Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old June 23, 2013   #106
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
Mike quick question. I have a bunch of the stavros sweet peppers that have a ton of fruit on them. Almost all of them are dark green. I have one plant that they are all the typical light green/yellow pepperocini color. My question is what color would I pick them for pickling?
Hi,

You want to pick them when they turn yellow and start to pucker.

Regards,
Mike
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #107
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Kelly perhaps you haven't seen the thread where it was discussed that Siberian is not part of the name and Mike knows that as well but perhaps still hasn't changed the name at his website.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Rozovyi_Myod

I'm just trying to get everyone to use the right name for this variety.

Carolyn
Carolyn,

I kept the reference to "Siberian Pink Honey" so that people who grew it last year could find it again this year. The packaging and website have the correct name along with the aforementioned translation. I will be removing all references to the English translation this summer when I change over to my new seeds next month.

Regards,
Mike
Old September 3, 2013   #108
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

I have placed and received my first order form your company! Feels like the seeds shiped almost when I ordered them! I am excited because you had the quantities I needed at a reasonable cost. Can not wait to grow them next season! I am having to start over with all my seeds because they got lost in my move. I am glad I can spread the love around and get seeds from people on here.
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2013   #109
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
I have placed and received my first order form your company! Feels like the seeds shiped almost when I ordered them! I am excited because you had the quantities I needed at a reasonable cost. Can not wait to grow them next season! I am having to start over with all my seeds because they got lost in my move. I am glad I can spread the love around and get seeds from people on here.
Thanks, Kat. I really appreciate the order.

-Mike
Old September 4, 2013   #110
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the Rozovyi Myod seeds, I am certainly looking forward to trying these in the 2014 season. Your fair shipping costs to me as a Canadian customer are appreciated.

Best of luck with all of your 2013 Russian trial varieties and I am looking forward to seeing how they did for you.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2013   #111
Smithma
Tomatovillian™

I also just received my first order from your company, great prices and quantities.
Looking forward to my first experience with heirloom tomatoes
Mike
Smithma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2013   #112
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for having heirloom Cilantros Seeds? I order them from you. I am complete for 2014 season!!!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2013   #113
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Thank you for having heirloom Cilantros Seeds? I order them from you. I am complete for 2014 season!!!!
You are welcome, Mrs Justice!

-Mike
Old October 14, 2013   #114
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOhio View Post

-Mike
Thanks for the fast service.
Thank you so very much. I was hoping you can help me with two heirloom Brussels spout plants I received from students at William & Mary College in William while I was attending a Conference of my United Methodist Church to meet our Bishop, Youn Jim Cho. After the meeting students of William & Mary wanted to meet me. They gave me 2 Heirloom Brussels Plants to grown for the first time here at my Heirloom Farm called "Angel Field Heirloom Tomatoes". The 2 Plants very healthy an doing find. They are surround by Peppers Plants to protect them from insects and pest an growing purely organic. I see the little Brussels Sprouts growing on the side of the plants. Where are the seeds located on the plants? and How can I save the using pure organic historical methods like my Tomatoes Seeds?
Old October 14, 2013   #115
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

-Mike
I look at this forum and I can not find out any information about saving the seeds from the "Heirloom Brussels Spout Plant".
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=9971&page=7

Last edited by MrsJustice; October 15, 2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Dyslexia
Old October 16, 2013   #116
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Thanks for the fast service.
Thank you so very much. I was hoping you can help me with two heirloom Brussels spout plants I received from students at William & Mary College in William while I was attending a Conference of my United Methodist Church to meet our Bishop, Youn Jim Cho. After the meeting students of William & Mary wanted to meet me. They gave me 2 Heirloom Brussels Plants to grown for the first time here at my Heirloom Farm called "Angel Field Heirloom Tomatoes". The 2 Plants very healthy an doing find. They are surround by Peppers Plants to protect them from insects and pest an growing purely organic. I see the little Brussels Sprouts growing on the side of the plants. Where are the seeds located on the plants? and How can I save the using pure organic historical methods like my Tomatoes Seeds?
Hi Mrs Justice,

As you probably know, brussels sprouts are a biennial, so you will need to overwinter them to produce seeds.

I recommend harvesting no more than half of the sprouts, and leave the balance on the plant for the overwintering process. Next year the sprouts will begin to grow out into stalks that produce flowers. Once pollinated these flowers will produce seed pods. Once the pods have dried you will want to harvest them before they break open or "explode".

I'm interested to hear how you do with them. I have been told that it is difficult to get seed with fewer than 10 or 15 plants. They don't tend to be very fertile.

Also, they really need to be isolated from cabbage and other family members.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike
Old October 16, 2013   #117
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi Mrs Justice,

As you probably know, brussels sprouts are a biennial, so you will need to overwinter them to produce seeds.

I recommend harvesting no more than half of the sprouts, and leave the balance on the plant for the overwintering process. Next year the sprouts will begin to grow out into stalks that produce flowers. Once pollinated these flowers will produce seed pods. Once the pods have dried you will want to harvest them before they break open or "explode".

I'm interested to hear how you do with them. I have been told that it is difficult to get seed with fewer than 10 or 15 plants. They don't tend to be very fertile.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike
Thank you so very much. This will be my first "biennial vegetable" grown here on my Heirloom farm. I am excited about these 2 plants, but at the same time praying that I can keep these plants alive for I more year. It also explain why they survived the cold weather we had here April. I guess they will be my babies. They are protected by Hot Anaheim peppers which protected them from any pest. I guess I will used the seeds of the Anaheim peppers to keep any animals from eating them this winter. I avoided growing cabbage on my heirloom farm because they attack the same bad insects as Tomatoes both need different Organic methods to control pest naturally. So they are safe.

I will keep you posted; and bring all information to the Brussels sprouts forum. I just farmer to farmer Help; But we all are Farmers.

With only two plants, I will just taste 2 sprouts off the bottom and leaves every Brussels Sprout on the plant, because if I understand you are saying the flowers will branch out from each Brussels. I avoid eating meat so I will treat my 2 Brussels Sprouts from each plant like a steak.

Thanks

I am under biennial pressure!!!
Pray for me.
Old November 8, 2013   #118
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

I'd love to see a picture of that variety.

Thanks,
Mike
Old November 28, 2013   #119
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hi Mrs Justice,

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike
Hello Mike

I was shopping for thanksgiving dinner at Farm Fresh and found a brussels sprout PLANT COMPLETELY INTACT. I got very excited and almost fell-out. I have never seen the complete stock displaced before. I feel like a kid growning my first brussel sprout plants. This picture let's me know how my brussel sprout plants is going to look like next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thanksgiving Surprice.jpg (101.1 KB, 41 views)
Old December 17, 2013   #120
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

We have a 2014 Seed Catalog thread that is shown below the "sticky" threads. I have been unable to get anyone to un-stick this thread, and replace it with my 2014 thread.

Thanks,
Mike

Tags
mikeinohio , ohio heirloom seeds , rare tomato seeds