Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 30, 2013   #106
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Cran -

Try beef sticks, you know those cheap ones they sell at 7-11 as snacks. A pest control guy told me that rats love those things more than peanut butter or cheese or anything else in traps. Maybe it would work for raccoons too????

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2013   #107
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Ok, thanks for the tip Lyn. I'll give that a shot too. It's frustrating to have them ripping up established plants. So far not the peas and cukes bed, thankfully.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2013   #108
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Also, whoever said lettuce doesn't like transplant, is a bit off. Twice now I'll lay seed down and once it develops it's second set of leaves, I thin the row out carefully removing and replanting the extra in 3 in pots. So far it's had great success with very little loss or waste
Old March 30, 2013   #109
babice
Tomatovillian™

Ugh I have problems with raccoons every year too. What are they eating? Cran, I started a yoga teacher certification course and have been really busy with that. Plus there's really not much to post about gardening-wise in the winter 'round here. I wasn't really sure if I'd get the bug for gardening this year or not but....OF COURSE I did! For comparison sake, I took a pic of my strawberry plant which just started showing some leaves last week. I have some crocuses pushing up out in the yard for the first time today.

Later edit: oops just re-read your post that they're digging stuff up for the worms. Hmmm...interesting.

Last edited by babice; March 30, 2013 at 03:27 PM.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2013   #110
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I then had a raccoon, rip some out In an attempt to get the worms, so I had to harvest that.
Did they walk over the bridge or hitch a ride on a boat? Ami
Old March 31, 2013   #111
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Ha

I'm thinking they walk over the bridge or perhaps they parachute in. Black ops mission- code name "brunch".

There are a fair amount of season residents, so perhaps they are nesting under one of those.
Old March 31, 2013   #112
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

If you all are wondering about my question Cran lives on Balboa Island which is totally surrounded by water and the only access is a single bridge. Use to spend some time there in my younger days. Ami

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&gs...&ved=0CIwBELYD
Old March 31, 2013   #113
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

I'm attempting to change the mindset of the residents from "let's stuff the biggest house on a lot with no usable yard" to a bit more balance. People walk by and have no idea what to think. The mental stages of tourists/residents walking by:
-confusion (normally includes some laughter)
-denial
-intrigue
-acceptance
-joy

You see that upper and lower back Bay Area. It's a protected coastal estuary, I believe they most likely hang out there and cruise the "Hoods" for cat food, trash cans and some people who might feed them.

Babice,
Well I'm glad you got the grow bug again, and good luck with your certification and training. I like me some yoga.
What have you done with your raccoon issue?
Old March 31, 2013   #114
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post

Babice,
Well I'm glad you got the grow bug again, and good luck with your certification and training. I like me some yoga. What have you done with your raccoon issue?
Hi! Well, haven't resolved it really. We'll see if they're as bad this year or not. I do spray that stinky raccoon deterrant stuff out there now and then. Doesn't completely control them. I read they don't like large leaves such as pumpkin vines, etc. Last year I grew clematis vines over the stairs up to the deck (which is where they come up and use the deck as a latrine) and that may have helped somewhat.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #115
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Ok got ya. I heard the deterrent stuff really didn't produce good results, but at this point I'll try anything to avoid them taking out the mators, eggplant and basil that goes in this weekend.
Old April 2, 2013   #116
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Here is the lettuce and turnips I pulled today, round 2 of lettuce is about 1 inch tall and thanks to clearing the turnips, about to grow quickly, due to exposure.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364952404.917282.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364952424.318095.jpg

The sweet peppers have yet to sprout but the new round of spinach is coming up

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364952482.850236.jpg

I also believe I'm close to picking some Amish snap peas, but I've never grown them so I need to do some research the way to tell.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364952603.234455.jpg

Well thanks for looking
Old April 2, 2013   #117
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I'm a third generation native and I have never heard of Balboa Island. Is it Point Loma? Coronado?
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2013   #118
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

It's in Orange County, north of that area.
Old April 2, 2013   #119
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

Oh ! For some reason I thought you were in San Diego. LOL !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2013   #120
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Lyn is in San Diego though.