Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
And I forgot the darn oyster crackers. |
|
January 13, 2017 | #47 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Unless you want us New Englanders on your back, you better stop and at least get yourself some salt pork if you'd rather not use bacon!
|
January 14, 2017 | #48 |
BANNED FOR LIFE
|
I've been waiting for this. To me, Clam Chowder is white - it has no corn or tomatoes in it. It is not Manhattan style. Crackers are overrated but accepted... sort of.
Yes, I love clam chowder. It is one of my favorite soups. |
January 14, 2017 | #49 |
Tomatovillian™
|
|
January 14, 2017 | #50 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
A tomato-hating politician from Rockland set off the Maine clam chowder war of 1939 when he prepared a bill to make it a crime to pollute clam chowder with tomato.
January 14, 2017 | #51 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I cook with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food
W.C.Fields I'll second that! Do I hear a third?? Old Chef |
January 14, 2017 | #52 |
BANNED FOR LIFE
|
lol you two.
Wouldn't it be nice to dig up clams in our locations. |
January 14, 2017 | #53 |
BANNED FOR LIFE
|
Old chef, point me in the right way. I looked at the wine isle and I couldn't find Boones Farm.
|
January 14, 2017 | #54 |
Tomatovillian™
|
|
January 14, 2017 | #55 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Does anyone remember Graham Kerr, The Galloping Gourmet?
January 14, 2017 | #56 |
Tomatovillian™
|
|
January 14, 2017 | #57 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
Old chef |
|
January 14, 2017 | #58 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I say yes to the bacon, just dont overdo it
January 14, 2017 | #59 |
Tomatovillian™
|
More clam chowder recipes up EasternShore, NewEngland, Atlantic Maritimes, Newfoundland...than feral cats.
I don't see chowder wars anymore. Not like the LobsterRoll wars or the TexasChili wars. We just makes it like we likes it. Fat back, salt pork, scrunchions, cast iron pan fried slow. Bacon will work in a pinch. But cut off most of the lean meat and save for Sunday eggs. drain and set aside for garnish. Pour off most of the pork fat leaving a bit for the miropoix. Tbsp butter, leeks, celery, white onion, pinch finely diced habanero, parsley(not much) and finely diced sweet red pepper(not much). Shot of vodka per quart. I never make more than 2 quarts. If i have that many people i switch up to a mixed fish stew like a bouillabaisse. Fresh made fish stock, whole milk, chopped fresh clams and their juices. -can is fine -White wine does something odd to clams and oysters. Brings out a metallic taste. Just too hard to find the right one so i avoid it for any brothy cream chowders. Tomato chowders can handle the wine fine. No carrot, No OldBay, No flour. We like brothy chowders using a flavorful stock, Not chicken broth or bouillon And it is not called ClamGravy. So many are as thick as wallpaper paste. Start another batch of scrunchions because we ate the first batch.... Garnish with scrunchions and parsley, sea salt at the table. I make my own but Maldon is a good one. Oyster cracker at the table, Westminster. Homemade crouton will work in a pinch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq7tDudDsbg Last edited by oakley; January 14, 2017 at 08:39 AM. |
January 14, 2017 | #60 |
Tomatovillian™
|
The only way you are not going to have the metallic taste with wine and acidic tomatoes in any food is to cook it in something that doesn't react with acid.
This is why I have the 18/10 stainless kettles. Now comes the problem of bases like Clorox. It will eat into the nickle many stainless steels have given time. Who would have thought that chemistry and metallurgy had anything to do with cooking. But it does big time. Bacon ends and pieces it is. But I have one problem. I was going to give some to my friend but his wife is Jewish. I asked it she ate shell fish and she does when it isn't during certain times of the year. I cant remember the pork part but it is allowed in the house. Like any group of people there are many levels of practice. The guy is still flabbergasted I know so much about her people. Even the people at my place I was raised had discussions on it. They would tell me I was wrong for eating coons and squirrels because they were forbidden but yet they ate pork. This is about the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. I hope my comments aren't stricken it is only about the food not anything else. No need for argument. Worth |
|
|