Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 17, 2017   #46
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

I grew a Girl Girl's Weird Thing in my sunroom last winter, using a 100-dollar 600W LED light that I purchased off of Ebay. The plant grew very well inside, and I had to cut off the tops to allow the plant to "bush" out with new suckers at the bottom. It was just a fun experiment for me, but the plant produced 13 good tomatoes, the largest just over 13 ounces. I had some curious neighbors asking what I was growing, LOL. Here are a few pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2053.JPG (133.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2052.JPG (117.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2057.JPG (97.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2150.JPG (109.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2158.JPG (125.9 KB, 49 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2017   #47
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Now that you got the illumination downpack think about keeping light source close to the plant as possible during cycles.Raising the trays with the lights adjustable,pulleys/ceiling mount.And my favorite mirrors and reflective Mylar.Use safe electric(surge/circuit breakers) if needed,inexpensive timer for lighting/fan.Heating pad if basement stays really cold.Fire extinquisher always present, always seen.Have fun.Kurt
Old January 18, 2017   #48
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A fire extinguisher is fine but people need to know how to shut off the electricity and I mean all of it.
They need to know where the breakers are and not have a bunch of stuff stacked up in front of the panel so they can get to it in an emergency.
Grow lights or no grow lights.
Soon I will be starting a thread on basic electricity for people so they wont be so scared of it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2017   #49
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Im still unclear about the labeling on the tube. My question remains, what is the labeling on the package or bulb to know it is "warm"?
I'm pretty sure that the temperature number is standard and appears on all tubes in the U.S.

The "warm" or "cool" label is not a standard (afaik) - some manufacturers use different terms. What does "bed and bath" mean to you in terms of light color? Nevertheless, it appears that most manufacturers do put their term on the tube. Many in-store displays have a chart mapping their term to a temperature number.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2017   #50
BettaPonic
Tomatovillian™

I am a big fan of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
My major complaint is that there is too much flowering. I grow most of my varities from cuttings. Lizzano is my favorite and they flower way too much. I am a big fan of LEDs because I do not have to replace bulbs.
BettaPonic is offline   Reply With Quote