. No warming blocked in that area I guess.
Old April 28, 2019   #53
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
I worked at a facility where coal was burned to produce steam. The coal fired boilers were so strictly regulated the company had to spend a ton of money to install scrubbers and filters so that the SO2 release was zero. No warming blocked in that area I guess.
You're right - It was strictly the SO2 having a cooling effect, so zero release would mean, no such effect.

Another strange thing I read about recently - I was looking for info about our "North Atlantic warming hole" and I found some articles about another 'warming hole' affecting the US, but it sounded pretty complicated with multiple causes and two different places winter and summer... so maybe this is more than one thing?

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-polar-...southeast.html
Old April 28, 2019   #54
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
Here's an article about the melting permafrost on Svalbard, a marvelous Norwegian arctic archipelago I've visited both winter and summer. It's another symptom of the accelerating deterioration of the environment: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/26/e...ntl/index.html

Here's why melting permafrost is so dangerous: https://phys.org/news/2018-12-permafrost-climate.html

Steve

Steve thank you for posting that. The story about Svalbard is heartbreaking. I hope the seed vault is going to be okay too.
Old April 30, 2019   #55
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have been gardening in the same place for over forty years and have had ups and downs regularly. We had a drought period that lasted over 20 years and during that time most of the winters were very mild. In that forty plus years there have not been but a few really long cold winters and the worst one was less than a decade ago. The past two springs have been slightly cooler than normal as my most common plant out date over the years for tomatoes was at the end of the first week of march with my second most common plant out date being on the 13th or 14th of March. This year and last I was setting out my first big planting of tomatoes the third week of March. Don't know what to make of all the changes but they continue.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019   #56
throwaway
Tomatovillian™

Interestingly, there is a big push to lower sulfur emissions from cargo ships, be it through better refined fuels or scrubbers.

Also in reference back to my last post about optimism, here's the fanciest veggie burger flying off the shelves - https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...-burgers-grows
throwaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2019   #57
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Austin Texas is going to replace their natural gas buses to electric.
Generated in large part by natural gas and coal.
It's a win win deal for everyone.
Old July 19, 2019   #58
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

In my area the old timers would say,'its snows every winter, most winters more than once, some winters 3-4 times. We are now half way through our fourth winter in a row with no snow on the ground. Frosts are much lighter now, 20 years ago the grass would be frost burnt yellow, grows all winter now. Big rainfall events have become rare where once we would have had one good dump of rain per year. Apart from that summers have remain much the same though.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #59
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I knew people that had black lung from the coal mines.
I currently have patients with black lung,from families of black lung deaths. Anbestosis. Of coarse,being in tobacco country,patients with lung cancer and other awful smoking diseases. Diseases from pesticides of all sorts of pesticides including the awful agent orange and roundup, along with strong insecticides used with abandon in this farming country.
I also have patients who have been exposed and sickened by coal ash dumped near drinking water sources and in fishing/hunting areas.
We saw two devastating hurricanes in two years in NC yet I see so many climate change deniers in my clinic on a daily basis. I can understand those with strong religious convictions but this crazy cult following our nation’s corrupt path into stripping our EPA ,CDC and other agencies of any and all scientific basis in policy just because somebody else’s administration endorsed it is going to take our children generations to undo, if it can ever be undone.
In the meantime, I’ll do my part as I grow what I can, cut back on carbon waste and pollution, do things to capture small amounts of carbon through out 21 acres of forest,swamp and bamboo and limit the amount of meat we get from the store.
We need to stop deforestation,using coal and we need to start going towards renewable, carbon neutral or negative healthy technologies. This may mean plan based lifestyles eating less meat,newer,less polluting fish farming,aquaponics,real pastured raised meat ( not faux, as in chicken with a 2x2 fake pasture, growing our own food and buying locally. Plus, planting
That includes less factory meat and egg farming. Impossible burgers are delicious,as is home grown, pasture fed meat of all sorts.ive even tried vegan and I could easily do that too. It could also mean using alternate fuels for everything from electricity, heat and transportation. Replant any unused acres and rest acres by planting carbon friendly plants to restore carbon, embrace carbon negative technologies and research. Consider alternative for water conservation besides just austerity-rainwater trapping, greening the desert,hydroponics and aquaponic farming.

Last edited by Tracydr; July 20, 2019 at 06:27 AM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #60
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Here where we are in the Land of Oz is definitely warming up. Weather reports on news routinely mention that each month passed was hotter than the long term average by a degree or two and charts shown show a steady increase in average temp over the last fourty or so years. When I was growing up, we used to get snow that settled on the ground, as against sleet, at least once a year, occasionally twice and rarely 3 times a year, then came the big dry that lasted about 10 years, starting in 1999 and Mum and Dad, who are still on the same farm, have not seen snow settle since, and even sleet has become rare. Must feel for some of the inland station folks who have had no rain for 2 years and are walking off stations. Some kids have not seen rain since they were born.
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote