Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 8, 2015   #106
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Greyghost, my Daniels came from you, I sent out some BC but no Daniels.

What do you guys think of Richardson? I grew it this year ,and thought it was a very good BW type.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2015   #107
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Daniels is the nearest that also has decent production.
Quote:
Consider a tunnel to increase the heat. I've had customers report up to double the crop just from switching to a tunnel in a marginal cool climate. Please do get seed of Daniels and give it a try. It is far and away my best pink potato leaf for adverse climates.
Quote:
My original source of Daniels was Robbins Hail who sent it to me back in 2005. I grew it for several years and sold plants most of those years. I'm pretty sure that I eventually sent it to Glenn at Sandhill. He first listed it in 2014. He has the correct variety so should be a good source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Look no farther than Reisentraube then.
It is what you would expect a glass of tomato juice to taste like without all of the added salt and acid. . . .
I'm convinced. I put both Daniels and Reisentraube on my Sand Hill order.

Daniels to grow in the "really too long-season to grow here" section with Daniel Burson, Brandywine (original -- from seed that grew successfully within a few miles of here, though at a somewhat lower altitude, Sudduth's, Joyce's and Cowlick's), Orange Russian #117, original Russian #117, Bear Creek -- and depending on how space works out, some like Pappy Kerns, George Detsikas, Maiden's Gold/Pride/Fire, Sweet Ozark Orange and some of the Indian Stripes may get a spot both inside the "warmer" zone and in the regular garden for comparison.

The "warmer" zone is three rows just under 50' ea along the south side of the main veg garden where I have a frame that lets me set up a kind of plastic covered tunnel/greenhouse like protection with water bottles inside to help maintain heat and black landscape fabric on the ground -- same purpose. Not as strong or as tight as a regular greenhouse or tunnel, but it works pretty well to create an area with an extended and slightly warmer season -- high winds, heavy snows, and vile voles permitting.

So . . . perhaps . . . that will provide some sort of comparison of a number of other varieties to Sudduth's.

Or perhaps it will just create a lot of fat voles.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote