Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 24, 2012   #1
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
I'm impressed! I ordered Thursday night just before bed, and my order arrived in Monday morning's mail! Wow! Thanks also for the free seeds.
Robin,

Thank you, sometimes the post office makes me look good
Enjoy the new dwarfs and have a great season!

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2012   #2
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

I messed up. wrong thread
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2012   #3
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

Got my seed in today, that was fast. They we packaged nicely and I do appreciate the extra seeds to try.
Bruce
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2012   #4
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedog55 View Post
Got my seed in today, that was fast. They we packaged nicely and I do appreciate the extra seeds to try.
Bruce
Thank You Bruce, glad they made it!
Old July 4, 2012   #5
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Limei,

Thank you for the feedback. "Floradade" (aka "Flora-Dade") is an impressive old-timer (1976?) and it's good to hear it did well for your mother. It has done well here in both greenhouse and field, and it seems to have some disease tolerance built in. Interestingly, for me, the early season Floradade tomatoes were better tasting than those harvested later in the season - the opposite of other varieties. Some of the newer creations from Randy Gardner should also do well for your mom. I need to try them myself. Check out:
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/MOUNTAI...ductinfo/3213/

Did the OP version of "Fourth of July" do anything for you or your mom? I appreciate any feedback (good or bad) on it's performance. Thanks!

Steve
Old August 10, 2012   #6
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
I'm happy to announce Heritage Tomato Seed is now offering all 9 of the new dwarfs introduced last year by the Dwarf Tomato Project:
http://heritagetomatoseed.com/catego...omato-project/
I am also in the process of listing our other tomato additions and hope to have them completed in early November.

As an introduction, Heritage Tomato Seed is a joint venture between my sister Marla and myself. We are still (this our third year) a very small tomato seed company and we save all of our own heirloom/OP tomato seeds.

Marla has been an avid gardener all of her life and operates our Sacramento, CA trial garden - she also does most of the blossom bagging, tomato grafting and is the only one of us that can read, and understand, a scientific paper on plant genetics. She is the brains behind the business - I'm sure she would agree.

I (Steve) run the San Diego trial garden, fill the seed orders, and do the website stuff. I have raised dahlias commercially, as cut flowers, for 30 years, so I am much more of an expert on dahlias than on tomatoes, but I'm observant, and am learning fast.

Thanks to Mischka for creating Tomatoville and thanks to everyone here for sharing your tomato growing experiences. I find the information here invaluable.

Steve

http://heritagetomatoseed.com/

Hello Steve

I know this is an old post, but is your Summertime Gold just as beautiful as the Sweet Scaret Dwarf plant.

Farmer Joyce Beggs
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2012   #7
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Hello Steve

I know this is an old post, but is your Summertime Gold just as beautiful as the Sweet Scaret Dwarf plant.

Farmer Joyce Beggs
Hi Joyce,

Compared to what you are probably seeing on Sweet Scarlet Dwarf, Summertime Gold is a slightly taller plant with smaller PL foliage. But, all of the project Dwarfs have that distinctive, "cute" look going for them.

Steve
Old August 10, 2012   #8
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi Joyce,

Compared to what you are probably seeing on Sweet Scarlet Dwarf, Summertime Gold is a slightly taller plant with smaller PL foliage. But, all of the project Dwarfs have that distinctive, "cute" look going for them.

Steve
You are right about that. If I am going to grow a Hybrid I want it to be beautiful and taste good, like the Green Zebra's. Believe it are not " I have more Coorongs tomatoes growing per plant than my beautiful Sweet Scarlet. I had no other choice but to grow the project dwarfs nare my deck where I feed the Birds each year, to keep them away from my Heirloom Farm Area. Well It must taste good, because every out-side animal has eaten my sweet scarlets. So one day I decide to put off a beautiful greem one that had a little corol on the bottom. I waited a week for full color, than my grandchild eat it because her middle name is very simular to Scarlet. I guess she was thinging that tomato plant of grandma's was perrty like herself, and i must eat it first.

As for my Coorong: nothing eats it. I think because of the very strong deep deep tomato taste. I am going to bag the whole plant today out of this netting metrial that the sun can get through for the new forming flowers.
Old August 10, 2012   #9
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Joyce, your grandchild has good taste - I think Craig and Patrina are anxious to stabilize Sweet Scarlet Dwarf and get it released to the public. Hopefully, in a few years it will be available to everyone, it is a very good tomato. It sounds like you are having fun working on the project!

Steve
Old August 14, 2012   #10
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Joyce, your grandchild has good taste - I think Craig and Patrina are anxious to stabilize Sweet Scarlet Dwarf and get it released to the public. Hopefully, in a few years it will be available to everyone, it is a very good tomato. It sounds like you are having fun working on the project!

Steve
Yes, I give a special thanks to Graig ana Patriina for letting me help out with this project:

Here is a picture of Coorong & Green zebra cooking with my lamp chops just to get a feel of having to different strong tasting Tomatoe tgether. it was good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lamp with tomatoes 039.JPG (623.2 KB, 113 views)
Old August 11, 2012   #11
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I am having much fun with my first out-side project.

I hope it "will not" take that long.
Old August 11, 2012   #12
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

I just looked it up on Tatianas date site to see your decription of the plant. You are right is a beautiful plant but not as beautiful as the Sweet Scarlet. Here is her pictures on the plant.
http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Summertime_Gold

I am so pround of you-all research, because many people are living in apartments, but wants to grow tomatoes. You-all research is giving them this oppurtunity, I am glad to finaly help out, . I never thought this project would be so joyful to my soul.
Old August 14, 2012   #13
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I have to say I have not ever had much luck with Green Zebra! I keep trying and it keeps breaking my heart!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2012   #14
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
I have to say I have not ever had much luck with Green Zebra! I keep trying and it keeps breaking my heart!
Sharon
I sorry about that: I treat & grow my Green Zebra's just like Heirlooms. It loves to grow in natural organic soil,
Old August 14, 2012   #15
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

SharonRossy,
You should try Green Zebra Cherry (and Heritage sells it), it's been fabulous this year. So prolific and SWEET! It has gone on my "grow every year" list.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote