Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 18, 2016   #856
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

aimeruni,
I think you still have a few days to plant warm weather crops such as beans, summer squash and peppers. I planted a few more bush beans 2 days ago. I plan to plant a few lima beans this week end but it is said you can plant them in Central Florida into May.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #857
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I sowed cukes (Snow Fancy) and will be planting them out today. After reading about Sweet Success cucumbers, I've ordered seeds and hopefully they will be delivered today.

I have another set (Beit Alpha) that was planted out just over a week ago.

The trick for me is in hot weather, to shade them during the hottest part of the day when they are small. Once they are larger, they can handle the heat.

-----
I have healthy pepper seedlings, but I still don't have most of my pepper plants in their final destination.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #858
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Yes my concern isn't them not growing well. My concern is once I plant them and they start to bare fruit....when they start to bare fruit it will be May....and there is a very real possibility that the temps will be in the 90's consistently at that point.

Will stuff like beans, zucchini and cucumber even set fruit when the temps are in the 90s....that is my concern.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2016   #859
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about beans, but I get fruit set for peppers year round ... maybe not when it it too cold. I think the same for cukes, although it seems the pests are harder to control around August.

Tomatoes seem the most affected by high night time temperatures. Hoping that the Vegibee will prolong the fruiting season.

----
This is a response to JPOP Photo thread where he talks about fused blossoms. But this is what I have noticed:

I noticed the first blossom on all 'NEW created' varieties was a fused blossom.

I am growing for the dwarf project for the first time and every first blossom was a giant fused blossom. About 1/2 the fruit on 2 Lucid Gem plants were fused blossoms and Jazz (plant left over from summer didn't set fruit during the heat, and survived the day of execution by setting a fruit)...only to go ahead and set about 10 more; several of these were fused blossoms.
Old March 19, 2016   #860
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

In the Spring of 2014 the latest I planted Jade II Bush Green Beans was 03/18/14. I started picking them on 5/11/14 and the latest I I picked them 5/31/14.

In the Spring of 2015 the latest I planted Jade II Bush Green Beans was 03/15/15. I started picking them on 5/02/14 and the latest I picked any large amount was 5/27/15 but on the day I pulled the vines on 6/31/15 I picked those that were left.

I dug this out of my notes and it may be of some help.
Old March 19, 2016   #861
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
This is a response to JPOP Photo thread where he talks about fused blossoms. But this is what I have noticed:

I noticed the first blossom on all 'NEW created' varieties was a fused blossom.

I am growing for the dwarf project for the first time and every first blossom was a giant fused blossom. About 1/2 the fruit on 2 Lucid Gem plants were fused blossoms and Jazz (plant left over from summer didn't set fruit during the heat, and survived the day of execution by setting a fruit)...only to go ahead and set about 10 more; several of these were fused blossoms.
Good point Barb. Be interested in seeing the percentage. Currently I have about 10-15% fused on my dwarf plants and solely the dwarfs.
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #862
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for responding so quickly as well as taking the time to post answers to my questions.

People here have said that it's okay to grow cucumbers and zucchini this time of year for where I'm located, which is central FL. However I know it is a very strong possibility that it will get in the 90s. From what research I've done, when it's consistently in the 90s, things such as cucumbers, zucchini etc. won't set blossoms or fruit....

However is that actually the case? I don't know because where I used to live, the growing zone where I used to live (Northern MI) didn't get into the 90s....if it did it was rare.....and if there was more than one day when it was in the 90s.....it wasn't consecutive days it was in the 90s.

So I have no idea, if fruit won't produce and/or blossoms won't produce when it's in the 90s...simply cause I've never dealt with those types of temperatures when I've grown zucchini, beans, and cucumbers.

