Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Closed Thread

Old June 9, 2017   #46
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
there aren't very many compact/determinate hearts out there. I think the world needs a few more, especially maybe some PL ones.... hmm
KarenO
methinks so too.....do you know anybody who could arrange that ?

snicker ....yet more projects ? ....
Old June 9, 2017   #47
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes,lots of experience since I'm the one who introduced it back in 2008.

I did the search for you and yes, Mike at Victory Seeds is still offering it

http://www.victoryseeds.com/search.a...y=11&search=GO

Click on the fruit to see the history and you'll see that I was the one who sent this variety to Mike.

Carolyn

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Anna_Maria%27s_Heart

Thanks .Carolyn ....and now I will have to gather some more

for 2018 season procurement .......

these ones look good.
Old June 9, 2017   #48
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
there aren't very many compact/determinate hearts out there. I think the world needs a few more, especially maybe some PL ones.... hmm
KarenO
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
methinks so too.....do you know anybody who could arrange that ?

snicker ....yet more projects ? ....
If it's in accordance with Tomatoville's rules, I'd like to start a contest, given cooperation!

Everyone who wants Black Bear Heart to come to be can pledge a prize for the winner. (So, that way we only have to trust the pledgers instead of one person holding it all, unless we have someone everyone would trust.) Pledges can be whatever (anything from money to pickles to seeds to whatever you think will motivate people). If money's not allowed, we could just do other prizes.

Anyway, the first person to find or breed a satisfactory heart version of Black Bear, according to both their own and Carolyn's judgement (if she's willing), would get the prizes. People could retract or amend pledges before the judging begins, however (but this is discouraged if possible). The winner would be named Black Bear Heart.

So, do you think it's a good idea? It might last years (so, that's why the provision for amending pledges). We'd want another thread for it, though. So, I'm just seeing what you think.

Or if we want a tomato that matches certain criteria for the contest (e.g. PL, compact, heart, not late, great taste), we could do that instead of Black Bear Heart. We could have a panel of judges to see which one is best.

The most compact PL variety I know about personally is Glacier. Maybe if we crossed it with a big heart tomato that might lead to something.

Last edited by shule1; June 9, 2017 at 03:06 AM.

Old June 9, 2017   #49
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
If it's in accordance with Tomatoville's rules, I'd like to start a contest, given cooperation!

Everyone who wants Black Bear Heart to come to be can pledge a prize for the winner. (So, that way we only have to trust the pledgers instead of one person holding it all, unless we have someone everyone would trust.) Pledges can be whatever (anything from money to pickles to seeds to whatever you think will motivate people). If money's not allowed, we could just do other prizes.

Anyway, the first person to find or breed a satisfactory heart version of Black Bear, according to both their own and Carolyn's judgement (if she's willing), would get the prizes. People could retract or amend pledges before the judging begins, however (but this is discouraged if possible). The winner would be named Black Bear Heart.

So, do you think it's a good idea? It might last years (so, that's why the provision for amending pledges). We'd want another thread for it, though. So, I'm just seeing what you think.

Or if we want a tomato that matches certain criteria for the contest (PL, compact, heart, not late, great taste), we could do that instead of Black Bear Heart. Maybe we could call that BlackBear's Heart (since it need not be related to the Black Bear tomato), and we could have a panel of judges to see which one is best.
If it was a heart version of the Black Bear variety..sounds good ...

by getting a Heart fruit shape mutation
of the same plant seems a tall order to me .

I think many of the best ones are just noticed and discovered by fluke and kept

by avid gardeners ...it is real work to ....to get some of these....new ones

by synthesis ...etc.
Old June 9, 2017   #50
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
If it was a heart version of the Black Bear variety..sounds good ...

by getting a Heart fruit shape mutation
of the same plant seems a tall order to me .

I think many of the best ones are just noticed and discovered by fluke and kept

by avid gardeners ...it is real work to ....to get some of these....new ones

by synthesis ...etc.
Hence my mention of it potentially taking years.

I edited my last comment before you posted.

Part of the idea is to get people to grow it more. More stuff will likely be found if more people grow it. Anyway, is it a requirement, by convention, that a heart version of a variety be a mutant, or can it be a cross as long as it's close enough? I read about the need for stabilizing some of them earlier in this thread, I thought. That seems to indicate that those were crosses, or at least a dominant mutation on only one allele.

If no one's excited about it, I don't plan to pursue it, though. I've got lot's of stuff I should probably do instead!

Last edited by shule1; June 9, 2017 at 05:42 AM.

Old June 9, 2017   #51
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
Hence my mention of it potentially taking years.

I edited my last comment before you posted.

Part of the idea is to get people to grow it more. More stuff will likely be found if more people grow it. Anyway, is it a requirement, by convention, that a heart version of a variety be a mutant, or can it be a cross as long as it's close enough? I read about the need for stabilizing some of them earlier in this thread, I thought. That seems to indicate that those were crosses, or at least a dominant mutation on only one allele.

If no one's excited about it, I don't plan to pursue it, though. I've got lot's of stuff I should probably do instead!

I had a good "Larf " and chuckle this morning over this one...

As I don't plan to pursue it either !

I am too busy with my years of backlog of trial of varieties and other

Tomato types of puttering .... seed cleaning Lab .time ...

building /rebuilding a custom size dome to fit a small tunnel etc.

This thread has been successful enough for me to identify new varieties to try enough to get me into trouble and keep me busy for a few years at least .

still giggling over the basic notion and premise though.....

It is though a great idea.....

Last edited by BlackBear; June 9, 2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old June 10, 2017   #52
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Carolyn, I know what you mean-I get attacked all the time-even over what I eat for crying out loud. Got a few attackers/mockers on Ignore. Too bad I couldn't ignore the mod who "scolded" me for asking people not to post about eating rabbit. Sc-r-w her. And I'd be proud to be evicted, haha, over this post!

Granting your wish, you psychotic effing nutjob.

You begged me to restore your membership after I banned you for this same exact behavior a couple of years ago and stupid me, I felt badly for you and did so.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice,
you are banned for the remainder of your miserable life.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Closed Thread