Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 11, 2016   #946
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Jax - I've had that pea size tomato happen before even on plants that end up productive.

What I have pretty much on all fully mature plants with fruit is later blooms that should produce a tomato, don't fall off and if I remove the bloom, there is a little tomato but it never drops.

This is especially obvious with the determinates I grew this year.

But also on the Orange Russian 117 - I have 4 giant tomatoes - blooms on various parts....out there buzzing but no new fruit set , then 3 more tomatoes, blooms again .... there are less and less blooms lately.

I also see it on the dwarfs I'm growing....

We need Marsha to chime in - Kay might know.

Ginny - I keep thinking of you having 30 tomatoes on the PBTD with lots of blossoms - I won't get 30 tomatoes from PBTD all year. What are you feeding it?

I probably have 30 tomatoes on Juane Flamme or Dragon's Eye.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #947
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb its hard to see but there are 10 tomatoes in this one cluster pictured above. This PBTD. One tomato is partially hidden behind a leaf and one or two are partially hidden behind the other tomatoes. I got a late start becaue of cold weather so they are just golf ball sized or smaller but growing fast. And there are about 6 or 7 large stems all with tomatoes and tons of blooms. I counted 43 tomatoes so far on this plant. I have the 3 cups in the fert strip of tomato tone. And i supplement with cacium nitrate or texas tomato food about once a week. I have been rotating those two because i have both on hand.

The tomatoes anove are Sgt Pepper on the right and Not Purple Strawberry on the left.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #948
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies. Kay, do your tomatillos sort of look like a cross between a pepper and tomato plant? I'm getting blossoms at the forks like a pepper.

I am fascinated by this plant. It is not like anything else I have ever grown. The fruit looks like paper lanterns when it starts forming. I had to touch them to check it out and they seem totally hollow at first. I am very impressed at the productivity. I have been having a battle with army worms on my tomato plants even though I am spraying with bt. So far nothing seems to be bothering the tomatillos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160412_100240.jpg (44.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20160412_100326.jpg (57.3 KB, 89 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #949
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb, it seems like everyone loves Painted Pink. Even though it does have great taste I have to wonder if the beauty of the tomato doesn't influence it being picked as a favorite.

I am growing the Indigo Cherry Drop also and it is taking forever to ripen. I wonder if that is just a trait of the blue tomatoes. I am looking forward to comparing taste. Painted Pink tomatoes start out plain green and then get the purple shoulders. ICD starts out a very dark purple and then lightens up on the bottom as it grows
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160412_103417.jpg (41.3 KB, 95 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #950
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

How do i kill these things on my cucumber plants? We picked off what we could find but is there something i should spray?

Ginny
Old April 12, 2016   #951
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default See if this helps

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgi.../hgic2207.html
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #952
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

So which one is it? I had already searched.
Old April 13, 2016   #953
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - you could spray with BT; that would take care of any worms/catepillars.
When I get them, they go for the fruit - probably pickle worms....I never just see them hanging out on the leaf.

I picked 1 Cuke yesterday and 4 today. I also picked my first Juane Flamme tomato (ever) from the batch planted in March.

Except for a few plants such as Lucid Gem, Painted Pink, and Orange Russian, all of my tomato plants were in their final destination with 3 days of March 1.

-----
So I'm also growing Dragons Eye - I got the seeds as a free pack from Heritage. Honestly, I don't see how this tomato will turn into the color posted. At first it reminded me of Painted Pink, but it looks like Ginny's picture and is way bigger than a cherry or painted pink. I have it in an EB and Root Pouch.

I will try to post a picture of it later.
Old April 13, 2016   #954
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, in that article, every single pest is taken care of with Neem oil. Most with pyrethrins too.
I use BT on worms I see, so all 3 might be useful.
A cucumber beetle article showed a larva with a long body, 3 sets of legs, and a black head. Maybe that's your buggy?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #955
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post

How do i kill these things on my cucumber plants? We picked off what we could find but is there something i should spray?

Ginny
That's the pickle worm. They infest mine every year. I am going to drape mine with toole (sp?) fabric at night and remove it in the morning this year. I want the pollinators during the day. However, the pickle worm moth flies between midnight and 3-4 a.m. and it is not attracted by UV light so a bug zapper is of no use.

A close cousin is the squash vine borer, but I bought a trap that has pretty much taken care of them. I just inspect my squash stalks and remove them if I see any frass.
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #956
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to make an order from Urban Garden (TTF). Anyone else local need anything? That way we split shipping.
Old April 13, 2016   #957
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Jax - That is a great idea about using toole. I didn't know what time they flew. How will you drape the toole when the plant is full size? I use to make toole rooms to keep away caterpillars and use to wrap tomato cages in toole before the plants got bigger than the cage. I'm sure I still have loads of it left.

I gave up on growing squash (zucchini) due to getting 1 huge one and then worms took over or mildew. What does your trap look like?
Old April 13, 2016   #958
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Here's my picture of what is suppose to be Dragon's Eye:

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dragons Eye you think (400x340).jpg (80.1 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Dragons Eye (400x300).jpg (60.5 KB, 55 views)
Old April 13, 2016   #959
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
That's the pickle worm. They infest mine every year. I am going to drape mine with toole (sp?) fabric at night and remove it in the morning this year. I want the pollinators during the day. However, the pickle worm moth flies between midnight and 3-4 a.m. and it is not attracted by UV light so a bug zapper is of no use.

A close cousin is the squash vine borer, but I bought a trap that has pretty much taken care of them. I just inspect my squash stalks and remove them if I see any frass.
I take that back, I'm not sure that is the pickle worm as I think the marking down the back is green. Brown head, then green stripe down the middle. Not sure what you have there. I have never found a SVB or pickle worm outside of the stalk or fruit.
Old April 13, 2016   #960
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Jax - That is a great idea about using toole. I didn't know what time they flew. How will you drape the toole when the plant is full size? I use to make toole rooms to keep away caterpillars and use to wrap tomato cages in toole before the plants got bigger than the cage. I'm sure I still have loads of it left.

I gave up on growing squash (zucchini) due to getting 1 huge one and then worms took over or mildew. What does your trap look like?
Not sure how I'm going to do the toole frabric yet. I want it to be quick, so I can uncover it in the morning and cover it at night. I usually check my garden before and after work, so I'll come up with some half-brained idea that only takes a minute or so. Right now, I'm thinking of threading or using that ironing hemming stuff to fuse the bolts together to make sort of a blanket, then connecting one end to a piece of PVC or such. Then just pull it up and tuck it in at night like I do my kids and uncover in the morning.

I'm worried that it will keep crap like DM and help it spread.