Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 13, 2015   #76
luke
Tomatovillian™

I grew up with Better Boy in my parent`s garden, and I plant plenty of them for my main crop for sandwiches.
luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #77
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Mountain Pride (NC 7984) - Breeder and vendor: North Carolina State University, Fletcher. Parentage: Cherokee x NC 50-7. Characteristics: F1 hybrid, fresh market, large, determinate, late season, medium-large, flat-round fruit. Resistance: fusarium wilt races 1 and 2, verticillium wilt race 1. Adaptation: southeastern United States. HortScience 17:92-93, 1982. 1981.

Mountain Pride is actually a very good tomato and it does indeed have exceptional flavor. This was the first line released by Randy Gardner. I've had local reports that this variety is not producing large fruit in recent years like it did when released. I called Randy Gardner a few weeks ago and asked him to check about the seed stock they have to see if I can get hold of the original lines and perhaps make a manual cross to see if genetic drift is taking a toll.

As for hybrids I grow, Ramapo, Big Beef, Sungold, Mountain Merit, Amelia, and Mountain Pride are pretty much my standards.
Curious as to what he said..

Last year an old man I know grew them and they produced medium sized tomatos like crazy but they had a sour taste.

Got one in the garden this year to see if it was the water. Never grew them before.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote