Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 12, 2015   #1
Irv Wiseguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You see this thing in the picture?
It is a wood moulder and costs many thousands of dollars.
My boss fired the guy he hired to run it before he even got the chance to run the thing.
The boss came up to me and asked me to set it up and run it.
I told him sure but I dont know a darn thing about it, someones going to have to show me.

I was scared to death the first time I started it up.
A thousand things can go wrong and kill someone.
Two years later I was training the bosses son to run it.

We all have to start somewhere.
Worth,

This is weird. I've never seen that machine before, but a couple weeks ago I had a dream that I had a chocolate winnowing machine in my living room and it looked just like that, except it was in off-white

Irv
Irv Wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
EarthBox is a great solution if you really don't want to DIY. But most will tell you that you should really only put one plant in it, whereas you can get two in a EarthTainer built to the recommended size.
Quote:
I occasionally see that advice but have learned over the years it is from well meaning folks who really don't follow or understand the EB growing system. EB instructions are designed for total yield. I, and most folks I know plant two tomato plants per EB.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #3
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

When you place two plants, do you put a "strip" of fertilizer in the middle...what do you use and how much...and do you use the cover? I usually plant basil or another under the tomato plants, not with EB?
birdermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdermom View Post
When you place two plants, do you put a "strip" of fertilizer in the middle...what do you use and how much...and do you use the cover? I usually plant basil or another under the tomato plants, not with EB?
This may help you.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2y2QUifx2gg
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post

I occasionally see that advice but have learned over the years it is from well meaning folks who really don't follow or understand the EB growing system. EB instructions are designed for total yield. I, and most folks I know plant two tomato plants per EB.
+1
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #6
elight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

You certainly can. I have also planted large plants in 5 gallon buckets. But I have found that you will get better yields from larger containers. I would be shocked if someone planted two full-sized plants in an EarthBox and the same two full-sized plants in an EarthTainer, and found that they gave the same yield. (If you planted two dwarves in each, maybe they would.)

Anyone have a child who needs a science fair project? =)
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #7
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
You certainly can. I have also planted large plants in 5 gallon buckets. But I have found that you will get better yields from larger containers. I would be shocked if someone planted two full-sized plants in an EarthBox and the same two full-sized plants in an EarthTainer, and found that they gave the same yield. (If you planted two dwarves in each, maybe they would.)

Anyone have a child who needs a science fair project? =)
Your comment was about planting one verses the EB recommended two tomato plants in an EARTHBOX. I'm sure you could plant in huge trash cans and increase your yield also. My point is that the EB system is designed to work best using THEIR guidelines as opposed to those found by, again, well meaning folks on forums.
Old March 12, 2015   #8
elight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm sure you could plant in huge trash cans and increase your yield also.
I think you're making my point for me. The OP, I assume, is interested in the most efficient yield. I believe that to get the same yield you would get from one EarthTainer, you would need to plant two EarthBoxes. (Yes, you could put two plants in one EarthBox, but as I believe we've established, this won't produce the same yield.) As such, I think when comparing costs, the OP needs to compare the cost of one EarthTainer versus the cost of two EarthBoxes.

Many are saying "well, an EarthBox is cheaper/the same/not much more than building an EarthTainer" ... but that is not an apples-to-apples comparison in terms of potential yield.
Old March 12, 2015   #9
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
EarthBox is a great solution if you really don't want to DIY. But most will tell you that you should really only put one plant in it, whereas you can get two in a EarthTainer built to the recommended size.

You can build and EarthTainer with nothing more than a drill, kitchen shears, and something to cut the pipe (cheap hacksaw or pipe cutter). If course it will be much easier and cleaner if you have a jigsaw and a hole saw set.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, you can get these tools dirt cheap. They won't be the best quality by far but if you're not using them too often, they'll get the job done.

I think a lot of people are afraid to use a tool they've never used before (which for many, is any tool), but are always surprised how easy they are once they actually give it a shot.
Yep all of this is so true. I actually grow three tomatoes in my DIY 37 gallon tote. I love the size of the thing. I can go on vacation for two weeks and not have to worry about anything running dry. I used a drill and skillsaw to build mine but really you could do it with an exacto knife and then something to punch holes with.

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #10
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

EB is a very specific system. Those who follow the guidelines, at least out the door have good success. It is a "closed" system, meaning there is a plastic cover placed over the potting mix. I don't under plant with anything because with two ind toms in the box I don't want anything else competing for space of nutrients.

I now place about 2 cups of granular synthetic ferts down the middle, short side of the box. I like a Lily Miller product for my toms which is rated 5-10-10. I also supplement with a TBSP of "snack" Calcium Nitrate down the watering tube once a week. This helps prevent blossom end rot and adds supplement food.

EBs come with detailed instructions. I'm sure you could also look it up on line.
Old March 12, 2015   #11
elight
Tomatovillian™

Mine are entering their 5th season, but the first 3 of those seasons were only in partial sunlight, so not the best gauge. If you use the quality totes recommended by Ray, I think you'll easily get 5-7 years. He also recommends a sun protection spray which will surely also help (although I haven't invested in it).
Old March 13, 2015   #12
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

EB has always carried white in the past and I assume they still do. They are made to stand up to light and heat, again the inventor was a professional tomato grower in Florida designing them for his own use in the field.

I painted some new black plastic nursery containers a couple years ago. I purchased spray paint made for plastic. Some of it has peeled but most of it is still in place.
Old March 13, 2015   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just looked and they do carry white.
If you go to the bottom of the page of this link you will see the white ones.
http://earthbox.com/earthbox-systems...ng-system.html

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #14
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! If I decide to try any of the diy later I will know how to paint white...going to do that to some containers I use now.
birdermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2015   #15
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

I did break down and buy 4 Earthbox's and a pair of jr's today. Also bought some grow bags....
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote