Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old October 27, 2013   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Talonstorm posted this wonderful recipe. I have loved for a few months, but find that I like it better when I substitute molassas for honey. Just my opinion.

Honey Garlic Grilled Eggplant

1 eggplant (2 if using small Italian eggplants)
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 mashed garlic cloves
1 tsp chili (optional)
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper
  1. Peel stripes of skin off the eggplant (looks striped). Slice eggplant into half inch thick circles.
  2. Lay on a large sheet of paper towels. Sprinkle eggplant with lots of salt on both sides and place on the paper towels. The eggplant will release lots of liquid. This will help get rid of bitterness (if any) and make the eggplant more succulent and less watery after it’s cooked. Let sit for 15 minutes, then dry both sides well with paper towels.
  3. In a large bowl, mix honey, olive oil, garlic, chili, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Dunk both sides of each eggplant slice into this marinade.
  4. Preheat the grill to high. Grab a wad of paper towel with tongs, dip it in oil, and brush it on the grill.
  5. Place the eggplant slices on the grill, cover, and turn down the heat to medium. Grill until marked, about 3 minutes. Turn 90 degrees to make cross-hatch grill marks. Grill until marked, about 3 more minutes.
  6. Brush the slices with remaining marinade, flip and repeat the grilling procedure on the other side. Regulate heat so that the eggplant is browning, but not burning. Remove to a plate, and drizzle with olive oil.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2015   #2
GardeningCook
Tomatovillian™

Tried this new recipe for Eggplant Parm last night, & it was WONDERFUL! In fact, the broiled mayonnaise/breadcrumb eggplant slices were terrific all on their own. I was lucky to have enough leftover to make the Parm after all our snacking - lol!

GardeningCook Eggplant Parmesan with Ricotta

2 to 4 medium eggplants – any type
Approx. 1 cup mayonnaise
Dry Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
8 oz. regular or part-skim ricotta cheese

Approx. 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ pound (or more to taste) grated mozzarella cheese
Approx. ¼ cup chopped fresh basil

1 jar of your favorite commercial pasta sauce, or equivalent amount of homemade.
Olive oil for pan oiling.

1. Cut eggplant into 1/2-inch-thick slices.

2. Using a pastry brush, thinly spread mayonnaise on both sides of each slice of
eggplant, then dip slices in bread crumbs to coat both sides.

3. Place coated eggplant slices on non-stick foil or a lightly greased baking sheet and broil until
golden brown and tender (but not mushy); turn slices over and brown on other
side; set aside on a plate to cool. This make take a batch or two (or more) depending on how much eggplant you have.

4. Mix together the ricotta and Parmesan cheeses; set aside.

6. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

7. Pour 1/3 to ½ of the sauce (depending on the amount of eggplant slices you have) into a lightly olive-oiled 9 x 13 (or similar) baking dish.

8. Cover sauce in pan with half the prepared eggplant slices; spread some of the
ricotta-Parmesan mixture evenly over eggplant slices in pan; sprinkle some of the
mozzarella over ricotta; top with the approx. 1 tablespoon of fresh basil, some more sauce, & repeat layers as necessary, ending up with sauce & a last topping of mozzarella.

9. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil & bake for around 25 minutes; then
remove foil and bake another 10-15 minutes or until hot and sauce is bubbling.

10. Remove from oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before cutting before serving.
Old November 1, 2018   #3
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

very odd sticky.... might as well be "Eggplant & Ice Cream" or "Okra & Jellybeans" ... some things just don't go together that well. Why these two are grouped together in a sticky I will probably never understand.
Eggplant is fairly versatile and the recipes would be better served in their own sticky, same with Okra - although Chili and Gumbo each deserve their own stickies too!

Stickies are usually used for commonly searched items, FAQs, etc... I wouldn't think that there is a huge demand for information regarding the combination of Okra & Eggplant in a recipe.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2018   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhines81 View Post
very odd sticky.... might as well be "Eggplant & Ice Cream" or "Okra & Jellybeans" ... some things just don't go together that well. Why these two are grouped together in a sticky I will probably never understand.
Eggplant is fairly versatile and the recipes would be better served in their own sticky, same with Okra - although Chili and Gumbo each deserve their own stickies too!

