Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 7, 2015   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think there should be two categories. One for big ugly fused messes and one for big beautiful singles.

Me too. As far as I understand it, huge fruit and propensity to fuse blossoms are two completely different traits. The latter seems more like a genetic defect to me. Fused fruit are not marketable; it's a waste, in my view anyway.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I think there should be two categories. One for big ugly fused messes and one for big beautiful singles.

Me too. As far as I understand it, huge fruit and propensity to fuse blossoms are two completely different traits. The latter seems more like a genetic defect to me. Fused fruit are not marketable; it's a waste, in my view anyway.

I totally agree and cant even add or explain how I feel any better.

It is like the deer antler contest where some deer have this crazy antler thing on their head that is malformed.
There is a separate category for it called non typical.
Tomatoes should have the same thing.

Thank you.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #3
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Time to roll

I hope you guys are still not hibernating? I have about a dozen candidates growing for a large tomato, getting some mega blossoms too, but I will wait a bit before I select my prize flowers. The BZ flower is 4 fused together, nice... but not yet.

I am putting the juice to them now, in a couple of weeks I should see some results, and hopefully many more mega blooms.
I also have a few varieties for my giant non fused tomato, we will see how that goes also
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1126.JPG (367.2 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg SANY1123.JPG (377.6 KB, 292 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #4
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default big fruit

I care about size to the extent that of 5 or 6 varieties, Big Beef is the smallest that I grow. I do sucker all my plants(about 70) and train on 6 ft oak stakes. I sometimes limit only 3 fruit to a cluster but have never tried to grow only one on a vine. I get big pinks and yellow/red fruit up to 3 lbs that from one bloom. I too disregard the fused bloom monsters. What I enjoy the most is taking bags of nice heirloom tomatoes to friends in my neighborhood, the local library girls and my family that lives close by. For me..Mortgage Lifter, Bearclaw, Mr Stripey and Hillbilly get big enough. I also get Cherokee Purple over a pound on occasion. But they will sometime try to set 6 or 7 fruit on one truss and likewise Big Beef so I wait till fruit are present and reduce those to three or four. With seventy plants I don't feel I need to get 30 or 40 fruit from ea plant. But there is no right or wrong way but only however you like to do it!
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015   #5
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
KarenO
Absolutely! Like Worth said, typical and non-typical.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015   #6
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
You guys need a woman in this contest.
Where is Pa Julia? I think there should be two categories. One for big ugly fused messes and one for big beautiful singles. (Such as the one in my avatar.... )

KarenO
XX definitely required here, great you're joining in the fun!

Your Tundra should prove a worthy gladiator.

Last edited by Gerardo; December 8, 2015 at 11:12 PM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2015   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Case in point, Giant Roo: http://i.imgur.com/UaJjwWL.jpg

Huge fruit, but I didn't get any fused blossoms.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2015   #8
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato

I want to play too. lol
I think that is a great idea, I suggest Delicious, BZ, German Queen may work too, big perfect fruit. I may have to prune one this year to see.
This is a 3.5lb Delicious from a single blossom, I have a bunch of seed from this fruit if ya-all want some
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0458.JPG (376.5 KB, 388 views)

Last edited by AKmark; December 7, 2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old December 7, 2015   #9
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I got seeds for that in the MMMM swap, looks to be an attractive "giant" tomato, If i grow it like a reg tomato not culling any fruit would they still be some that big or did you cull all but 1?

Quote:
Work Release Paste - 2 lb. 3.2 oz., 2 lb. 6.6 oz., 2 lb. 1.3 oz., 2 lb. 5.2 oz., 2 lb. 9.5 oz., 2 lb. 2 oz.
Also got seeds for this paste and had no idea they could get so big, it is on the grow list now for sure
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2015   #10
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

That was culled to two fruits, but was not a nice plant. I have some pics in the container section of Delicious plants that are grown for production, it is a massive producer for me. I get fruit from 1-2lbs consistently, some trusses weigh 6-8lbs maybe.
I think they are delicious too, I pick them about 3/4 ripe and finish them in inside to that deep red color, they are one of our favorites.
My worst complaint is the size of them at the market, one tomato can be pretty expensive.
I got Rozovyi Myod a couple of years ago and got a 2.5lb fruit from a plant that was loaded with fruit, I think I am going to work with a couple of those too.

Last edited by AKmark; December 7, 2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old December 7, 2015   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Mark, that is a Beaut! I have grown delicious and like it very much as well.
Mine I call Tundra, an F3 of one of my crosses.
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2015   #12
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Karen, that is a really pretty tomato, prune one back and give it a try.

I did the right thing and simply asked Tatiana what she thought, she is looking at this for me. I will post her suggestions for everyone to try.

Thinking back, I also had a Caspian Pink that threw a 2.975lb tomato a couple of years ago from an unculled plant, I am going to try a culled one this year too as another suggestion, they really grew large tomatoes for me.
Old December 8, 2015   #13
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Brutus
Brutus is a variety released to the market by Moravoseed (140) in 2008. To this daythis company has the exclusive right to this variety. Catalogue EU in the Annex.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brutus.JPG (133.5 KB, 367 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; December 8, 2015 at 03:47 AM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2015   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Brutus
Brutus is a variety released to the market by Moravoseed (140) in 2008. To this daythis company has the exclusive right to this variety. Catalogue EU in the Annex.
Vladimír
Thanks Vladimir.

To be honest I don't care that much about the country of origin of Brutus, I'm much more interested in the variety itself and the fact that it has had several names that refer to it.

Which is why I hope that Marv stops by and can help me determine if what I have, from the conflicting info I posted above, is what most are calling it now, and that's Brutus Magnum.

Carolyn
Old April 15, 2016   #15
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Thanks Vladimir.

To be honest I don't care that much about the country of origin of Brutus, I'm much more interested in the variety itself and the fact that it has had several names that refer to it.

Which is why I hope that Marv stops by and can help me determine if what I have, from the conflicting info I posted above, is what most are calling it now, and that's Brutus Magnum.

Carolyn
Keep in mind I'm only up to page 4 of 7...

Does the "Magnum" part have anything to do with Chuck Wyatt's "Magnum" tomato?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote