Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.
|
|
July 16, 2021 | #46 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Hello Ddsack,
actually, I wasn't quite right when I wrote that there wasn't a sign of ripening. In the morning the following day I noticed 3 toms on Start 1 (one stem only) started blushing. Start 2 and 3 are still as green as before. And I counted the numbers of trusses on each of them today: Start 1 - 8, Start 2 - 11 and Start 3 - 16. Milan HP |
July 17, 2021 | #47 |
Tomatovillian™
|
That's great, Milan! You should have some to eat soon! I noticed that my 2nd plant now has one blushing as well, plus a couple more on the first plant. But the tomato I brought into the house still is not red enough to taste test. So far, I have had about 6 mature Stupice fruit. I am waiting for a side by side taste test of the two varieties. I can see that Start F1 will be more productive, but not as early.
July 17, 2021 | #48 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
Vladimír |
|
July 17, 2021 | #49 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
It is logical that tomatoes will ripen later on a plant with more stems. No need to try it. The difference is whether one root feeds 8 inflorescences or 16. This will delay maturation. I do not understand why I would grow Start F1 on a few stems and lose one of its highest values - early. To speed up ripening, it is recommended to cut the plant behind the second inflorescence (Stupice). There is a smaller harvest, but the fruits are very early. Vladimír |
|
July 17, 2021 | #50 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Milan,
Thank you so much for your comment. I really thought I had blown it, growing these tall tomatoes in 3 gallon containers, and that they were dying. I will give them some Mag/Phos today and see if that will revive them . Linda |
July 17, 2021 | #51 |
Tomatovillian™
|
My first Start S is blushing (barely). We have had a very wet, dreary July, but amazingly very little splitting, and only one Ruby Crush plant (in dirt) shows any Septoria.
|
July 20, 2021 | #52 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Hello Vladimir,
it seems to be logical but I have learnt that Mother Nature doesn't always follow our logic. Yes, I know you're skeptical about my observations (perhaps rightly so). So, I'll tell you and the others the latest news: Start 3 has developed some blush as well, unlike S2. Not very logical, is it? Well, I just want to get some hands-on data to go by. Yes, anyone can object that the conditions are not identical. They can't be with living organisms, but I have tried to get as close as I can. I just wonder if there are other studies related to the same thing. I'd like to compare. Milan HP |
July 20, 2021 | #53 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
|
|
July 20, 2021 | #54 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Hello Oliver,
I am not sure if Vladimir's scheme is still in operation, but if not, I can send you some. No problem at all. Well, in my post I didn't say that the marks in taste the first S1 toms got (from me, of course) were 7.5 and 8 (on a 0 - 10 scale). Not really a bad school report for the very start of the season. There's a small flaw: 8 out of 10 of my first toms (no matter what variety) were cracked. Not badly, but still. I put it down to the cold weather spell they had to get through after plant-out and high humidity and temp fluctuations recently. It's never happened to me before, I mean start-of-season cracking. Milan HP |
July 21, 2021 | #55 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
|
|
July 30, 2021 | #56 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Here in CT, I am having the WORST year of gardening I've ever had! The rain, the heat, seems like everything except my jalapenos are unhappy. Anytime stuff gets to blossom, we get a wave of heat and I get blossom drop. All plants are stunted, affected - EXCEPT Start F1!!!!
We have pulled over 30 fruit from our 1 plant. Fruit ranges from 1.5 oz to 2.0 oz but I have had a couple over that with the biggest at 2.45 oz. The size is perfect for snacking, salads, burgers or just sliced and eaten as is. They have what I would consider a 'true' tomato taste and pair well in a salad with some Sunsugars tossed in. I started 2 plats - gave 1 to a friend who lives about 30 - 40 mins south of us. He has lots of fruit but none ripened yet. We are really enjoying our Start F1! Thank you for sharing with us!!!! |
July 30, 2021 | #57 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Once I allowed Start tomatoes to ripen properly, I really enjoyed the taste. It's a productive and early tomato, and I look forward to growing them again next year.
Thanks again, Linda |
July 30, 2021 | #58 |
Tomatovillian™
|
|
July 31, 2021 | #59 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Start S has been producing steadily for the last 1-2 weeks. It is a good tomato for sure. In its ~10 gallon tub, it provides mostly 3-4 oz tomatoes. There is some sun scald, so the tops of most tomatoes must be cut off. Sunscald has been an issue here this year with all of my regular-size toms. It also has some circular cracking. It reminds me of Early Girl, but about a week or so later here in zone 5b. Flavor? It has a good red tomato taste, similar to Early Girl (IMO). I would certainly grow it again if the seeds were easily available for purchase.
Last edited by Greatgardens; July 31, 2021 at 05:48 AM. |
August 7, 2021 | #60 |
Tomatovillian™
|
It rains every day (40 mm yesterday) and my tomatoes crack a lot. This also applies to Start F1, but this variety is usually able to heal the crack and does not mold like other tomatoes. Every loss is sorry, but without a roof there is nothing to do against excessive rain.
Vladimír |
|
|