Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 25, 2016   #1141
Windi17
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
My guess, start them earlier. The heat now is making life rough for most varieties. In my garden tomatoes are winding down. All but one container of 4th of July are done. I believe in 3 weeks the plants in the raised beds will have produced about all they are going to for this season. Some of the indeterminates plants will continue to grow and grow but yield little. I will pull them before they have a change to get monstrous. By pulling them quickly I will have less plant to deal with and it will give me a chance to look at the roots as they were when the plant was producing.
Thank you for the great tips. I'll definitely be starting earlier next time. I, too, want to pull the plants to inspect for nematode activity and anything else that looks off.
Old May 25, 2016   #1142
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I wanted to share another way to enjoy tomatoes. I was smoking Leutschauer Paprika Peppers before drying them to make hot paprika powder and decided to try smoking some tomatoes. I used Indigo Cherry Drop, Painted Pink, Pink Bumblebee and Gold Nugget. I sliced them in half lengthwise and place them cut side up on a mesh grill sheet. I smoked them at 225 for 30 minutes. They were beyond amazing. They were warm, juicy and smokey. I am going to make some for Memorial Day and hope I don't eat them all before the family gets here.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016   #1143
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Kay that sounds awesome! Will have to try it... :-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016   #1144
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Just an update. We are in Philly, but mt florida neighbor that is watering the plants sent the above picture yesterday. He said its a little basket he put together and gave to our other neighbor that only comes to the area on the weekends. I thought it was so pretty.

The tomato above is golf ball sized and its like a mini Pink Berkeley Tie Dye in looks and taste. It is from an unstable cross between Black and Brown Boar and Trentons Tiger. The seeds came labeled as F4 Brad Gates Small Mix and I planted 3 seeds and got three completely different results but this one was my favorite because it had so many tomatoes and was early and beautiful and super tasty just like PBTD. Not sure what I will get with the F5 seeds but going to try them in the fall and see what happens... :-)

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; May 29, 2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old May 29, 2016   #1145
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, I was smoking peppers yesterday to make smoked paprika powder when the grandkids wanted to come down and swim. I popped in cherry tomatoes to be ready when they got there. The kids do not eat tomatoes but my DIL, son and I polished of a plate of them. I think you will like them.

I just bought a cold smoking attachment for my smoker and want to make some smoked cheese. Once I started reading about it I found out you can't do it if the temperature is too high. I froze 2 milk jugs of water to try an experiment. I put a thermometer in the smoker and it was 82 degrees. After an hour with the frozen jugs in there the thermometer read 65 degrees. Now I just need to have Publix put Cabot cheese on sale so I can get busy.
Old May 29, 2016   #1146
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I wanted to share another way to enjoy tomatoes. I was smoking Leutschauer Paprika Peppers before drying them to make hot paprika powder and decided to try smoking some tomatoes. I used Indigo Cherry Drop, Painted Pink, Pink Bumblebee and Gold Nugget. I sliced them in half lengthwise and place them cut side up on a mesh grill sheet. I smoked them at 225 for 30 minutes. They were beyond amazing. They were warm, juicy and smokey. I am going to make some for Memorial Day and hope I don't eat them all before the family gets here.
How did I miss this. Kay, I am driving up for dinner! LOL!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016   #1147
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I might have to buy a smoker. Do they come small?
Old May 29, 2016   #1148
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Yummy yummy! Also when thers a will theres a way! That was so creative to you try the frozen jugs.

Ginny
Old May 29, 2016   #1149
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Marsha the peppers are coming in so fast it seems like I am smoking almost every other day now. It is a good thing Lowes has wood chips on sale. It is fun to watch people's face when they first bite into one. They are not expecting them to taste so good.
Old May 29, 2016   #1150
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

My friend Ellie( Bunny Hop Seeds) sent me some of her smoked paprika, after much begging on my part, and a promise to send her some dehydrated mangoes when ready.
That paprika is just delicious.
Old May 29, 2016   #1151
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Ellie is going ot LOVE your dehydrated Mangoes.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old May 29, 2016   #1152
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Smoking cheese takes too much time. I do like smoked gouda, never the less.
Here is a new recipe I just discovered and already hooked up on it.
Walmart sells Queso Fresco at about $4 a pound. It is sooooo good fried.
Easy to do as well. Set the stove to 3 or so (nothing to add at all) and let it get some color. Turn (it turns easily) and give a bit time. Ready to eat immediately. So good and inexpensive.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016   #1153
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I might have to buy a smoker. Do they come small?
They do come in all sizes. I have the Masterbuilt 30 inch electric that I got from Amazon. I did not want a huge one but I do smoke our Thanksgiving turkey so I needed some room. I also smoke babyback ribs and have to have enough room for that.

It only take a few hours to smoke cheese and when I do it I am going to do an assortment of cheese that I can vacuum seal so they will last. Smoked Gouda is one of my favorites and I can't wait to see what other smoked cheese sounds like.

I also have heard smoked figs are wonderful and I bet if Marsha lightly smoked her mango before drying it would be over the top in taste.
Old May 29, 2016   #1154
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting your creative ideas.

Is it possible, to skin the tomatoes and freeze to use in the future? I've just been freezing sauce....I've been making salsa too but just fresh, not freezing it.

Example: During the week, I did the boil/ice-bath to get the skins off tomatoes to make sauce. I had so many extras, they were over-the top of the pot.

So I called my neighbor to ask if she wanted the skin-less tomatoes to make something. She made the most incredible Cajun Shrimp dish and gave over half of it to us.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2016   #1155
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
They do come in all sizes. I have the Masterbuilt 30 inch electric that I got from Amazon. I did not want a huge one but I do smoke our Thanksgiving turkey so I needed some room. I also smoke babyback ribs and have to have enough room for that.

It only take a few hours to smoke cheese and when I do it I am going to do an assortment of cheese that I can vacuum seal so they will last. Smoked Gouda is one of my favorites and I can't wait to see what other smoked cheese sounds like.

I also have heard smoked figs are wonderful and I bet if Marsha lightly smoked her mango before drying it would be over the top in taste.
Wow what a GREAT idea. Very creative Kay. OK, now your just making me crazy!