Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2021   #1
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Ddsack,
I don't know how you do it. My Starts were seeded on Feb 18, planted out on May 12 and there's no sign of blushing yet. True, the spring was unusually cold and we've had a spell of cold rainy weather lately, but compared to previous years my Starts are late sleepers this year. More than 3 weeks behind.
Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2021   #2
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Ddsack,
actually, I wasn't quite right when I wrote that there wasn't a sign of ripening. In the morning the following day I noticed 3 toms on Start 1 (one stem only) started blushing. Start 2 and 3 are still as green as before. And I counted the numbers of trusses on each of them today: Start 1 - 8, Start 2 - 11 and Start 3 - 16.
Milan HP
Old July 17, 2021   #3
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan HP View Post
Hello Ddsack,
actually, I wasn't quite right when I wrote that there wasn't a sign of ripening. In the morning the following day I noticed 3 toms on Start 1 (one stem only) started blushing. Start 2 and 3 are still as green as before. And I counted the numbers of trusses on each of them today: Start 1 - 8, Start 2 - 11 and Start 3 - 16.
Milan HP

Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2021   #4
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan HP View Post
Hello Ddsack,
Milan HP

It is logical that tomatoes will ripen later on a plant with more stems. No need to try it. The difference is whether one root feeds 8 inflorescences or 16. This will delay maturation. I do not understand why I would grow Start F1 on a few stems and lose one of its highest values - early. To speed up ripening, it is recommended to cut the plant behind the second inflorescence (Stupice). There is a smaller harvest, but the fruits are very early.
Vladimír
Old July 20, 2021   #5
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Vladimir,
it seems to be logical but I have learnt that Mother Nature doesn't always follow our logic. Yes, I know you're skeptical about my observations (perhaps rightly so). So, I'll tell you and the others the latest news: Start 3 has developed some blush as well, unlike S2. Not very logical, is it?
Well, I just want to get some hands-on data to go by. Yes, anyone can object that the conditions are not identical. They can't be with living organisms, but I have tried to get as close as I can. I just wonder if there are other studies related to the same thing. I'd like to compare.
Milan HP
Old July 14, 2021   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Milan, it must be the heat. I'm sure I started my Starts around the same time as you. Mind you, I misunderstood how big they would get, and planted them into 3-gallon containers! We've been getting ripe fruit for ages, but now the plants look rather sick. The leaves are pale and slightly purple. My fault, I am sure.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2021   #7
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Linda,
that's exactly what I do - 12l (3.17 gallon) containers. If they are healthy, they produce tomatoes till late November. Considerably smaller than in the garden (20 - 30 grams in containers as opposed to 50 - 60g or more in the garden), but definitely as tasty or even sweeter. The fertilizer I use all year round is 8 - 13 -11 (+ a bit of Mg and other microelements).
The symptoms you've described give me an impression that they are short of soluble Magnesium and Phosphorus. Try supplementing those elements and maybe they'll be as happy as mine.
Milan HP
Old July 15, 2021   #8
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

My Start F1 looks like this now.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3463Start F1.jpg (98.9 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; July 15, 2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old July 15, 2021   #9
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

My first Start S F1! Ripe July 12, 99 days from seed sowing and 60 days from transplant. The flavor is very nice, moderately sweet, nice amount of acid, rich tomato flavor, good texture. The tomato is 1.5 oz (43g). The plant is absolutely loaded with tomatoes, I suspect near 100. More will be enjoyed in the coming days. Thanks to Vladimir and Robert for their seed sharing this past winter. It has been a couple years since I have grown Stupice, but from memory, I seem to like this better (I enjoy Stupice as well).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0172.jpg (79.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0171.jpg (63.2 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by jmsieglaff; July 15, 2021 at 11:28 AM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2021   #10
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

That's great, Milan! You should have some to eat soon! I noticed that my 2nd plant now has one blushing as well, plus a couple more on the first plant. But the tomato I brought into the house still is not red enough to taste test. So far, I have had about 6 mature Stupice fruit. I am waiting for a side by side taste test of the two varieties. I can see that Start F1 will be more productive, but not as early.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2021   #11
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Milan,

Thank you so much for your comment. I really thought I had blown it, growing these tall tomatoes in 3 gallon containers, and that they were dying. I will give them some Mag/Phos today and see if that will revive them .

Linda
Old July 17, 2021   #12
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

My first Start S is blushing (barely). We have had a very wet, dreary July, but amazingly very little splitting, and only one Ruby Crush plant (in dirt) shows any Septoria.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2021   #13
CrazyAboutOrchids
Tomatovillian™

Here in CT, I am having the WORST year of gardening I've ever had! The rain, the heat, seems like everything except my jalapenos are unhappy. Anytime stuff gets to blossom, we get a wave of heat and I get blossom drop. All plants are stunted, affected - EXCEPT Start F1!!!!

We have pulled over 30 fruit from our 1 plant. Fruit ranges from 1.5 oz to 2.0 oz but I have had a couple over that with the biggest at 2.45 oz. The size is perfect for snacking, salads, burgers or just sliced and eaten as is. They have what I would consider a 'true' tomato taste and pair well in a salad with some Sunsugars tossed in. I started 2 plats - gave 1 to a friend who lives about 30 - 40 mins south of us. He has lots of fruit but none ripened yet.

We are really enjoying our Start F1! Thank you for sharing with us!!!!
CrazyAboutOrchids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2021   #14
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Once I allowed Start tomatoes to ripen properly, I really enjoyed the taste. It's a productive and early tomato, and I look forward to growing them again next year.

Thanks again,
Linda
Old July 31, 2021   #15
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Start S has been producing steadily for the last 1-2 weeks. It is a good tomato for sure. In its ~10 gallon tub, it provides mostly 3-4 oz tomatoes. There is some sun scald, so the tops of most tomatoes must be cut off. Sunscald has been an issue here this year with all of my regular-size toms. It also has some circular cracking. It reminds me of Early Girl, but about a week or so later here in zone 5b. Flavor? It has a good red tomato taste, similar to Early Girl (IMO). I would certainly grow it again if the seeds were easily available for purchase.

Last edited by Greatgardens; July 31, 2021 at 05:48 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote