Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2016   #1021
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Barb, yes the Juane Flamme and Stupice are at my neighbors. I take care of them and he eats them... :-) those are two easy and productive and early tasty plants.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
What a deal? (for him) - lol

Aren't you surprised how big the tomatoes are? I love that plant,
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #1022
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Ginny - Even the Pink Brandywine Cherry tomato is stingy. (and when it finally produces fruit, it is LATE).

I tried growing Brandywine Red so many times; beautiful plants. 0 fruit.

I even gave Yellow BW their own SWC and got one HUGE fruit.

I would get some blooms but they never materialized in fruit.

The only one that produces a ton is the Brandywine Dark Cherry (BCD). I wonder how close that is to how a BW actually tastes. I've never tasted one.
Yes BCD was a really good producer and so tasty. That was one my sweet neighbor had also that i took care of ... lol. We all really like it but it took it a really long time to ripen so this time i gave him Jaune Flamme and stupice... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2016   #1023
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to mention, that I have fermented seed for Lucid Gem if anyone is interested in the fall. Also fermenting Boronia (picture of a tomato and sliced in the Photo thread) and several others.

Just picked my first ripe Sekai Ichi and Corum Kirmizisi. (Seeds bought from Heritage, just by reading the descriptions).

If you are interested in any of my seeds, happy to provide them.
Old April 22, 2016   #1024
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Ginny - Aren't you growing Juane' Flamme? What a producer!
-----------------
****** Vorlon **** grew in the fall in an EB; mega producer but a lot of BER initially; I think because it was such a fast grower and sucking water. Anyway, this time the seedlings were wimpy; I put in a 15 gallon root pouch, with some JOBES 8-8-8 fertilizer I wanted to get rid of anyway; no big deal when the plant dies. The plants exploded; looks like AKMARKS plants; no disease, not optimal sun because it is behind Bulgarian Triumph, and GoldKrone, and further right is Juane' Flamme. I'm so impressed with the plant.
---
I'm picking so many tomatoes; I'm so happy that some of them are still growing and green.
Barb,
Thanks for the telling us about Vorlon. I will give it a try in the fall.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2016   #1025
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

I think I got Aji Amarillo seeds from you right? How did you like it? The plant isn't as bushy as my other pepper plants. I'm thinking about pruning it back in hopes it will bush up more. How were yours and how did you like the peppers?

Ginny
Old April 23, 2016   #1026
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Barb,

I think I got Aji Amarillo seeds from you right? How did you like it? The plant isn't as bushy as my other pepper plants. I'm thinking about pruning it back in hopes it will bush up more. How were yours and how did you like the peppers?

Ginny
I'm sure you got your seeds from me. I had 2 plants; one was short and bushy, the other was tall like a pruned tomato plant. Both produced tons of peppers. They start off mild, but the longer they are on the plant and change colors from green to yellow, then orange, the hotter they become. They ended up getting too hot for us. Probably not all that hot, but we are wimps. I gave them to my neighbor until they said no more. I had TONS.

Here is a pic of them short bushy one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aji Peppers (1024x678) (400x265).jpg (99.1 KB, 119 views)
Old April 23, 2016   #1027
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Oh wow, thats a lot of peppers. Cool! I cant decide if its too late to try to prune it or not. I guess i will leave it. Below is a picture and you can see in the background the pepper plant next to it is super bushy. My pepper plants are so low maintenance compared to the tomato plants... lol.

Heres our cucumber harvest this morning. I have dill growing and was going to try to make refrigerator pickles but hubby wants to have cucumber and tomato salad.

Ginny
Old April 23, 2016   #1028
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Ginny I hope you do get some Rocoto germination. I would soak the seeds overnight and be prepared for a long wait. If they don't work out I know I will have a good supply of 3rd generation Florida grown seeds after this season.
Kay,

Thanks for the advice. I will try that this time. :-)

Ginny
Old April 23, 2016   #1029
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I forgot to mention, that I have fermented seed for Lucid Gem if anyone is interested in the fall. Also fermenting Boronia (picture of a tomato and sliced in the Photo thread) and several others.

