General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.
|
|
October 18, 2019 | #61 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Tormato or keith do either of you have any further information on scarchucks supreme? i.e. what latin name, what common kind(summer, butternut, etc...? ) dtm? I've been scouring the internet and coming up zero on this variety...I am very interested in learning more!
|
October 18, 2019 | #62 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Winter squash here have been a disappointment for the three years we've been growing them. It doesn't seem to matter which species of winter squash we grow. I think there's a reason that almost all the posters on this thread are up north. You have the soil and climate to do a good job with them.
The butternuts, kabocha and small sugar pumpkin all grew and did fairly well but none of them tasted worth a darn. They all went onto the compost pile. The only squash that was and has always been a success was the spaghetti squash. Pickles and I talked about it and decided that no more winter squash will be grown except the spaghetti squash. In addition to not tasting worth a darn, they take up too much room compared with how much they produce. Watermelons will do nicely there. |
October 19, 2019 | #63 |
Tomatovillian™
|
In your experience, what varieties resist mildew or molds? I don’t have any SVB issues, but plants get killed early by molds every year, as soon as late August- Early September way before fruit matures.
|
November 17, 2019 | #64 |
Tomatovillian™
|
kind of a late reply to up country girl. we were booted off the internet for a couple weeks
at home, and could only get on off site. some posts got missed. scarchucks supreme is an acorn type squash, call it a winter squash, whatever classification that is. too tired to look it up. sandhill preservation says it is an 85 dtm. supposed to be more resistant to squash vine borers. i baked a couple this evening along with a couple thelma sanders sweet potato squash. thelma sanders is pretty darn good too. scarchucks supreme might have a little more robust maybe nutty flavor than thelma sanders. i want to always grow both of them. i would not have to choose one over the other. keith
November 18, 2019 | #65 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
Sorry for posting so late, as I just now see this thread. Scarchuk's Supreme was the work of John Scarchuk at the CT Agricultural Experimental Station. Thick vines resistant to borers was one of the goals. On a side note, I really freaked out his relatives a few years ago. We were both visiting the same agricultural booth at the state fair that had a display of squash. They mentioned that their grandfather developed the Black Beauty zucchini. So, I had to ask, "Your grandfather is John Scarchuk?". You should have seen their jaws drop. |
|
November 18, 2019 | #66 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
I've never tried them, but I wonder if some of the squash from SE Asia (found in Baker Creek's catalog) would work for you. |
|
|
|