Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2015   #46
Mike723
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
If you are going to grow garden hybrids, you need to try Big Beef. I think it's the consensus pick for the best big red garden variety hybrid tomato.

Coincidentally, this is my first year trying a few big beefs.. They're reaching for the stars and look great.. They're unfortunately neighbors to a yellow brandywine that I've been treating for septoria so hopefully they'll be ok.. They too received a copper treatment just to be safe lol..

Around these parts you see a lot of Jetstar, celebrity and early girl.. Last year was the first year I left the Jetstars behind and I regretted it.. Threw in 7 this year just for their dependability in regards to flavor and disease resistance..

Last edited by Mike723; July 13, 2015 at 09:52 PM.
Mike723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #47
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Better boy, big boy are most pop.

I grow several brandy boys and pleased with results and taste. Grew persimmon orange one year and to my surprise, alot of people won't eat off color tom.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #48
silverseed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I would love to grow OP tomatoes but I'm just not seeing the production

As a market grower, I definitely feel that pain. A label that says "heirloom" sells. But good luck growing enough to sell.

My best production has been with OP varieties that were once used as a commercial variety. I grew a red determinate OP this year called Titan Red, a former commercial variety from the Ukraine. I would put it's production up against any modern hybrid. It's going to be my new red tomato. I also have a couple Chinese varieties that produce very well.

Hybridization of a variety is done for the seed company's profits. Maybe the best varieties do get hybridized, but that is correlation, not causation. What I like about the older Chinese and USSR varieties is that they were not created to maximize a corporation's profits. So their best stuff didn't get hybridized.
Thanks for the interesting post could you tell the names of the Chinese tomatos ?
My best American production OP variety has been Taxi. I don't think there is an early yellow tomato anywhere, hybrid or OP, that compares.

Last edited by silverseed; July 23, 2015 at 02:04 PM.
silverseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #49
silverseed
Tomatovillian™

O.k messed up here tried to quote the post above. Thanks for that interesting post and was wondering what the Chinese varieties that you grow are called ?
silverseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #50
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am hooked on BIG BEEF (F1). It was the earliest in my garden, it is fruiting amazingly.
I have grown Big Boy, Better Boy before but Big Beef stand out.
What is more , is that it has a lot of disease tolerant genes.

BTW: this is one of the 3 hybrids that I am growing this year and it is the only one that will return next season. I have found a winner. YMMV

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2015   #51
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverseed View Post
O.k messed up here tried to quote the post above. Thanks for that interesting post and was wondering what the Chinese varieties that you grow are called ?
My favorite is Ten Hung Tan Chieh. It is a medium red slicer with excellent yield and flavor. It was a generous gift from a member of this web site.

I have another Chinese yellow variety that would be great if not for being prone to cracking. It is also medium in size, and pale enough to be called a white tomato. It's called Huang Se Chieh.

I have seed from both varieties. I'll be posting my seed offers soon, when I get all my seeds dried and packaged.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote