Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 19, 2015   #811
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

We live caught a possum a few days ago that was feasting on the mango and starfruits.
He got relocated( don't tell anyone, LOL!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (261.0 KB, 59 views)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2015   #812
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb, I decided I was really going to do a limited planting for fall since I went so crazy in the spring. I planted Ambrosia Red, Brandywine Dark Cherry, Sugar Drop, Danube, Tasmanian Chocolate, BKXBTD, Cherokee Tiger, and Sweet Scarlet. I also planted Beauty King from the dwarf project even though it is on hold. I also planted one from the Ivalde group that did not have the shape they wanted but it was wonderful and I call it Tequila Sunrise because it looks like the drink.

I misplaced some seeds and cannot find them I am usually super organized with seeds. I had a trial packet of J&L Garden's Painted Pink and Lee is going to send me another trial pack after I told I had misplaced them. I am also considering getting some of UF's two new releases even though I don't usually grow hybrids. These sound interesting:
http://hos.ufl.edu/kleeweb/newcultivars.html
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2015   #813
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I am also considering getting some of UF's two new releases even though I don't usually grow hybrids. These sound interesting:
http://hos.ufl.edu/kleeweb/newcultivars.html
I did my donation over the weekend; if you want to hold off on the donation, I can send all of the FL regulars some seeds when I get them. I think Fred said we get 20 seeds per packet.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2015   #814
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, we are lucky to have a demonstration garden that is not at the extension office. It is large although not in the best part of town. We are by where the garbage trucks park, the prison re-entry facility and the service garage for the police cars.

We grow a lot of food like strawberries, onions, potatoes and sweet potatoes that we donate to the homeless shelters. It is all weighed and documented so we can track what we do. We helped one of the homeless shelters start their own garden because they have a culinary program to train the homeless that can stay sober and drug free to work in that industry. Sadly less than 50% of the participants even make it through the program but even if it were only 10% that get off the streets that is still a good thing.

One of our MGs volunteers there weekly. They still maintain that garden but have now bought a pretty large farm and are growing food to sell to support and expand their mission. They are renovating an old building now to give homeless veterans a place where they can have their own room. They have started a catering service and a janitorial service that gives their clients a chance at a job.
Old July 19, 2015   #815
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginger - that is one small possum - he looks so scared. Glad you found the culprit but I wonder if there is a momma around too.
Old July 19, 2015   #816
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Ginger - that is one small possum - he looks so scared. Glad you found the culprit but I wonder if there is a momma around too.
Barb- he is about half grown and is doing his own thing, has for a while, to the tune of eating my mangoes, starfruits and pineapples, also my bananas so the mama has been out of the picture for many months. We relocated him to a wooded area and released him. He's fine, but about 5 miles away. That is cat food in the bottom of the trash can. We capture, we don't believe in harming.
Old July 20, 2015   #817
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb, you are so generous. I did go ahead and donate to get seeds because I want to start some for the Extension Office main site and for the demonstration garden. We do not grow enough of UF's tomatoes and it does seem like we would promote them more. I can't wait to see if their claims that they taste as good as heirlooms is true.
Old July 20, 2015   #818
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Hi Larry,

I can't remember if I sent you seeds for Cherokee Tiger Large Red Dwarf and Cherokee Tiger Black Dwarf but they grew fine for me and they have the lime green colored rugose leaves. I grew them in pots though. They were really tasty and so pretty. My husband just loved the taste and look of the CT Large Red Dwarf.... red with orange stripes, small beefsteak type.

Ginny
Ginny,
This is what you sent me: Beefmaster, Black Cherry, Blue Gold Cherry, Cherokee Purple, Delicious, Girl Girl’s Weird Thing, Indian Stripe, Jaune Flamme, Kellogg’s Breakfast, Pink Berkeley Tie Dye, Stupice, Stump of the World, Sungold Cherry
Which I am so grateful for.
With these and varieties I purchased I have more than enough varieties to try this fall, but I am taking notes of varieties that you and Barb have recommended and hope to try some of those and maybe others in the spring.
Wish you luck with your install. I did lots of all weekenders in my career with software and hardware upgrades.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; July 21, 2015 at 04:09 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2015   #819
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
I miss my garden! I'm in San Diego still doing a computer install. I head to Kansas on Wednesday after 18 long days here.

Is anyone still getting tomatoes to grow or have you pulled most of your plants?

