Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 10, 2016   #106
disneynut1977
Tomatovillian™

I have fruit set on at least a third of my plants. Can't wait to see how they turn out after seeing some of the others now other are getting. Very exciting
Old June 12, 2016   #107
charline
Tomatovillian™

a little update on my plants:

13x F3 1 2 dwarf not multiflora
12x F3 6 2 micros crazy multifloras !
13x F3 2 1 micro no flowers yet
13x F3 6 2 dwarf moderate multiflora

all are regular leaf
no fruit set yet
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2016   #108
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

In addition to the 11xF3 I got from Dan, I also got seeds from another cross he performed. He crossed a micro multi-flora dwarf andAmbrosia Orange UBX and it is identified as 19x.

I planted the 5 F1 seeds he sent and as of this morning 3 had germinated. I plan on raising one F1 in an admittedly undersized container to get F2 seed. I plan on starting a bunch of F2 seed this fall, going on a micro hunt and growing them either by my patio door and/or under lights this winter. I'll post updates here as the project progresses.

This cross has me excited because the Ambrosia Orange UBX tomato sounds pretty awesome, although I never have grown it (http://jandlgardens.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=363)
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2016   #109
mashermike
Tomatovillian™

Progress ... All plants are 77 days from sprouting under lights.

[13X-F3-2] Dwarf/micro (from 8-12") and multi flora (later blooming) and much less productive compared to 11X.

[11X-F3-2] I have several 11X (including 11/12X). They are dwarf generally between 18-24" tall, multi flora and have either pointed cherry sized fruit or slightly larger fruit that resemble Margret Curtain IMO.

[12X-F3-6] Dwarf (16-24") multi flora, tiny pointed fruit on the ones that set fruit so far.

Generally speaking in ground plants are shorter than the ones in pots. I plan on reporting on individual plants as fruit ripens.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13XF3-2.jpg (100.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg 13X-F3-2.jpg (58.7 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg 11X-F3-6.jpg (82.9 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg 11-12X-F3-2.jpg (50.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg 20160616_163955.jpg (33.6 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg 20160616_164040.jpg (41.9 KB, 202 views)
mashermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2016   #110
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashermike View Post
Progress ... All plants are 77 days from sprouting under lights.

[11X-F3-2] I have several 11X (including 11/12X). They are dwarf generally between 18-24" tall, multi flora and have either .... or slightly larger fruit that resemble Margret Curtain IMO.

Mike
That is one I am definitely interested in. I have been hoping to find a micro Margaret Curtain - albeit probably a smaller fruit. I hope it is black like Margaret. Please send me seed from that one regardless of the flavor - although nearly all I've grown have tasted good - some better than others, obviously.

You said that in ground plants are generally larger than those in pots. Are they all outdoors, or are those in pots under lights or indoors?
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2016   #111
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
I haven't had much to report until now. I have been having foliage disease on most of my tomatoes, and hadn't had ripe fruit until this last week. I picked a few fruit from the 13x line I was given, and finally got to try one today. I wasn't expecting much, so I didn't bother getting a picture. It is one of the best tomatoes I have ever eaten. Easily a 9.5 out of 10. It was sweet, with a richness that was surprising, and just a little tomato flavor. I am going to start giving this one special treatment to try to nurse more fruit out of it. It was nearly heart shaped, red-with purple shoulders. Here is a picture of an unripe fruit from the same plant, I will post a picture when it ripens. I saved seeds and have them fermenting now.
Thanks for posting. Please send me some seed from that 9.5.
Old June 18, 2016   #112
mashermike
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan:
You said that in ground plants are generally larger than those in pots. Are they all outdoors, or are those in pots under lights or indoors?
Everything is "outside" at this point. I start all seeds inside under a 400 metal halide. I plan on growing some over the winter inside and see how it goes.

Most of the plants are in the hoophouse. A few are in full sun.

Old June 18, 2016   #113
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

We got our first ripe 11xF3 from plant 4 yesterday. 21g elongated red cherry, with a subtle tip. Flavor was quite good but only being one tomato and sharing, I'll withhold ratings until we've had at least a few. Plant 5 is starting to blush. I'll also measure plant heights and report back. All 5 plants are similar height and are producing a nice number of fruits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (96.0 KB, 175 views)
Old June 18, 2016   #114
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Here it was on the plant with a couple ripening neighbors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (236.5 KB, 177 views)
Old June 18, 2016   #115
yardn_gardn
Tomatovillian™

Location: Central Idaho at 3200 elev. in zone 5b, maybe 100 frost free days

Would it be possible for my high school students and and I to grow some multifloras for you? We would grow them in our greenhouse. We do have a plant sale in the spring that we market to community members. We would be glad to save seed for you from the tomatoes before they leave the school. These multifloras look like what people will like for one-gallon containers.
Old June 19, 2016   #116
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfollett View Post
Thanks for posting. Please send me some seed from that 9.5.
I will definitely send you some seed. This plant was in a small pot and looked like it was finished. I repotted it in a 5-7 gallon grow bag, and it is gowing taller(probably around 24 inches now) and has several fruit set.
Old June 19, 2016   #117
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardn_gardn View Post
Would it be possible for my high school students and and I to grow some multifloras for you? We would grow them in our greenhouse. We do have a plant sale in the spring that we market to community members. We would be glad to save seed for you from the tomatoes before they leave the school. These multifloras look like what people will like for one-gallon containers.
I would be happy to send you some seed. You do realize that these are not stable and that we are growing lots hoping to find something exceptional in growth habit, production and flavor, don't you? Any other unique characteristic we find - different color, shape, etc. - is a bonus.

Hopefully, we will end up with several different varieties that folks can grow in small pots that are worth growing.

If you are teaching plant genetics, I could send you an F1 to grow or some F2 seeds. You could have them see the multiplicity of different growth characteristics that can come from a single cross of two different varieties, i.e., 1 in 4 potato leaf - 1 in 4 dwarf - 1 in 4 multiflora, etc.

Or I could send you some I have already selected that are micro multiflora and you could grow them looking for the best flavor and production. That is mostly what we have reported here so far.

However, I have more different crosses than I could possibly follow up on, so I'd be happy to let some others take a particular F1 cross, save their own F2 seed and do the micro hunt and the multiflora hunt themselves. It is actually quite interesting and fun to do.

PM me with additional information as to what you would like to do and we'll figure something out that will work.
Old June 20, 2016   #118
mashermike
Tomatovillian™

First 11X-F3-6 getting close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160620_11x-f3-6.jpg (134.1 KB, 145 views)
Old June 20, 2016   #119
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashermike View Post
First 11X-F3-6 getting close.
Oh wow!! Very nice, they look like mini beefsteaks!
Old June 21, 2016   #120
mashermike
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately this plant is in a bed that is infected with fusarium wilt. Eventually it will probably kill it. I intend to get seed early on this one.