Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2017   #61
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
I have some rattlesnake pole bean seeds I could send you. They are very good and grow well for me. Let me know if you are interested.
None of my rattlesnake beans ever made it to the house last year.
I ate everyone right outside in the yard unwashed as most of my green beans are eaten raw.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #62
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
None of my rattlesnake beans ever made it to the house last year.
I ate everyone right outside in the yard unwashed as most of my green beans are eaten raw.

Worth
Yes they are great fresh eaten! My favorite way to eat them is roasted in Olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #63
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
I have some rattlesnake pole bean seeds I could send you. They are very good and grow well for me. Let me know if you are interested.
Thanks for the generous offer Jillian, but I'm ok. I have some Bob's Red Mill in my cart right now at vitacost. I want to plant some of those and also cook some of those for a taste test. They sure sound fantastic.

I appreciate your offer, it was so nice of you.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2017   #64
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Me too big time.
They stopped selling my New Brunswick sardines from Canada and replaced it with over priced foo foo sardines from china or god knows where with a fancy name.
Some how I dont feel like I am eating healthy eating China sardines.

Worth
Ooh, it makes me so mad when I go in to buy something I have always purchased, and suddenly it is no longer on the shelf, and no tag for an empty space because that empty space is now filled with their brands. Ugh! I have one store 10 miles away, and another 18 miles away. The one 18 miles always has a better stock of unique foods than the one 10 miles away. So, when we go to our mexican dinner I always make plans to go to the other HEB. This way I can get things I can't get at the one closer to me. The next store available to me is 25 miles away.

Well, if you count the tiny little convenience store HEB about 1 mile from me I don't shop at, or the other HEB about 5 miles from me that I also don't shop at. Neither one of these stores has anything I want in them. If I can't buy fresh bread, or fresh tortillas, or even an array of different cheeses, I don't grace the doors, lol.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; May 20, 2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old May 20, 2017   #65
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Ooh, it makes me so mad when I go in to buy something I have always purchased, and suddenly it is no longer on the shelf, and no tag for an empty space because that empty space is now filled with their brands. Ugh! I have one store 10 miles away, and another 18 miles away. The one 18 miles always has a better stock of unique foods than the one 10 miles away. So, when we go to our mexican dinner I always make plans to go to the other HEB. This way I can get things I can't get at the one closer to me. The next store available to me is 25 miles away.

Well, if you count the tiny little convenience store HEB about 1 mile from me I don't shop at, or the other HEB about 5 miles from me that I also don't shop at. Neither one of these stores has anything I want in them. If I can't buy fresh bread, or fresh tortillas, or even an array of different cheeses, I don't grace the doors, lol.
The one in Elgin sucks too.
Ours is an HEB plus or what ever they call them.
I miss the Krogers in Angleton.
Old May 20, 2017   #66
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The one in Elgin sucks too.
Ours is an HEB plus or what ever they call them.
I miss the Krogers in Angleton.
Oh my gosh, Krogers, Safeway, Food Basket, Henry's Market and a few others I had at my disposal in California.

I really do hate the HEB Plus stores, you have to walk the entire store just to buy groceries.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 20, 2017   #67
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They took out the mini cafe where you could sit and get something to snack and and rest.
For good reason.
Your not hungry you buy less.
We always used to go in and get a corn dog before we shopped.
Old May 20, 2017   #68
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
They took out the mini cafe where you could sit and get something to snack and and rest.
For good reason.
Your not hungry you buy less.
We always used to go in and get a corn dog before we shopped.
Yep, I saw that disappear too!

~Margaret Atwood~

Old May 20, 2017   #69
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Dromedary corn muffin mix, Wise Cheese Waffles (<- addictive!). Now Wheatena is going. They still make it (the Cheese Waffles too, I think) but the stores just stopped carrying them. Makes me crazy.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2017   #70
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I thought I would do a garden update and ask a couple of questions.

Garden is doing well, beans are starting to come in so it will be a week or so and I should be able to start picking them. Right now they are just skinny and long. Cucumbers are doing well, and they taste very good.

Cantaloupes are doing well, I had 10 growing but have lost two more to the aborting themselves. It's weird they seem to be growing real well and then overnight they turn all yellow.

Tomatoes are doing well too, other than the BER I keep getting on the roma's. I have lost a few tomatoes to the bugs and worms. A couple times I cut a limb by accident and lost lots of tomatoes off of the cherry tomato plants. These are indeterminate bush.

The Homestead tomatoes seem done with providing any fruit, I have two left on the plant and wonder if I should pull it or not. It is quite healthy out there.

The Roma's are also putting off less flowers and wonder if I should pull them as well.

The watermelon is doing well too. It's bushing out real well at the bottom of the trellis.

So, my questions are

1. Do I pull those tomato plants if they aren't putting off new flowers now, or should I wait for another flush to come in?

2. I've been spraying with copper alot for the rains, is this going to contaminate my soil or my plants?

~Margaret Atwood~