Ginny
Ginny,
I have a couple of Early Wonder plants that still look pretty good. They have a couple of tomatoes on them and a few blossoms. Squirrels seem to like them.
Also, have 3 Clear Pink Early plants left that appeared to die but sent out new stems near the bottom of the main stem. They have a few blossoms.
But the champ of season and still reigning are 4 Bush Early Girl plants. All of these toms are in 10 gallon grow bags. The BEGs look good and have lots of blossoms. Maybe I will do the toothbrush thing on 1 plant to see if I can get it to set toms. Must be heterosis because these little guys just don't want to give up. However, I admit not the best tasting tomato ever.

Last edited by Zone9b; July 21, 2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old July 20, 2015   #820
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Larry - I had really good luck with most of the Dwarfs from the Dwarf Project.

I only grew those based on Kay's recommendations:

Tasmanian Chocolate

Wild Fred

Sleeping Lady (not Kay's recommendation - this was a free pack from the vendor)

Iditarod Red - also not Kay's recommendation - it was super productive; but just OK for taste. Used mostly for sauce, tomato/cuke mix or gave away to those people who ONLY like reds.

Arctic Rose - this was the biggest healthiest seedlings, was the first to grow in an EB, and was a total bust. One tomato between the 2 plants. Maybe the name means it likes COLD temperatures.

Later on also based on Kay's recommendations:

I ordered these dwarfs:
Wherokowai
Sweet Scarlet

But had problems with germination, contacted the vendor and received replacement seeds, but it was early March by the time they new ones germinated so never got any fruit. Will try again since I believe the problem was it was too hot.

It will be interesting to see what the others grew.
Barb,
Thanks a bunch for responding to my request.
I have Sleeping Lady, Iditarod Red and Arctic Rose and a few other dwarfs. I will plant seeds for Sleeping Lady Iditarod Red and many other varieties this week.
I want to see if I can grow some tomatoes thru late fall and winter. So I will plant seeds like Arctic Rose, Extreme Bush, Terenzo F1, Tiny Tim, Glacier and others mid to late August. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Once again I really appreciate your response.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; July 21, 2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old July 21, 2015   #821
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Most of my neighbors spend winters at the rv park and summers in their home states. I sent one neighbor home with 4 sungold and 4 sunsugar seedlings and her husband doesnt like tonayoes but he likes these. She said they have little yellow tomatoes with every meal. They also shared a bunch with friends who also love them. So she wants to grow a bunch so I told her i would ask you all your opinions on where she should get the seeds

Sungold and sunsugar... who has the most for the best price and are also reputable?

Thanks!
Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2015   #822
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

For those two varieties, I would buy from Tradewindsfruit.com. They have both in stock, $2.50 each for stated 10 seeds each, but they are very generous with seed counts. I've bought SunGold from them and it was way more than 10 seeds. Unfortunately, they have a $10 minimum order....and FREE SHIPPING if spending $15. I can always find a way to get the free shipping.

Also, Sample Seeds - I don't think has a min order, but they only have SunGold.

I haven't bought anything from SeedsnSuch.com, but they have both seeds, low price and low shipping. I would probably chance it with them.
Old July 21, 2015   #823
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Ginny,
I look forward to tasting Sungold Cherry for the first time this summer. Just to see what everyone is raving about.
Most of the vendors I have used of late don't have both but only have one or the other.
However, Jungseed.com has both. 00696 - Sungold Hybrid Tomato 20 seeds 2.95,
00711 - Sun Sugar Hybrid Tomato 20 seeds 2.95. I have used Jung several times in the past and didn't have any problems.
Take care,
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; July 21, 2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old July 21, 2015   #824
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Not tomato related, but a Florida thing;

It has been low tide early in the mornings the last couple of days; DH and I walked the beach and saw 4 baby turtles making their way into the vast ocean. We hovered over them until the tide brought them out - just to make sure a bird/crab didn't get them first.

We went back again this AM, but only saw 1 baby.

We are still seeing the Momma tracks but down to 4 per day - vs the 20-60 we had been seeing.

Also, today we saw a guy fishing - he's in the water - at low tide, it is Lake Atlantic, and caught a 3' Red Fish. He released it.
Old July 21, 2015   #825
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, I think this is going to be your best bet. Tomato Growers Supply has both, 30 seeds (that ends up being 50-60) for $3.65.
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/searchprods.asp

Sample Seeds counts out 10 seeds exactly for the $1.50, so thirty would cost $4.50.