Just picked my first ripe Sekai Ichi and Corum Kirmizisi. (Seeds bought from Heritage, just by reading the descriptions).

If you are interested in any of my seeds, happy to provide them.
Wow, I looked it up. Corum Kirmizisi sounds like a winner. How does it taste?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #1030
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oh wow, thats a lot of peppers. Cool! I cant decide if its too late to try to prune it or not. I guess i will leave it. Below is a picture and you can see in the background the pepper plant next to it is super bushy. My pepper plants are so low maintenance compared to the tomato plants... lol.

Heres our cucumber harvest this morning. I have dill growing and was going to try to make refrigerator pickles but hubby wants to have cucumber and tomato salad.

Ginny
Ginny, are all husbands the same?
My likes it with dill and sour cream.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2016   #1031
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing 3 ,new to me, tomato varieties which I am impressed with. One that may interest a few of you is Tomande F1 Indeterminate VFNNT. First I find the variety very versatile. I have 1 plant in a 3 gal, some in 6 gal and some in 10 gal containers and it produces in all 3. The other thing that impresses me is the taste. I like the taste of 4th of July and Bloody Butcher is a bit better but the only tomato that I have tasted that I liked more than Tomande was Indian Stripe but Tomande is way more productive. One seed vendor says"Heirloom taste and abundant hybrid yields" and while I often find what the seed vendors say about taste to be off the mark, I think in this case it is true. I had another person with a more discriminating sense of taste than I give it a try and they thought the same as I. Very good complex taste and like no other tomato I have tasted it tastes as if it has been very lightly salted.
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; April 24, 2016 at 01:25 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2016   #1032
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - Your Aji plant looks exactly like my tall one; I would leave it; you will still get more peppers than you could possible eat or share. I also had a 3rd one and it was somewhere inbetween; all 3 were super productive. Pick the peppers according to the heat you want.

I also find peppers so much easier than tomatoes; I can have peppers lose all their leaves (because they got too wet, or a caterpillar at them all) and come back and produce heavy.

I'm picking so many cucumbers everyday. We are making pickles (first time) using pickles from the snow pepper plant; in the fermentation process now; will let you know how it goes. Preparation was easy.

Just remember to keep picking the cucumbers; else they will stop producing. There are also more seeds in the big cucumbers too.

BTW - The third plant is Sweet Success and only females; they have all flowered now; if they all turn into cucumbers, what a harvest it will be. Plant is not massive like Snow.

Did you start the other seeds?

----
Larry - Thanks for the tip about Tomande F1. Will check it out; I plant on planting more hybrids in the fall (for white fly insurance).

---
Efiscakov - Haven't eaten it yet; too many tomatoes. Plant is very productive and still setting fruit. I have 2 plants; it was my only plant that BOTH went in EBs. All others were EB and Root Pouch, or just Root Pouch. Will post back when I do.

Ate my first ripe PBTD today.
Old April 27, 2016   #1033
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I had promised to give a taste report on Gold Nugget. It has a good flavor but is pretty tart, not at all sweet. The size is just what I like in a cherry. I don't like tiny ones like Coyote or Everglade but I don't like it when they are two big. I measured the plant today and at its tallest point it is only 26 inches high. I have been waiting for the dwarf project to come up with a good cherry but this plant is shorter than any of my dwarf plants so I am content. It is very productive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160427_121125.jpg (172.6 KB, 82 views)
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #1034
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Here are the first of my larger sized tomatoes starting to ripen. The heart shaped are Sgt Peppers and i think they will turn more red. The other two are Not Purple Strawberry. The peppers are Padron and Aji Amarillo of which I got the seeds for both from Barb.

Ginny
Old April 29, 2016   #1035
AudreyFL
Tomatovillian™

Default Dwarf Question

Finally getting blossoms on my dwarf tomato plants. I almost didn't see the blossoms on a few of the plants until I was looking for pests. The leaves, especially on top – are so tightly curled down that it's hard to see tiny tomatoes forming and even the blossoms. Does anyone know if this is normal for these varieties?

Specifically New Big Dwarf, Dwarf Champion and Red Robin is super tightly curled up!

Thanks all!

Audrey
AudreyFL is offline   Reply With Quote