Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2015   #46
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure disease resistance would be helpful where you live. Isn't it usually for diseases seen only in the south?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #47
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

hmmm never thought about it that way .......Celebrity Resistance: VFFNTASt, cracking/

I think the VFF part of disease resistance or VFA is a good thing to have here

and for N (nemetodes ) I think a companion planting of marigolds with the Tomatoes will help a long way to helping with out a "N" resistance .......I guess having the full string of disease letters does not matter if the Tomato plant does not cooperate and set fruit for some reason ........

As most others without the disease 'letters ' behind their name are going great guns and

producing fruit ....It would be nice to have a late blight resistance built in for here .

I am hoping the super disease resistance would lengthen the production if a cold rain comes early and marks the beginning of the end of the season here.

Again if Big beef with the same set of resistance is producing bucketfuls . It is hard to keep trying a variety that does not seem to like to produce early or much here .....
Old June 15, 2015   #48
travis
Tomatovillian™

I agree. Grow whatever appears to be best adapted to your location.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #49
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Default Pictures or drawings would help me

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf View Post
It confused me for years, but basically the semideterminate gene, sdt, is a modifier of the determinate habit and has no effect on indeterminate plants. The determinate varies between 1 and 2 nodes between flower clusters, whereas the semi-determinate always has 2.

From http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/.../1074.full.pdf
?!?: a simple stick type drawing would really help me 'see' the differences.

Anyone know where to find such a reference?

Zeroma
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #50
maf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post
?!?: a simple stick type drawing would really help me 'see' the differences.

Anyone know where to find such a reference?

Zeroma
I don't have a stick drawing to hand but maybe this photo might be some help? If you follow the main stem in this picture you can see there are 3 leaf nodes between each flower/fruit cluster indicating indeterminate growth.

Follow the stem and you will see a pattern of leaf; leaf; leaf; fruit cluster; leaf; leaf; leaf; fruit cluster and so on...

indie2.jpg
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #51
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I found this. But those three leaves (or two) there are not much to see. I do not know if this helps.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1251851_f520.jpg (66.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 1251855_f520.jpg (51.7 KB, 57 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #52
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the picture/illustration! it almost makes sense. HOWEVER:

Without going back and trying again to read what was confusing to me is this it:

Ind = leaf, leaf, leaf, flower leaf, leaf, leaf, flower (doesn't count the suckers)

Det = leaf, leaf, flower cluster, leaf, leaf, flower cluster

Semi Det = ???

are indeterinates 1 flower one fruit at a time?

are deterinates 1 cluster of flowers, like grape tomatoes

or isn't that simple?

I also recall something said about joints

Just want to get it into my head so I can teach the other fellow gardeners who all volunteer (like me) at our community garden.

And if I'm correct, you don't prune determinates. (EVER?)

We do prune the suckers and some of the excess growth from our Indeterminates.

What about the Semi-Determinates to prune or not to prune and how do you tell suckers that won't produce fruit on semi determinates?

Lots of curiosity here. I'm old, bear with me!!! But once I've got it, it's all good.

Zeroma
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #53
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have to chuckle when seed companies tell me that a plant "seldom needs staking" because it is determinate. Most of my determinates are giant six-foot tall hedges. They have overwhelmed their stakes. They want to collapse and fall over.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #54
bower
Tomatovillian™

Zeroma,

The indeterminate pattern is an infinite repeat of: cluster - 3 leaves - cluster - 3 leaves...

Determinate and semideterminate can have all kinds of leaf patterns, whether one or two or even three leaves or a variable number between clusters, but at some point every main stem and shoot will come to an end, as it's shown in the picture, a cluster with a leaf on the end which doesn't continue to grow.

There are different sizes of determinate plants, with different number of leaves (or pattern of number of leaves) between clusters, but they all terminate eventually. The term "semi-determinate" is referring to larger than usual determinate plants with 6 or more clusters on the main stem before they terminate.

Once the main stem has terminated, the extra fruit come from side shoots (suckers) which also terminate after several clusters. This is true of both determinate and semi-determinate plants.

I think a lot of the confusion has come about because the original 'determinate' plants were bred for mechanical harvest, and a number of traits that were relevant to that purpose were bred in for that reason but they aren't all traits that came from one gene. The 'determinate' gene is called sp for "self pruning" (no the plant doesn't prune itself either) -the name reflects the origin and purpose of that breeding program - farmers won't have to prune, call it self pruning. This gene specifically causes the stems to form a terminal bud. They also say that it " reduces the number of leaves between clusters" - but it doesn't actually control or determine the number of leaves, or pattern of leaves which is very variable. There are evidently other genes involved.

Likewise the "sp" gene doesn't control whether fruit will be all set first, before anything ripens - as if there was an either/or switch for "set fruit" and "ripen fruit" as some determinates do. This is a trait that was bred into the original determinates for mechanized production, but it's controlled by some other gene besides "sp".

So.. you can get various 'determinate' or 'semi-determinate' growth habits and ripening habits. But we are confused as to what a plant should be called, because we have lumped these traits together in what we expect of a 'determinate' plant. If it doesn't have all those expected traits, we think it must be "semi" something, or we don't know what to call it.

2 cents.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #55
maf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroma View Post

Without going back and trying again to read what was confusing to me is this it:

Ind = leaf, leaf, leaf, flower leaf, leaf, leaf, flower (doesn't count the suckers)

Det = leaf, leaf, flower cluster, leaf, leaf, flower cluster

Semi Det = ???

Zeroma
Bower has hade a very good post above, but I wanted to emphasize that the determinate habit often has just one leaf between flower/fruit clusters once they start flowering.
Old June 16, 2015   #56
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default How about "extended" determinate

hey wow ....all the info. super duper ! on a tough subject

so indeterminates do Not have to "terminate " growth in the season .

And determinates have a terminus of production eventually .

so the type of determinate expression that has an extended production then terminates .........

We are trying to call Semi determinate ....... ????

Why do we not just call these extended production ones ...

Extended determinates ? due to the extension before inevitable terminus .
Old June 16, 2015   #57
maf
Tomatovillian™

I have been meaning to grow a determinate variety in the greenhouse and prune and train it to one stem. It will be interesting to see if the growth terminates when grown in this fashion.
Old June 16, 2015   #58
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf View Post
I have been meaning to grow a determinate variety in the greenhouse and prune and train it to one stem. It will be interesting to see if the growth terminates when grown in this fashion.
are you saying you suspect there would be a lengthening of delay of eventual terminus

if all blossoms were only allowed to develop on one stem .?

....and that the plant hormones would just redirect or express the fruit potential onto the one trained stem ?

... production that would have occurred in the laterals that were 'pruned " ???.

or ..

is it not the case in determinates if one prunes. one just looses the potential of those fruiting branches ....as the terminus 'clock " of determinates will end on time no matter what ??
Old June 18, 2015   #59
maf
Tomatovillian™

I read an anecdotal post somewhere once that determinate plants can be grown pruned to a single stem, greenhouse style, and when grown in this fashion the main stem does not terminate but continues growing indefinitely. I have been meaning to try it out myself and see exactly how it works.
Old June 18, 2015   #60
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I would doubt that - even though I have seen all kinds of strange growth patterns. Why would pruning into one main branch change the genetics?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote