Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 9, 2015   #661
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I know it work on tomatoes because I did try it with success after you talked about your luck with it. I still don't have rain! It has rained within 10 miles of me but I am a dessert. Right now there are clouds and thunder but no rain. I have not had a dry summer in so long I don't even remember when it was.

You are right about what a friendly group this is. Everone is so willing to share and I am always learning.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #662
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - the pics are beautiful as always.

The clear bags were delivered - they are not baggie / saran wrap clear, but definitely see through.

Unfortunate for me today; this huge storm was coming, so I wanted to make sure the tarp was on the kiddie pool filled with the black solarized bags. On the way back, I tripped, tried to break my fall and broke my wrist - left one. In a splint now.

All EB are being solarized or waiting to be solarized, except my one cuke plant which is beautiful now and can take the rain.

I have lots of pepper seedlings (Kay's method) needing xplant - and some summer tomatoes. DH said he would help.

The rain should water everything in the garden.

---
BTW - The kelp/mix I bought from Kelp4less really stinks. It came in a Milk gallon and the top had a little crack on the side so just twists and twists ...I didn't want to shake it and have it go all over the place. None of my other tops fit exactly, so I poured it into an empty TTF container (sturdy); The bottom 1/3 of the Kelp mix was sludge; it wouldn't even go thru the funnel. Crappy cap is back on - won't be using this for awhile anyway.

Marsha - the Dipel worked really well on the catepillars; no sign of them - 2 treatments - 1 rain in between. Recommend - for $ saving and effectiveness.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #663
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post

The clear bags were delivered - they are not baggie / saran wrap clear, but definitely see through.

Unfortunate for me today; this huge storm was coming, so I wanted to make sure the tarp was on the kiddie pool filled with the black solarized bags. On the way back, I tripped, tried to break my fall and broke my wrist - left one. In a splint now.

All EB are being solarized or waiting to be solarized, except my one cuke plant which is beautiful now and can take the rain.

I have lots of pepper seedlings (Kay's method) needing xplant - and some summer tomatoes. DH said he would help.

---
BTW - The kelp/mix I bought from Kelp4less really stinks. It came in a Milk gallon and the top had a little crack on the side so just twists and twists ...I didn't want to shake it and have it go all over the place. None of my other tops fit exactly, so I poured it into an empty TTF container (sturdy); The bottom 1/3 of the Kelp mix was sludge; it wouldn't even go thru the funnel. Crappy cap is back on - won't be using this for awhile anyway.

Marsha - the Dipel worked really well on the catepillars; no sign of them - 2 treatments - 1 rain in between. Recommend - for $ saving and effectiveness.
Oh my goodness Barb! That is just terrible. i hope you are not in too much pain on that arm now.
Thanks for the warning about the kelp mix, not going to be buying that anytime soon.
I just love BT, amazing natural pesticide.
If you get mosquitos in your EBs, and I do, they make mosquito dunks, and those are just BT.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #664
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb, sorry about your injury. I hope it will heal quickly.

Sounds like the Kelp4less was not such a good deal. It really does make a difference how it is processed. Neptune Harvest has little odor and I like the fact it is made by a fish company. It may cost more but I am sticking with it since I have good results.
Old June 10, 2015   #665
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I know it work on tomatoes because I did try it with success after you talked about your luck with it. I still don't have rain! It has rained within 10 miles of me but I am a dessert. Right now there are clouds and thunder but no rain. I have not had a dry summer in so long I don't even remember when it was.

You are right about what a friendly group this is. Everone is so willing to share and I am always learning.

That's so crazy that you still don't have rain. Very unusual. Glad the buzzing is at least working on the tomatoes... :-)

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #666
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post

---

Yikes, oh no Barb. With everything you do in the garden every day, that's going to be an adjustment. Luckily your hubby will help out. That's a good guy. Hope it heals as quickly as possible. Google "what will help bones heal faster" and take extra supplements. My sister had a break in her arm (we were roller blading years ago) and it just wouldn't heal. Finally her doctor got a bone stimulator approved for her and it healed in no time. Kind of reminds me of the buzzing of the blossoms because it was this little machine she put on the area of her arm that was broken and the machine vibrated. Must have made the blood flow in the area increase or something. Not sure (just guessing so don't hold me to that).

Anyways, heal quickly girl!!

Ginny
Old June 10, 2015   #667
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Marsha,

I received the seeds yesterday. Thank you!!!

So excited. Thank you again!

Ginny
Old June 10, 2015   #668
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Barb, sorry about your injury. I hope it will heal quickly.

Sounds like the Kelp4less was not such a good deal. It really does make a difference how it is processed. Neptune Harvest has little odor and I like the fact it is made by a fish company. It may cost more but I am sticking with it since I have good results.
Kay,

How do you use the Neptune's Harvest for tomatoes and vegetables. How much and how often?

Ginny
Old June 10, 2015   #669
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Marsha,

I received the seeds yesterday. Thank you!!!

So excited. Thank you again!

Ginny
Yipee! I love trading seeds with you all. It's so much fun.
Old June 10, 2015   #670
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I got rain last night! It was only about 30 minutes but it was prretty heavy. There is a chance we will get more this afternoon.

I use Neptune Harvest Fish & Seaweed and also the one that is just Seaweed. I use the Seaweed when I make my areated worm tea. I also use it as a foliar spray to give tomatoes and peppers a boost.

I used the Fish & Seaweed as fertilizer for seedlings. In tomatoes and peppers that are not in SWCs I use Tomato Tone when they are planted but give Neptune sort of weekly. I say sort of because I forget. You only use 1 Tbsp per gallon so it lasts a long time.
Old June 10, 2015   #671
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I have never grown in root pouches but know some of you do. I would love to know more about them, why they work, what size for tomatoes, soil mix used - just everything an experienced root pouch user can share.
Old June 11, 2015   #672
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have never grown in root pouches but know some of you do. I would love to know more about them, why they work, what size for tomatoes, soil mix used - just everything an experienced root pouch user can share.
Thanks for the info on Neptune. I am also curious about the root pouches and grow bags.... are they the same thing or is there a difference?

I want to know what the pros and cons are. I think I could easily sneak a few of those in to increase my number of plants... :-)

Ginny
Old June 11, 2015   #673
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hey Everyone... I posted this on the pest area, but including a link here. Do you all know if these look like the Mealy Bug Destroyer Larvae (good pest) or the actual mealy bug (bad pest)? I found these on my eggplant this morning. Click on the link below for pictures.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36964

I only want to get rid of them if they are the bad pest.

Ginny
Old June 11, 2015   #674
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I posted on your linked thread, but I think you have a good guy there.
Old June 11, 2015   #675
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb, the seeds arrived today. Thanks again, can't wait to try these.

Ginny, if you are talking about the plastic grow bags, I used those last summer. I needed to isolate plants for seed saving and thought the white plastic migh help with the Florida heat. The plants did well in the 7 gallon ones I bought. They are much cheaper than buying nursery pots and can be reused. But if you try to move them you have to be very careful of they will tear.