Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2006   #1
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Supergirl,

Sure I read this thread as you asked. Haven't you seen the several posts I've made when you read through?

When I say blemish free I'm not talking about BER. I'm talking about lack of black stiching, hollows and high points, large blossom scars, belly buttons and the like.

All of the varieties in the book I've grown several times, some more than others and when i say I've not seen any BER that pertains to my conditions where they were grown, how I grow them and all else, and should not and cannot be applied to other regions and how others grow their tomatoes and the weather in those areas and how much they irrigate if they don't live in an area such as mine where the water falls from the sky .

Growing in containers is a whole other issue and none of the varieties in my book were grown by me in containers for almost always they are grown by sprawling in a large field.

But hopefully those that have little to no BER for me might be ones to take a look/see at to see how they do inground in your own area.
Old July 24, 2006   #2
supergirl
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, thank you for your very quick answer! I knew you checked in now and then, but wasn't sure how regularly you visit a particular thread, since there are so many other threads (and forums) needing your attention as well.

I appreciate your very helpful clarification. That's what I suspected, since you did specifically call out BER for some varieties. I'm having better luck this year with the varieties I picked using the book for guidance, especially Boxcar Willie. Though I've still been able to inflict BER on a couple of varieties that you hadn't seen it on. I'm really enjoying the learning experience, though!
supergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2006   #3
billbird2111
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Just bought another copy of your book and shipped it off to my sister for her birthday. She's been growing tomatoes for years, but just recently started to invest more time in heirlooms, just like me.

Barnes and Noble should keep more copies of that book in stock. I had to drive all over town to get my copy. I know my sister will enjoy it very much.

I know this question must have been asked of you time and time again, but is there a chance that you'll write another book? A followup to the first one?
Old August 9, 2006   #4
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

Great Book. Haven't put it down since it arrived. Unfortunately I don't have the garden space for a 100 Tomatoes hehe but this book certainly makes me wish I did. I love the layout you used for the variety section. It is a nice guide book and I will deffinetly be adding my own notes to each variety I grow in the handy little space below your own notes! As others have said I really hope in the future there is perhaps a chance of a follow up book. I love just reading about each variety and maybe you can do a new book tittled a 1,000 Heirloom Tomatoes To Read About In Bed!
westocast73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2006   #5
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

What line of Mortgage Lifter
is featured in your book?
I was looking for that one,
and got something different this year -

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2006   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tom, the one pictured is the standard Radiator Charlie, aka Charlie Byles one.

I wanted to say more about the Estler strain, which I think is superior, but at the time, for various reason, it wasn't the think to do.

Most of the other strains are no different except for the Mullens strain which has light colored foliage.
Old August 16, 2006   #7
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

The picture in your book shows
a smooth red fruit ...
But the one I grew out
this year was pink, and flutted ~
I wanted the one in your book !!!

~ Tom
Old August 16, 2006   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

The picture in your book shows
a smooth red fruit ...

They may look red to you but as the info on the facing page says, they are a deep pink. If you were growing them and held them up against a red you'd see the difference and if there was any confusion all you'd have to do is to see if the epidermis is clear ( pink) or yellow ( red)

All the various ML's are pink. There is a different variety that was bred called Red Mortgage Lifter and you can read about it at Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.
Old August 17, 2006   #9
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

"You've got mail" ~

Tom
Old September 2, 2006   #10
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn this book is wonderful just the part on fermenting has paid for my book i just have one question you say it has a unique odor i must be doing something wrong because mine has a very god awful gag a magget putrid smell that you just know if it gets on you you are stained for life !! Ok enough of me trying to be funny (i'm on my pain meds. so i'm gonna be silly for at least the next hour) anyways as i'm a newbie to heirloom tomatoes your book is just perfect because it breaks down all the procedures and to me that helps out alot and the pictures i just can't say enough ! When i first started to learn about heirloom tomatoes i was always looking up different kinds to see what they look like and you see the most beautiful tomatoes but now in your book it shows how they really just might look (not all perfect) because if i being a newbie went to my garden and saw those ugly misshapen tomatoes i would think something was wrong and just never grow that kind again or worse yet just give up growing them altogether. (Thats right not everyone waxes their tomatoes HEE HEE ) ! Sorry for rambling on so long ! Anyways i'm gonna go read more of your book i'll probably have more questions later i just wanted to THANK YOU from all of us newbies and oldies alike for such a wonderful and informative book.

P.S. I just know Craig you are reading this so when can we expect to see your book ???

P.S.S. How much is that autograph up to now Carolyn ? if i send my own label will it be a little cheaper ?
Old September 5, 2006   #11
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn i hope my questions don't bother you but i do have a few one is these tomatoes you have in your book how did you come by picking these ? And my next question is the ones you say are not available commercially does that mean we can get them thru the SSE ? Thanks for such a wonderful book !
Old October 10, 2006   #12
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn -

How many books do you think
you've sold ?

~ Tom
Old October 10, 2006   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

How many books do you think
you've sold ?

I don't remember Tom. I get statements twice a year but don't really bother to look at them that closely.

I can tell you that I still owe Workman Press about 24K to come out of book sales and that to date I've not received one penny of royalties and don't expect to.

But that's OK b'c I was asked to write the book, I didn't do it for money and just wanted to share my tomato experiences with others.
Old October 12, 2006   #14
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Thats crazy !
You should have been paid for that
for all that work , knowledge, & sometimes stress !

~ Tom
(who thinks 24k is a low number; I think its got to be higher than that)
Old October 28, 2006   #15
'mater
Tomatovillian™

I got the book as a gift a few years back when I was first planting heirlooms. The info on the different varieties was a great introduction and still provides me with a good reference. This and all of the background info, particularly on seed saving make it a standard I come back to time and again. Thanks!
'mater is offline   Reply With Quote