Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 7, 2016   #1186
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Max, you can get about 50 seeds of SunGold ( they say 30 but its much more) from Tomato Growers Supply for around $3.50. Typically you get 100 % germination on them, and you only need just a few plants, really I find it to be just pennies. Why pricey?
I guess that's the first time I heard of that website. I did get full germination with the ones I ordered, although people were moving and knocking down my seed trays, flipped one upside and didn't even bothered picking up the mess, so a few were destroyed.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #1187
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
I guess that's the first time I heard of that website. I did get full germination with the ones I ordered, although people were moving and knocking down my seed trays, flipped one upside and didn't even bothered picking up the mess, so a few were destroyed.
Sorry to hear that. If you have seeds left, keep them in a cool dry place and they will last for years.
Warning about TGS- don't go there if your cash is low, their selection is outstanding, and hard to resist.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2016   #1188
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Max, you can get about 50 seeds of SunGold ( they say 30 but its much more) from Tomato Growers Supply for around $3.50. Typically you get 100 % germination on them, and you only need just a few plants, really I find it to be just pennies. Why pricey?
They are also available here at Tville if you participate in the 2016 MMMM. You just request them and send in $1 with your wish list and you will get your seeds.
Old June 12, 2016   #1189
JaxRmrJmr
Tomatovillian™

My Pink Brandywine started off slow (I posted about the the low setting rates), but I have had more tomatoes from those two plants than I could eat. It is still setting fruit even though we have been in the 90's for a couple weeks. They are getting smaller when they ripen, but I have been very impressed. It is PL and I have had next to no problems with it compared to the RL's I planted.

I want to pull it and make way for the fall plants, but it is just chugging along too well for me do. If I lower it a few more times the stalk will be on the ground.

Should I just start rooting a few suckers and replant it in the parent's place?
JaxRmrJmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #1190
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRmrJmr View Post
My Pink Brandywine started off slow (I posted about the the low setting rates), but I have had more tomatoes from those two plants than I could eat. It is still setting fruit even though we have been in the 90's for a couple weeks. They are getting smaller when they ripen, but I have been very impressed. It is PL and I have had next to no problems with it compared to the RL's I planted.

I want to pull it and make way for the fall plants, but it is just chugging along too well for me do. If I lower it a few more times the stalk will be on the ground.

Should I just start rooting a few suckers and replant it in the parent's place?
You have nothing to lose with cloning it. Unbelievable that you are still having fruit set. Our nights have been up to 80 which is hotter than August/September.

I'm in process of pulling all my tomato plants. Peppers are still producing really well.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #1191
alexita
Tomatovillian™

My friend in Jax grew beefsteaks all summer with no issues, too. I think the slightly cooler night temps are all it takes.

Here, I'm also in the middle of pulling up maters. I've only let them go on this far since I started so late, and they exceeded my expectations, but it's sad to see everything winding down. One of my plants got tomato spotted wilt virus, which I'd never dealt with before, but my only significant issues were tomato yellow leaf curl virus and russet mites.

Most of my tomatoes are planted along a southern-facing wall, so they're not even getting direct sun anymore. Whomp whomp. And those are all infected with TYLCV. I'm still waiting for a lot of fruit to ripen, and Heidi and Riesentraube are hardly showing signs of infection. Yellow pear look the most affected by TYLCV, but unlike the others they're still happily setting fruit.

Time for me to start focusing on that soil, anyway!
alexita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2016   #1192
alexita
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkplatypus View Post
Unrelated question... What is this? Reddish brown centipede thing. Miami soil. Good or bad?
I'm by North Miami too and my soil is also full of those red millipedes (I think they are rusty millipedes). I toss the ones I find into the lawn, but I doubt it makes a difference. Next time I'll toss them into my compost bin.
alexita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #1193
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Here's a couple of pics from my test cucumber plants to see if they will produce fruit over the summer. Daytime temp highs are typically 83-87, a few 90 days.
Night time low temps have been 74-80. Everynight these plants are covered in tulle (moth/worms)

If I had to do it again, I would use Sweet Success cucumber seeds because they self-pollinate.

Cukes are really healthy plants; 2 seeds in the EB, 1 seed in the RP., able to withstand full sun, lots of flowers hidden behind those leaves. Mostly male flowers but some females. The other day I decided I to take things in my own hands and try pollinating them. I had also brought out the vegibee; plant was to take some male flowers off the plant and get the pollen in the black spoon and go from there.

As soon as I started the Vegibee, a real bee arrive so I let him/her take it from there.

---
Also started solarizing: If you think others would be interested, I could post on that old thread.

----
Most tomato plants are been taken down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cuke Plant RP (300x400).jpg (67.8 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Cuke plant EB (400x300).jpg (68.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Solarize.jpg (71.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg Solarize closeup (400x300).jpg (48.8 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Barb_FL; June 20, 2016 at 02:18 PM.
Old June 20, 2016   #1194
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb, your cucumber plants look so healthy! My neighbors said they have taken care of the plants i left in Florida and they have all been picking tomatoes and enjoying them still.

My Philly plants are growing like crazy. Some I dont think are getting enough sun but some are in a good sunny spot so we will see what happens. Im going to start my pepper plants for fall withinin the next few weeks and start my baby tomato plants at the end of july and bring them back with me for fall (I hope).

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #1195
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

"Also started solarizing: If you think others would be interested, I could post on that old thread."
Barb,
If you post it and I can find it, I would be interested in reading it.
Thanks
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2016   #1196
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry - bumped the solarizing thread.

Ginny - Unless you are afraid the peppers would get too large by October, (could always top them) I don't see why you couldn't start the seeds now. I don't think it gets too hot for peppers. Mine are still setting fruit. I have young plants too, some are still seedlings.

All I basically have is those 2 cucumber plants, pepper plants, blueberry plants,

Pineapple plants which I do nothing, and Mango trees which I do nothing but wait.

----
Marsha - How are your mangos doing? Any ripe fruit yet? My Kent tree (4th summer) has about 40...hard to count. 3 times as many as last year. Most have the final pink color, size but hard as rocks....I'm keeping them on the tree.

My other first time producing tree (5th summer) mangos are small.
Old June 24, 2016   #1197
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I know several of us love Shi★★★★o peppers blistered while they are still green which is how you usually see them. I had given some plants to a friend and she got distracted and let some them get red before cooking. She told they were really good that way. I let a few get red and cooked both red and green ones at the same. The red ones are much sweeter but a still really good. Having the combination of red and green plated looked really good and it interesting to be able to do a side by side taste test.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2016   #1198
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Larry - bumped the solarizing thread.

Ginny - Unless you are afraid the peppers would get too large by October, (could always top them) I don't see why you couldn't start the seeds now. I don't think it gets too hot for peppers. Mine are still setting fruit. I have young plants too, some are still seedlings.

All I basically have is those 2 cucumber plants, pepper plants, blueberry plants,

Pineapple plants which I do nothing, and Mango trees which I do nothing but wait.

----
Marsha - How are your mangos doing? Any ripe fruit yet? My Kent tree (4th summer) has about 40...hard to count. 3 times as many as last year. Most have the final pink color, size but hard as rocks....I'm keeping them on the tree.

My other first time producing tree (5th summer) mangos are small.
So sorry Barb, I just saw this. With my Kent, they never really get that yellow orange color, they just get yellower and soften a good bit. I start to pick them when they are getting a decent size, so I am picking some now. I scrub the skin with soap and the scruffy part of a dish sponge, then I dry, then I actually spray the outside with Lysol Spray. This kills any anthracnose fungus and allows them to ripen without rotting. Lysol's active ingredient is ethanol, that's the same thing as the alcohol we drink, plus some scent chems. The mango skin is really thick, so that is completely cut off when they are ripe.
I put them in a paper bag closed up and it speeds the ripening. The orders are coming in already from my friends for dehydrated Mango. LOL.
Bad photo, but you can see how loaded the tree is this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (382.4 KB, 42 views)
Old June 24, 2016   #1199
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Marsha, beautiful Mango tree. My son would love it. How old is that tree?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2016   #1200
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Marsha, beautiful Mango tree. My son would love it. How old is that tree?
Thank you, Ella. It is 22 years old. It was about 40' high last year, so we trimmed it back. Last year only about 50 mangoes, but look at it go this year.