Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 9, 2017   #61
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Ya, possible broken bones in an animal who doesn't understand its "your garden" is fine, so much better than spraying predator urine or running a few stakes and some chicken wire around a garden, or using a have a heart trap, although many SPCA's will euthanize them because of over crowding, or a motion detected air or water spray. After all its not your fault and you need carrots.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #62
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
You could always set out a live trap and catch a few. Take them to the Humane Society. When the neighbors go looking for them they will find them and have to pay a fine to get them back or else the cats will be getting a new home. If it starts costing the neighbors money to let their cats roam, they just might start to consider keeping the cats at home.

It is the people that need the teachings, not the cats.
I had an outside cat for a while until he got kidnapped. My one neighbor was not thrilled, as the cat would frequent his place and do cat things. Also, other cats started to appear out of nowhere.

Why is it that cat people feel no shame in letting their cat wreck havoc in the neighborhood? Your statement is interesting Patti, but I don't think cat people care. Dog people are often required by law to contain their animal.

The cat people I know either have a strictly inside cat, or inside/outside (town folks) that they let roam around all night. Also there is a HUGE problem of stray animals in the city, both dogs and cats.

Irresponsible pet owners irritate me. Since my cat got kidnapped, I haven't seen another. During the short tenure, had a feline have kittens under the porch. My vet was not happy when I brought another kitten for them to find a home.

Out in the county/country, figure some people just shoot them. I know some guys who raise cattle that have stray dog problems, and that is their solution.

How are you going to keep a cat contained to your yard?
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #63
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Where I live out in the sticks, people pretty much just let all their animals roam. It's not legal and I've had to set traps, call animal control, and even had a buddy come take a pig that my neighbors let rut in my garden repeatdly, when questioned by my neighbors I told them I killed it and was having it butcherd. They moved not long after. Now my new neighbors had 2 pits that I've already had siezed after repeated warnings, and guess what they did? Got 2 more dogs and they don't contain them either. So yeah, to me if you have an animal keep it contained cause I have to. It's the law and by God if I have to follow it I'm gonna make dam sure my neighbors do. Shock collars work for cats too, and some may not like it but it works.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #64
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
I had an outside cat for a while until he got kidnapped. My one neighbor was not thrilled, as the cat would frequent his place and do cat things. Also, other cats started to appear out of nowhere.

Why is it that cat people feel no shame in letting their cat wreck havoc in the neighborhood? Your statement is interesting Patti, but I don't think cat people care. Dog people are often required by law to contain their animal.
A lot of people have outdated folk notions that cats are only happy when they're allowed to roam. A lot of those same people also have outdated notions that they're taking something away from their pets if they get them spayed and neutered. It happens with dogs, too, but people are far more hands-off with cats. And I think the people who think that cats' behavior is not their responsibility and those who think it's OK to kill or harm cats that are nuisances have their beliefs for the same reasons: they think that cats are just wild animals at heart.

The truth is that, although we haven't tinkered with their genome as much as we have with dogs', cats are domesticated. They can live very happy lives indoors, and many even end up terrified of the outdoors if they're not exposed to it as kittens. Indoor cats tend to be much more affectionate and people-oriented. And neutered cats are far less stressed out, don't have uncontrollable urges to roam, and don't create pest problems by breeding feral cats, which can be a real issue for a neighborhood. Neutered male cats in particular make amazing pets because they remain kittenish in how they relate to people for their entire lives.

Typing this right now while I'm half-lying on the couch with a neutered male cat I rescued as a feral kitten curled up on my chest purring happily. Although I've always loved all animals, I was never a particular cat person until this guy, whom I never intended to keep. I just wanted to get him to the vet and find him a home. LOL. That was 14 years ago.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #65
shule1

It seems like some of the discussion in this thread is waxing nigh unto political (maybe not quite there), talking about laws and how people should have to take care of their cats. I might reply with my views on cats and cat law, but I'm a bit worried that whatever I would have to say might escalate it further (especially as I tend to have uncommon opinions that can rile up people on both sides of an argument).

I just don't want to see people unnecessarily divided over cats when we're all just trying to grow tomatoes (but I'll defer to the moderators, if they chime in and say it's good).

Last edited by shule1; March 9, 2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old March 9, 2017   #66
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

...and now that I've moved to the desk, the other cat (also a rescue) is trying to curl up on my lap. This is why I laugh when people say that cats are aloof and unloving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
It's true. My brother has a dog; I have a cat. My pet comes on recall; his doesn't.