I don't want to waste space with growing zucchini, cucumbers, and zucchini...only to have them grow well but then it be too hot for them to set their blossoms and fruit.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #863
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

aimeruni,
Don't let me discourage you but when it comes to Summer Squash and cucumbers I wouldn't plant them in Central Florida this late, however, I'm not sure I'd plant them at all (with one exception). I have tried to grow zucchini a couple of times, yellow crooked neck several times and I got all but nothing for my effort. A number of years ago I did manage to grow a few patty pan squash, so I am trying it again. I have 6 plants in native soil heavily amended with compost.
As for Winter Squash my track record is equally bad. I have grown a number of varieties in almost all cases with bad luck. I did manage to grow a few giant Hubbard squash a number of years back. Who knows I may try it again some day. I suppose I could grow Calabaza, they grow those things in Nicaragua at 100 feet above sea level and Central Florida is temperate compared to there.
To me squash take a huge amount of space and deliver little. I'd rather spend my effort on crops requiring less space and are a whole lot easier to grow.
The best,
Larry
Old March 20, 2016   #864
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
In the Spring of 2014 the latest I planted Jade II Bush Green Beans was 03/18/14. I started picking them on 5/11/14 and the latest I I picked them 5/31/14.

In the Spring of 2015 the latest I planted Jade II Bush Green Beans was 03/15/15. I started picking them on 5/02/14 and the latest I picked any large amount was 5/27/15 but on the day I pulled the vines on 6/31/15 I picked those that were left.

I dug this out of my notes and it may be of some help.
Fantastic info, Larry. About 10 minutes ago, I sowed 10 haricot vert type bean seeds into Earthboxes where the tomatoes are done. The package says in very hot areas sow in March, then again in August, so we will see. If I don't try, then I get nothing for sure, right?
Oh yes, I have one cucumber growing in an EB where I culled a tomato plant, so far 3 little cucumbers are forming. Its about 8" tall.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #865
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Fantastic info, Larry. About 10 minutes ago, I sowed 10 haricot vert type bean seeds into Earthboxes where the tomatoes are done. The package says in very hot areas sow in March, then again in August, so we will see. If I don't try, then I get nothing for sure, right?
Oh yes, I have one cucumber growing in an EB where I culled a tomato plant, so far 3 little cucumbers are forming. Its about 8" tall.
Thank you Marsha,
I have Crockett green beans growing, a haricot vert, and look forward to tasting them. Maybe next spring I will be overcome with the temptation to grow some Masai. So many love the taste. The variety I am most impressed with at the moment is Espada.
Mostly a sieve 4 bean, it is the most disease resistant green bush bean variety I could find. Germination was impressive. It is if they all came up on cue. I looked one day and there they were almost all popped through on the same day. Now they are growing strong, something to behold.
Love those beans,
Larry
Old March 20, 2016   #866
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

On Cucumbers, they are a fast growing and producing plant. In a normal year, it is hotter in September and the first half of October than it is in May. 2015 it was hot from April - December.

The first pic taken 3/13 and the 2nd today, 3/20. I expect flowering within the next 2 weeks.

I transplanted another plant today and sowed seeds on the 19th.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beta Cuke 3-13.jpg (415.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Cuke 3-20.JPG (199.2 KB, 63 views)
Old March 20, 2016   #867
elight
Tomatovillian™

Barb, I am trying to grow cucumbers for the last time. The first time, I didn't give them enough attention and they succumbed to mosaic virus. The second time, they went from looking great to completely dead in a period of 2 days from an unknown disease. The third time, the succumbed to leafminers as did many things in my garden.

I finally feel like I'm in a groove spraying for disease preventatively and having the right product to combat leafminers (saw a few affected leaves already, sprayed once and haven't seen any since). So I'm hoping this is the year, although it hasn't really gotten hot or wet yet, so we still have a way to go.

The first cuke plants are starting to climb the trellis. Had to re-seed some that got eaten by animals. Already have fruit set on about half the tomato plants. Hoping for nice weather in April.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #868
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb, my Lucid Gems are really loading up. I knw yours were ahead of mine. Curious if you have tasted any yet?
Old March 21, 2016   #869
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Ok, how do I get this site to quit sending me an email every time someone responds to a thread I have participated in? I have searched my "profile", to no avail. This crap of getting an email with each response makes it impossible to sleep. My phone buzzes all night long.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2016   #870
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
Ok, how do I get this site to quit sending me an email every time someone responds to a thread I have participated in? I have searched my "profile", to no avail. This crap of getting an email with each response makes it impossible to sleep. My phone buzzes all night long.
You can go to your profile and unsubscribe from any poat you have participated in.