Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2015   #61
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
I'd actually love to find/make a tomato that was intensely white, rather than the typical buff color of "white" tomatoes. Once you've got that trait, then you can more realistically make things like hot pink.
You probably good. The main problem with shooting for something like that is having enough space to grow out several hundred plants of the same cross at the same time and than evaluate and start over.

I don't know enough about tomatoes work, but I know when I was working with trying to get a true "blue" daylily , I was told to work with a white eye and green throat so I could keep back crossing it and back crossing it til I could get a white throat too. Once I had a stable white petals and sepals and a white throat only than could I mix up the color scheme to try and get a true blue.

Personally, I think eventually you could possibly make a bright, true, pure white possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Color Swirls?

Please read the following link:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=190909

THE most beautiful color swirls I've ever seen, but being a rin ( non-ripening) mutant it is inedible but as you can see from the link I was trying to get someone to use it in crosses to save the coloration and make it edible.

Carolyn
I can't believe nobody but Frogs wanted to work with the seeds. You would think folks would be wanting to jump on them seeds like crazy. Who knows what opportunities were missed. So you grow some rocks the first couple of years. You keep experimenting and who knows someday you do have something special.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #62
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I was reading on the web site of the British Columbia's Ministry of Agriculture where they said (in 2010)...

Quote:
"in recent years, new and highly aggressive strains of late blight have appeared across North America

Q Are there any blight-resistant potatoes or tomatoes?

A No.

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/lateblighthg.htm
I'm curious if that is having a detrimental effect on growing tomatoes in more humid regions? How can tomato breeder's help? Have any late blight resistant varieties been identified or bred since the article was published?
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #63
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
I'd actually love to find/make a tomato that was intensely white, rather than the typical buff color of "white" tomatoes. Once you've got that trait, then you can more realistically make things like hot pink.
I've grown quite a few so called whites in the past and where I lived in Zone 5 the whitest of the whites has always been:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/White_Queen

Variables can include the following.

Photograpy doesn't always show correct coloration, for instance I never got yellow looking fruits as shown in the above link.

You can also see that I first introduced it by SSE listing it in 1995 so grew it many times for seed production as well.

Another variable is the degree of foliage cover that a white one might have, and White Queen has a very heavy foliage cover.

Another variable is where a white one is grown since the sun's rays are stronger in the south and that too can influence coloration.

Carolyn
Old April 12, 2015   #64
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Huang_Se_Chieh

I didn't realize there were two versions until just now when I looked it up. The Huang Se Chieh that I grow is the smaller of the two; it's paler and does not have the reddish bi-color pattern.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2015   #65
loeb
Tomatovillian™

I think I would like to have some transparent ones too.. like.. you know, completly translucent, like a glass, with seeds visible inside trough the skin I would breed for this if I would have something to start with
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2015   #66
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loeb View Post
I think I would like to have some transparent ones too.. like.. you know, completly translucent, like a glass, with seeds visible inside trough the skin I would breed for this if I would have something to start with
You mean, like gooseberries?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2015   #67
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
You mean, like gooseberries?
That would be awesome!
Old April 14, 2015   #68
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Yes, exactlly like gooseberries. Actually when I looked at that picture:
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/File:Sherry.jpg
I thought "looks like a gooseberry to me" At the beginning I thought that thats what sherry gene is doing, but I think It's coincidence..
Anyway I am thinking where I could get this LA2644. I would love to try it. There is another named "Transparent Tomato" in Bakers Creek, so it would be nice to try it too.. But I don't think I can afford shopping seeds in US this year.. well, I will wait.
Looking at Tatiana's Tomatobase I see few more with something to work.. http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Wagner_Mirabell http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/E:ni%27ta

Last edited by loeb; April 14, 2015 at 02:22 AM.
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2015   #69
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_go View Post
I'm hoping one day to see:

1. Frost-tolerant tomato - so I could plant them in the ground in April and wouldn't care about night frosts
2. Perennial tomato - the one which would die down to the ground in late fall and then sprout back in spring - bigger and stronger than previous year, sort of like a peony bush.
3. Long-keeper good tasting tomato which can last let's say till January and still taste great.
Maybe, "glow-in-the-dark" tomato? My son would be happy for sure.
1 there are some quite hardy tomatoes out there, some members are working with them.

2. Tomatoes are perennial if kept happy. Around here they can survive a good winter, they just accumulate too many bad things to be really usable.

3. Such tomatoes do exist.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #70
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

A non grafted plant with two fruit colors on it
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2015   #71
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollas View Post
A non grafted plant with two fruit colors on it
Not a problem and more than two different colored fruits on one plant aswell.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki...b=General_Info

Since Tania's pictures didn't show the several colors on one plant I went to GoogleIMAGES and please look at the top row, second one in from the left.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...62.0igirQhVutI

I've grown it and it is different, which means once was enough for me. The ripe red fruits are not great and the sickly yellowish foliage is,well, different.

Since there is so much different about this variety it's felt that it was the result of what's called a pleiotropic mutation,which means that one mutation resulted in several other mutations at the same time.

But for something really different I see no problem at all in growing it, maybe once, but I did answer your question, and now I'm remembering another variety, not the name, but I know who to ask if you want to grow TWO weird ones.

Carolyn
Old November 11, 2015   #72
nicollas
Tomatovillian™

We are on the "next big thing" thread, so i meant two colors of ripe tomatoes

But i'll take the lutescent in the meanwhile, thanks
nicollas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2015   #73
LDiane

Healthy perennials.

I keep peppers healthy and producing for years - big pots, outside for the summer, inside for the winter. Not enough winter peppers to sell, but enough for brightening up a stir-fry or salad every day.

Maybe if tomatoes had smooth leaves, like peppers, blight spores wouldn't stick.
Old November 28, 2015   #74
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes that can be grown as cool crop in PNW, like cabbage, lettuce but yet produce ripe fruits.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2015   #75
IronPete
Tomatovillian™

Well apart from a giant beefsteak that tastes exactly like sungold F1 I have a different idea. It has to do with breeding for all the extra health benefits that various tomatoes have. IE: Health Kick F1 (double the lypocene) X DoubleRich (double the vitamin C) X Carorich (double the carotene) X any blue (for anthocyanin). Now make it into a paste because it really needs to be cooked for you to benefit from all those good things. How to make a meal into a super healthy meal! I would also try and make it a dward so that everyone could grow it.

A super-dooper healthy tomato! Thats what we need to focus on producing.

JMHO.

Pete

Iron Pete

"We can agree to disagree."
IronPete is offline   Reply With Quote