But "shake" and "speak"? That's pretty good!
I had another cat, a rescue also, whom I adopted as an adult. No idea how old he was, but he died of kidney failure this winter and is sorely missed (he lived with me for 12 years, was at least 4, probably older, when I adopted him). That one learned how to high-five.

Quote:
For the record, neither one obeys "I can't see the TV!"
LOL, mine neither. Along with sitting on books I'm trying to read or blocking my monitor when I'm trying to work, these are all ways they say, "Enough! Pay attention to ME now." So yelling at them for it just gives them what they want. I guess petting them gives them just what they want, too, but I at least get something out of it as well.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #67
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
A lot of people have outdated folk notions that cats are only happy when they're allowed to roam. A lot of those same people also have outdated notions that they're taking something away from their pets if they get them spayed and neutered. It happens with dogs, too, but people are far more hands-off with cats. And I think the people who think that cats' behavior is not their responsibility and those who think it's OK to kill or harm cats that are nuisances have their beliefs for the same reasons: they think that cats are just wild animals at heart.

The truth is that, although we haven't tinkered with their genome as much as we have with dogs', cats are domesticated. They can live very happy lives indoors, and many even end up terrified of the outdoors if they're not exposed to it as kittens. Indoor cats tend to be much more affectionate and people-oriented. And neutered cats are far less stressed out, don't have uncontrollable urges to roam, and don't create pest problems by breeding feral cats, which can be a real issue for a neighborhood. Neutered male cats in particular make amazing pets because they remain kittenish in how they relate to people for their entire lives.

Typing this right now while I'm half-lying on the couch with a neutered male cat I rescued as a feral kitten curled up on my chest purring happily. Although I've always loved all animals, I was never a particular cat person until this guy, whom I never intended to keep. I just wanted to get him to the vet and find him a home. LOL. That was 14 years ago.
Men are horrified at getting male cats and dogs cut.
I have never had an un-neutered male cat for very long, off to the vet they go.
If not they are always on the roam looking for a female and most of the time wont even eat and are always fighting other Toms
Sort of like some guys I have known.

As far as going outside all of mine would follow me everywhere in the woods and come back home with me.
They would also hunt and catch mice and rats and even rabbits and snakes.
One big female Siamese I had even brought back a possum.
I have no idea where Smokey is right now in or out but she is near.
I just looked she is curled up in bed after her morning outing with me.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2017   #68
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Don't get me wrong, I love cats, had a cat named Bear for 14 years, best cat you could ever want. I'd have several now if not for my hounds. They will kill any small animal they can get too, just in their DNA. It's dumb people that ignore laws and have no respect for their neighborhood that I dislike.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2017   #69
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
How are you going to keep a cat contained to your yard?
My wonderful neighbor walks his cats on a leash around his yard every day. As for the ferals, we have an arrangement: he feeds them, and I get them spayed. The ferals don't tend to come to my yard too much (maybe they remember the spaying) but even if they do, an 8' deer fence keeps everybody from messing with my garden.

Nan

Last edited by Nan_PA_6b; March 11, 2017 at 02:18 PM.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #70
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have no idea where Smokey is right now in or out but she is near.
I just looked she is curled up in bed after her morning outing with me.

Worth

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2017   #71
shule1

Our neighbor's cats seem to be catching voles (nice, fat ones). There are a couple dead ones they caught at the side of our house. They're completely uneaten, though. The cats are looking skinnier. I think they're getting hopeful that the grasshoppers will appear, again.
Old March 14, 2017   #72
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I just read on the Organic Gardening Community Forum that some people successfully use plastic forks poked into their gardens with the handles down to deter cats. I have not personally tried this but they say that it works. They say that the only downside is that you have to endure people asking if you are growing forks!
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #73
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

More like, "What the fork are you doing?"

But someone on OGC seriously underestimates cats.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #74
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

But someone on OGC seriously underestimates cats.
They can be pretty determined can't they? I was actually pretty happy to see a couple of feral cats appear in my area last year. I have a very large yard and they do not bother my garden but they have gotten the rabbit and vole population under control. I was having terrible problems with them before the feral cats showed up and started eating them. They had no natural enemies other than a few hawks before that and they had really gotten out of control and were eating a lot of my garden plants as well as my flowers. The voles were eating all of my lily bulbs.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2017   #75
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Little beast has me fully under control...

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote