Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 9, 2015   #856
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Looks great as usual, Worth! I'm chuckling at everyone mothering you!

I'm also super happy I didn't look at this thread hungry for once!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015   #857
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Old school potato salad made from my pickles and an onion in pictures.
Worth
Attachment 52364

Attachment 52365

Attachment 52366

Attachment 52367

Attachment 52368

Attachment 52369

Attachment 52370
Oh crap, there for a minute I was intrigued! It was as if I were makin' 'tater salad until you stuck that mixer in..

Mine starts out just like your's does, but I don't use Red Pontiac taters in mine just to mash them up!
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015   #858
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My reward.
Homemade bratwurst.
Going on diet tomorrow.
Worth
Attachment 52379
Almost, Worth!

-2 no napkin on a plate of mostly finger food...
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2015   #859
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth, may I suggest two additional ingredients for potato salad...

Chopped fried bacon
Grease from said fried bacon

mmmmm
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015   #860
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I would add shrimps to the salad. A little french twist to it. And some fresh dill.
Looks delicious. Was that pickled okra?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015   #861
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavid View Post
Kelly,
I am sure they will be caught. Glad you are ok. Lot of nuts out there, so be careful.
Thank you. I'm hoping to hear from the officer or PD this week. Filed a report with my insurance the same day. Not sure if I'll press charges if they catch him since neither me nor my car had any serious harm done, and I'm not really the vengeful type. We'll see though. I definitely want to find a way to send some cookies or something to the witness!

Quote:
This happened to my wife something like 3 times in the Austin area.

Worth
It's just nuts. Second time I've ever been rear-ended (first time I was actually hit by someone who was rear-ended themselves and I was in an old metal-body station wagon, so no harm done at all), but my first hit-and-run. I was just so shocked because it would never ever cross my mind to leave after hitting someone.
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015   #862
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTycoon View Post
Thank you. I'm hoping to hear from the officer or PD this week. Filed a report with my insurance the same day. Not sure if I'll press charges if they catch him since neither me nor my car had any serious harm done, and I'm not really the vengeful type. We'll see though. I definitely want to find a way to send some cookies or something to the witness!

It's just nuts. Second time I've ever been rear-ended (first time I was actually hit by someone who was rear-ended themselves and I was in an old metal-body station wagon, so no harm done at all), but my first hit-and-run. I was just so shocked because it would never ever cross my mind to leave after hitting someone.
Kelly you ever watch a show on TV where they have people come into houses and rob the place.
It is all staged and the people that do the robbing are real burglars that have supposedly cleaned up their act.
The owner sees what they have done to the house and are completely flabbergasted at how they tore the place up.
Years ago I was pulling a 32 foot trailer out in west Austin during rush hour.
A guy decided to change lanes and drove right into the rear wheels of my trailer.
All I could see was a car parts tornado in my rear view mirror.
We both pulled over and exchanged information no police were called.
I called my boss on the radio and drove the truck back to the shop with the ties all whacked out.
All I cared about was the little girl that was in the car.

A few days later after we filed a claim with the persons insurance company the truth came out.
The little girl was the guys niece he had borrowed the car from his brother and reported it as a hit and run in a parking lot.
The guy was wearing a suit and tie and looked respectable so to speak.

Then there was the woman I almost killed on North Lamar that pulled out in front of me.
The only thing that saved her was I was quick thinking and ran out into the turn lane to keep from hitting her right in the side of the car where she was driving.
It put the left front tire of her 70's boat car on top of her engine.
The police said I did a great job driving.
Side impacts kill people.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015   #863
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Worth, you have been busy since I last checked in. I love all your pics of your yummy cooking. And I appreciate the step by step pics of your potato salad.

Your sweet and salty pickles sound right up my alley, as I love anything with a sweet and salty combo! Mmmm.. I will be having some pickling cukes ripening soon..Do you mind sharing your recipe?

I showed my husband your Jalapeno Cheese Sausage pictures and he was drooling all over the screen. How did you make your sausages? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Thank's for sharing!

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015   #864
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Worth, you have been busy since I last checked in. I love all your pics of your yummy cooking. And I appreciate the step by step pics of your potato salad.

Your sweet and salty pickles sound right up my alley, as I love anything with a sweet and salty combo! Mmmm.. I will be having some pickling cukes ripening soon..Do you mind sharing your recipe?

I showed my husband your Jalapeno Cheese Sausage pictures and he was drooling all over the screen. How did you make your sausages? Inquiring minds want to know!!

Thank's for sharing!

Ginny
My god I hate this.
Sausage I dont quite remember honestly, it may even be in the meat grinder section or this thread.
I make sausage to taste.
White pepper salt garlic powder onion flakes and powder and jalapeno peppers.
The only thing you cant fool around with is the curing salt I use it is called pink salt or prauge powder #1 or instacure #1

Fool with it and cook a little and adjust to your liking.
Too much will kill you not enough and you may get sick if you are cold smoking it.
It is 1 teaspoon for every 5 pounds of ground meat/sausage.

Pickles are an experiment but my experiments usually come out okay.
I had to do some math to do it.
Let me see now it was 3 tablespoons of salt maybe the same of vinegar 1/8 teaspoon alum 2 cups of water and a pile of cloves.
Sugar to taste.
I have a lot of cloves I love cloves done right.
This was enough for 3 pints of pickles.
They are sealed and in the refrigerator.
No water bath.
What I have found out is if you like something then use it in your food I have no recipes to speak of and it keeps life less boring.
The only thing I do is make sure I stick to certain rules when it comes to preserving.

Worth
Old August 10, 2015   #865
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
Oh crap, there for a minute I was intrigued! It was as if I were makin' 'tater salad until you stuck that mixer in..

Mine starts out just like your's does, but I don't use Red Pontiac taters in mine just to mash them up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
Almost, Worth!

-2 no napkin on a plate of mostly finger food...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Worth, may I suggest two additional ingredients for potato salad...

Chopped fried bacon
Grease from said fried bacon

mmmmm
Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I would add shrimps to the salad. A little french twist to it. And some fresh dill.
Looks delicious. Was that pickled okra?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipetual View Post
Looks great as usual, Worth! I'm chuckling at everyone mothering you!

I'm also super happy I didn't look at this thread hungry for once!
A few comments on the comments about the potato salad.

Hellmanns the mixer didn't over mix the potatoes and turn them into mush.
The poor old thing is Made In America and deserves to be used once and a while.
It is around 35 years old.

I didn't use red Pontiac taters either.
The red you see is pickled chili Arbol from my pickle jar, very hot.
The napkin was in my lap.

Salt I use a little bacon in my German potato salad but not this type.

Ella I dont know whether I could do the shrimp or not but I wish I had fresh dill.
If it was fresh shrimp yes but you know how store bought shrimp can be sometimes.
If it smells fishy it isn't fit to eat and is going bad.

And thank you Bluee19 and Bipetual.

Worth.
Old August 10, 2015   #866
bluee19
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I am waiting for my dinner.
Old August 10, 2015   #867
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluee19 View Post
Worth, I am waiting for my dinner.
A can of sardines and a cucumber.
Had potato salad for breakfast and a pickle for lunch.

Worth
Old August 10, 2015   #868
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I changed my mind.
Everything on the plate I grew or made myself.
Worth
IMG_20150810_20789.jpg
Old August 10, 2015   #869
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
No it isn't burned it is the lighting
Worth
Attachment 52054
Yeah...I know the game was on...but packing heat at the table ain't gentile.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2015   #870
Zana
Tomatovillian™

OMG....catching up made me so hungry I had to take a break and go make something to eat. But unlike Worth I just made an omelet....coming off a migraine I go easy and light on food.

In the past 3 weeks I've been making jam, jellies, syrups, pickles and chutneys. So far I have:
Strawberry Jam............................................... 24 250ml (half pint) jars & 12 500ml (pint) jars
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam..................................24 250ml (half pint) jars
Strawberry Blueberry Jam................................24 250ml (half pint) jars
Strawberry Blueberry Grape Jam......................18 250ml (half pint) jars
Blueberry Raisin Jam........................................18 250ml (half pint) jars
Strawberry Blueberry Merlot Jam......................24 250ml (half pint) jars
Ginger Marmalade......................................... ...18 250ml (half pint) jars
Strawberry Merlot Syrup...................................12 500ml (pint) jars
Blueberry Syrup............................................. ...12 500ml (pint) jars
Apricot Plum Bing Cherry Chutney.....................15 250ml (half pint) jars
Armenian Style Dill Pickled Green Beans - with hot peppers.........8 500ml (pint) jars - more to come
Serious Garlic Armenian Style Dill Pickled Green Beans................3 500ml (pint) jars - more to come
Sicilian Caponata.......................................... .............................28 500ml (pint) jars

Thursday I'm getting together with my sis and niece to do a mini-pickling-marathon. Mini in our books is anything under 2 to 3 bushels of cukes, and at least 36 quart jars of mixed Armenian Style Dill Pickles (Tourshi). Back when my parents were alive and we did the full on marathons, we'd finish with well over 300 jars of cukes, about 100+ jars of the mixed and about 60 jars of the pickled green beans. My niece who is 23 now, wants to learn how to do the pickling...and the other canning and preserving. Since I'm the only one that makes the jams, jellies, preserves and chutney's she has been coming over to work on those. We worked our ways through 48 quarts of strawberries over 2 days...lol. (oh my aching knees and feet) and about 24 quarts of blueberries fresh picked up at our cottage.

Sorry no pics at this time, but the stack of jars in boxes is taller than me in the basement...and that's after giving my niece 24 250ml jars of different jams and trading about a dozen 250ml jars with a few other friends who make other types of jams, etc.....and I've given away about 2 dozen 250ml jars so far too. LOL...and for the record I'm 5'1.

At this point I still plan to do some salsas, peach, plum and cherry jams, herb jellies, the cukes, pickled hot peppers, roasted tomato sauce, marinara sauce, various bbq sauces, and pickled eggs.

When I started I was down to the last couple of jars from the past years' stash...literally. So this year I am doing a full stock up. I rarely buy store bought of those.

So when I get it all done I'll take a pick of the whole stash.....or some of the mini-marathon this Thursday. LOL

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote