Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 12, 2016   #106
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Ted, what's that pale green-yellow one in the upper right hand (looks a bit like a melon or a papaya)?
That is a "still ripening" tomato named "Plan 9 From Outer Space". You can see the final colors at Sample Seed Shop. I got the seed there. Remy assured me that the colors were going just as they should. Pretty thing. The plant loaded up with lots of fruit.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2016   #107
imp
Tomatovillian™

So, how did these do in the taste test?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2016   #108
chlorophile
Tomatovillian™

I have a sungold f2 that tastes identical to f1. I know this means little at this point, but I'll grow out a bunch of seeds for kicks.

Cool thread! Good luck, friend.
chlorophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2016   #109
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Ha ha Chlorophile, I did that too. Not on purpose though. An F2 popped up where Sungold grew the previous year and, being a sucker for volunteers, I let it grow and the taste was very similar to Sungold F1, plus it was gold. Wouldn't ya know, another volunteer came up in the same spot this year. Sungold F3..... Looks the same, tastes similar. I am tempted to actually save seeds and keep growing it out.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2016   #110
imp
Tomatovillian™

Maybe you'll hit the jackpot with it!
Old August 24, 2016   #111
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default Big Orange Volunteer

Well, where are we on this one? I guess that my answer is in the fact that yesterday I sent packages of seeds to be posted on the website. I think my writeup on it says it all. Other than the aroma of the foliage being somewhat stronger on the Hybrid, and my volunteer being larger, I can find no other difference. So, I am offering it out to the public. It should be on the website in a few days. It will be listed as "Big Orange Volunteer".

I hope you folks like it as much as I do.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old August 24, 2016   #112
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Well, where are we on this one? I guess that my answer is in the fact that yesterday I sent packages of seeds to be posted on the website. I think my writeup on it says it all. Other than the aroma of the foliage being somewhat stronger on the Hybrid, and my volunteer being larger, I can find no other difference. So, I am offering it out to the public. It should be on the website in a few days. It will be listed as "Big Orange Volunteer".

I hope you folks like it as much as I do.
Woohoo i will be looking for it to hit the site Ted. If you say it has the same flavor it must be true.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2016   #113
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Whether or not folks agree with me that it is very much like Sungold, It is still a great orange Cherry tomato. I don't want to make any false claims. But, I was in the garden this morning and munched of a few of each. Both are great and I couldn't make out any difference between them. other than one is larger than the other.

But, now it's time for you folks to test them. I want to hear your comments good and not so good, critical, and whatever else. You be the judge of what it is. If you like it, then I'm happy for you. If you don't like it, that's okay too.

I guess I just don't want your expectations to surpass the reality of what I'm offering. I don't want anyone to think badly of me.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old August 24, 2016   #114
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

How exciting!

Pardon my ignorance, but which website is it, Ted?

Quote:
I don't want anyone to think badly of me.
When I first read this, I thought it said: I don't want anyone to think blandly of me.

kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2016   #115
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

HeritageSeedMarket.com. The seeds are being worked right now to get them posted for sale. Give it a few of days. They'll be under the listings for Muddy Bucket Farm.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old August 25, 2016   #116
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am going to work on ESTERINA (F2)
Recently I bought some from farmers market and saved seeds from it.
Great taste, sweet , meaty, bigger than Sungold.
HTG knows a lot about it.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2016   #117
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

We have "OP" Sun Golds that pop up every year (at F9-F10 now) both in volunteers and from seed collected. We have two plants out of like maybe 40 this year that have that Sun Gold taste or near taste.

My issue with dehybridization is that the effort is by definition one that min-maxes a characteristic or set of characteristics, usually taste. You can get the smell right one year, but taste is off the next. Taste might be on the dot, but off another year, and that's putting aside how weather might affect flavor. Selecting can bring the taste pretty darn close, but not exact. The process though doesn't usually preserve the characteristic that truly makes a hybrid great: vigor; either in terms of disease resistance or productivity.

For a lot of people not living under disease or pest pressure, OP can often do nearly as good as hybrids, so there can be a lot of benefit for them. The cost for hybrid seed is relatively cheap all things considered, though, if vigor is a major issue, and it's not like hybrids operate in the same sphere of critique of monoculture that garner criticism. Also, it's not something I would slight a company over having a monopoly over.

If seed companies like Tokita would produce more all-star hybrids like Sun Gold where taste we value is as rated high as vigor, I think we'd see a lot more home growers picking up hybrids. Usually hybrids go the way of Big Beef or Celebrity, where vigor, speed of maturity, productivity, etc.. are perhaps higher traits than taste. Let's face it, no one talks about flavor first when it comes to hybrids... with the almost exclusive exception of a few of the cherries like Sun Gold, Sun Sugar, and now perhaps Esterina.

Last edited by Scooty; August 26, 2016 at 01:22 PM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2016   #118
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Whether or not folks agree with me that it is very much like Sungold, It is still a great orange Cherry tomato. I don't want to make any false claims. But, I was in the garden this morning and munched of a few of each. Both are great and I couldn't make out any difference between them. other than one is larger than the other.

But, now it's time for you folks to test them. I want to hear your comments good and not so good, critical, and whatever else. You be the judge of what it is. If you like it, then I'm happy for you. If you don't like it, that's okay too.

I guess I just don't want your expectations to surpass the reality of what I'm offering. I don't want anyone to think badly of me.
Me, I think it sounds like a good one. I'd like to pay attention and grow out both yours, the Big Orange Volunteer, and the Sungold both. I've never grown/eaten a Sungold, so it will be a new taste experience to me.

I was tickled to hear about the "Plan 9 From Outer Space" that you are growing because I used to just love that bad, bad cheesy movie!! I got seeds from Remy for it, I'll have to ask you about the taste after you eat it.
Old August 26, 2016   #119
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Me, I think it sounds like a good one. I'd like to pay attention and grow out both yours, the Big Orange Volunteer, and the Sungold both. I've never grown/eaten a Sungold, so it will be a new taste experience to me.

I was tickled to hear about the "Plan 9 From Outer Space" that you are growing because I used to just love that bad, bad cheesy movie!! I got seeds from Remy for it, I'll have to ask you about the taste after you eat it.
You should pick up a pack of Sun Golds at HEB or Albertsons. I've seen them there all the time. Speaking of which, I should go pick some Sun Golds right now....

Last edited by Scooty; August 26, 2016 at 02:56 PM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2016   #120
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Imp, grow them both. There are no disappointments in either. Grow the Sungold and Big Orange Voluneer and also grow the Plan 9 From Outer Space. Those cherry tomatoes have great staying power on the vine, so make sue you wait until they are a beautiful light orange color all over. Plan 9 will show stripes when green and then ripen to a deep yellow with red/pink stripes and some orange tinges. Taste is superb and it will put out a bunch of fruit.

Scooty, if you run out of Sungolds or my Big Orange Volunteer, come by the house and I'll let you pick a few gallons - no charge.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch