Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 12, 2015   #46
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

EB is a very specific system. Those who follow the guidelines, at least out the door have good success. It is a "closed" system, meaning there is a plastic cover placed over the potting mix. I don't under plant with anything because with two ind toms in the box I don't want anything else competing for space of nutrients.

I now place about 2 cups of granular synthetic ferts down the middle, short side of the box. I like a Lily Miller product for my toms which is rated 5-10-10. I also supplement with a TBSP of "snack" Calcium Nitrate down the watering tube once a week. This helps prevent blossom end rot and adds supplement food.

EBs come with detailed instructions. I'm sure you could also look it up on line.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #47
elight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post

I occasionally see that advice but have learned over the years it is from well meaning folks who really don't follow or understand the EB growing system. EB instructions are designed for total yield. I, and most folks I know plant two tomato plants per EB.
You certainly can. I have also planted large plants in 5 gallon buckets. But I have found that you will get better yields from larger containers. I would be shocked if someone planted two full-sized plants in an EarthBox and the same two full-sized plants in an EarthTainer, and found that they gave the same yield. (If you planted two dwarves in each, maybe they would.)

Anyone have a child who needs a science fair project? =)
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #48
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdermom View Post
When you place two plants, do you put a "strip" of fertilizer in the middle...what do you use and how much...and do you use the cover? I usually plant basil or another under the tomato plants, not with EB?
This may help you.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2y2QUifx2gg
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #49
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
You certainly can. I have also planted large plants in 5 gallon buckets. But I have found that you will get better yields from larger containers. I would be shocked if someone planted two full-sized plants in an EarthBox and the same two full-sized plants in an EarthTainer, and found that they gave the same yield. (If you planted two dwarves in each, maybe they would.)

Anyone have a child who needs a science fair project? =)
Your comment was about planting one verses the EB recommended two tomato plants in an EARTHBOX. I'm sure you could plant in huge trash cans and increase your yield also. My point is that the EB system is designed to work best using THEIR guidelines as opposed to those found by, again, well meaning folks on forums.
Old March 12, 2015   #50
elight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I'm sure you could plant in huge trash cans and increase your yield also.
I think you're making my point for me. The OP, I assume, is interested in the most efficient yield. I believe that to get the same yield you would get from one EarthTainer, you would need to plant two EarthBoxes. (Yes, you could put two plants in one EarthBox, but as I believe we've established, this won't produce the same yield.) As such, I think when comparing costs, the OP needs to compare the cost of one EarthTainer versus the cost of two EarthBoxes.

Many are saying "well, an EarthBox is cheaper/the same/not much more than building an EarthTainer" ... but that is not an apples-to-apples comparison in terms of potential yield.
Old March 12, 2015   #51
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think you're making my point for me. The OP, I assume, is interested in the most efficient yield. I believe that to get the same yield you would get from one EarthTainer, you would need to plant two EarthBoxes. (Yes, you could put two plants in one EarthBox, but as I believe we've established, this won't produce the same yield.) As such, I think when comparing costs, the OP needs to compare the cost of one EarthTainer versus the cost of two EarthBoxes.

Many are saying "well, an EarthBox is cheaper/the same/not much more than building an EarthTainer" ... but that is not an apples-to-apples comparison in terms of potential yield.
Elight, how long does the 'tainer last? Most plastics break down in sunlight over a few years.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #52
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
What tools do you need?
Not that I dont have enough just asking for others.

Worth
I am being lazy and linking to my old blog post of how I did it. Hope that is cool.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #53
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
EarthBox is a great solution if you really don't want to DIY. But most will tell you that you should really only put one plant in it, whereas you can get two in a EarthTainer built to the recommended size.

You can build and EarthTainer with nothing more than a drill, kitchen shears, and something to cut the pipe (cheap hacksaw or pipe cutter). If course it will be much easier and cleaner if you have a jigsaw and a hole saw set.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, you can get these tools dirt cheap. They won't be the best quality by far but if you're not using them too often, they'll get the job done.

I think a lot of people are afraid to use a tool they've never used before (which for many, is any tool), but are always surprised how easy they are once they actually give it a shot.
Yep all of this is so true. I actually grow three tomatoes in my DIY 37 gallon tote. I love the size of the thing. I can go on vacation for two weeks and not have to worry about anything running dry. I used a drill and skillsaw to build mine but really you could do it with an exacto knife and then something to punch holes with.

Stacy
Old March 12, 2015   #54
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

This appears to be easier and less expensive. How long have you been using these...how are they "holding up"?
birdermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #55
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Elight, how long does the 'tainer last? Most plastics break down in sunlight over a few years.
My plastic bins have been out in the -20 to 102 temp ranges in direct sun for 4 years now and are just as strong as when I first built them. I never considered bringing them in. They were so cheap to build if they start breaking down I will just recycle them and build a new one.

Stacy
Old March 12, 2015   #56
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
This appears to be easier and less expensive. How long have you been using these...how are they "holding up"?
This will be season 5 for them and they are going strong, I will be shocked if I don't have at least another 3- 5 seasons in them. You should know that I am an idiot when it comes to tools, I rush things and don't follow directions, so I am very pleased that my interpretation of the standard direction set also works just fine....usually my projects have some issues. Heh.

Stacy

Last edited by bughunter99; March 12, 2015 at 11:36 PM.
Old March 12, 2015   #57
elight
Tomatovillian™

Mine are entering their 5th season, but the first 3 of those seasons were only in partial sunlight, so not the best gauge. If you use the quality totes recommended by Ray, I think you'll easily get 5-7 years. He also recommends a sun protection spray which will surely also help (although I haven't invested in it).
Old March 12, 2015   #58
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think I could make them, in fact it seems like a new challenge to me..lol...and will probably try as a winter project next year. This is the time of the year where there are so many activities going on that I will probably will just order EB to try and then try diy later. I have looked at the EB site and another, Mastergardening.com, and they are close in price, one cheaper on box but shipping high, other higher on box, but it has the rollers, fert, lime, and free shipping...any other suggestions of where to get cheaper, etc?
I bought EB from Mastergardening.com and everything went fine. If you spend $100, you get free shipping. I bought 2 (reduced price of $37), they come with the casters ($10) which I wanted, and with the replanting kit (that is sold for >$10; (I think closer for $13-15 which is insane). The replanting kit came with 3 plastic mulch covers. No shipping, no tax. I figured just the boxes were $37 - $10 (casters) - $5 (replanting kit with fert./dolomite lime worth about $7-8) ....so $22.

To meet the $100, I bought 3 extra caster kits (for my other EBs) that were on Dollys.

There is no choice of color - it is green.

BTW - After I ordered, I looked up the vendor on Davesgarden and it had horrible reviews. But all went well.

The benefit of buying directly from EB, is you get to pick your color - White stays so much cooler in the hot weather; the dark green I need to drape thick white plastic around.

If you want the casters, buying the EB this way is a good deal.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #59
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

This is turning into apples and oranges and I have no interest in trying to get it across to you. The inventor of Earthbox was a professional tomato grower in florida. He is the one who designed the system for his own commercial production. Apparently, he failed to check with you.
Old March 13, 2015   #60
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

I know the white would be better...can you paint, etc, the plastic that either the EB or the diy planter is made out of? I know that you can put a protective "coat" of something like we use on the kayaks to prevent breakdown. It would probably increase the life of both. Also, yield may be a factor for some, but just us two here now, and I garden for many reasons and yield isn't the most important to me at this time as long as each plant produces "something" whether it be a fruit, flower, etc. Sometimes the yield is too much around here and I am begging people to take extra..
birdermom is offline   Reply With Quote