Stickies are usually used for commonly searched items, FAQs, etc... I wouldn't think that there is a huge demand for information regarding the combination of Okra & Eggplant in a recipe.
Cheap Eaten 196,360 views 7,887 replies, 'Sticky?? We dont need no stinking sticky.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2018   #5
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

LOL, someone else created this sticky and I'm pretty sure they didn't mean both okra AND eggplant in the same recipe! Just a place to put okra recipes and/or eggplant recipes.
Old November 2, 2018   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I bet the good people of India could and do combine the two.'
They prepare and eat okra in many ways we in the west dont.

Who's to say you cant do something because it has never been done before or not in a recipe you can find?
Old November 2, 2018   #7
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I found some Turkish recipes.
And here's one called Southern Ratatouille;
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/252...n-ratatouille/

Curried Okra and Eggplant
https://beyondmeresustenance.com/cur...-and-eggplant/

and an African recipe - African Peanut Stew
https://holycowvegan.net/african-pea...lant-and-okra/
Old August 10, 2019   #8
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Mexican Eggplant Casserole

Mexican Eggplant Casserole

2 lbs eggplant cut into 1/2" slices (skin on or off, your preference)
1 lb ground beef
15 oz can tomato sauce
4 oz diced fresh mild green chilies
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2.25 oz can of sliced black olives
corn tortillas or corn tortilla chips
6 oz cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)

Preheat oven to 450.

Spray baking sheet with oil and place eggplant slices on it in a single layer. Spray the tops of the slices with oil. Bake until soft when pressed, about 15 minutes. Turn oven down to 350 when eggplant is done.

Meanwhile, in a small pot combine tomato sauce, chilis, onions, cumin, garlic powder and olives. Bring to a simmer and then simmer uncovered over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.

While sauce is simmering, brown the ground beef and drain.

Put half of the eggplant slices in a single layer on the bottom of a shallow 2 quart baking dish. Scatter over it half of the ground beef, a layer of tortillas or tortilla chips, half of the sauce and half of the cheese. Repeat layers with the rest of the ingredients, ending with cheese on top.

Bake at 350 until heated through and bubbly, about 30 minutes.

Top with sour cream if desired.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2019   #9
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

This stuff is good. Addictive, in fact! It's not a strong pickle but just tangy enough to complement the olive oil and garlic. This is my new go-to for excess eggplant! Can't wait to try this on a sandwich.

Pickled Eggplant

Pickled eggplants are marinated eggplants kept under oil, flavored with garlic and oregano as done in Italy.

3-5 long thin eggplants
kosher salt
2/3 cup red wine vinegar plus 1/3 cup water
3 or 4 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp oregano
good quality extra virgin olive oil

Slice the eggplant into ¼” thick slices or julienne if preferred. Place in a colander and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt. Continuing layering the slices and salt until finished.

Place a small plate on top of the slices and put a weight on top of the plate. Make sure to place the colander in the sink or put a small bowl underneath to catch the liquid. After as couple of hours, squeeze all the excess liquid from the eggplant and set aside.

Put the vinegar and water in a small pot, bring to a boil and then add the eggplant. Cook for about 2 minutes and drain. When cool enough to handle, squeeze the excess vinegar from the eggplant.

Place the pickled eggplant in a bowl and add some olive oil, garlic and oregano and mix well. You will add more olive oil later in the process.

Put the pickled eggplant mix into clean, dry jars and pack tightly. Fill the jar with olive oil. Run a fork or long skewer down along the sides of the jars to get rid of air gaps. If the jar is packed correctly there shouldn’t be much more olive oil needed to cover contents. Place the lid on tightly and refrigerate about 3 or 4 days before eating. Keep refrigerated after opening.
Old August 19, 2019   #10
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

That sounds like something I need in my life!
Old August 19, 2019   #11
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Bet ya can't wait 3-4 days.
Old October 3, 2019   #12
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

If you are an okra lover next time in your garden pick a small okra, no longer than 1" and try it raw. Excellent taste and crunch with no slime.
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2019   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyBuckets View Post
If you are an okra lover next time in your garden pick a small okra, no longer than 1" and try it raw. Excellent taste and crunch with no slime.

I prefer to call it mucilage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucilage