Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 27, 2016   #1216
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Ginny - your plants look awesome. My eyes were bugging out seeing those plants before knowing it was you posting.

I'm sure 22 plants even with sharing will give you tons of tomatoes for eating, sauce. When you think of it, 22 really is a lot of plants.
Barb,

Thank you! I think 11 of them probably wont produce much because they only get 2 hours of direct sun and then sparkly sun through the leaf canopies the rest of the time. But 11 plants should be plenty anyways (hopefully). The ones in the pots are all heart types so they have those wispy wimpy looking leaves which dont photograph too well but they are all doing well. Havent had any leaf issues yet, knock on wood.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #1217
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Ginny, I do love that pepper. it has become my new favorite pepper. I like it so much that in addition to the 6 growing outside I have three growing inside under grow lights. I was growing too many varieties to save pure seeds from the ones outside. The gallon pots were too small but I did not want 3 gallon pots because of the height. I found these blue tubs at Dollar Tree that are shorter and 2 1/2 gallon. After drilling a few holes that work great. I don't know why the picture of the plant turned sideways because it was just like the others when I uploaded it. I also included a picture of the Salsa Morada.

Your garden looks great. I have to admire your tenacity to manage to have a garden going in a temporary home.
Kay

That purple pippen is gorgeous!! I love it and cant wait to grow it and try it. I have to say that everyone on this thread is an inspiration to me in different ways and you inspire me to grow more pepper plants and try making new herb and pepper salts and pepper sauces and cold smoking and smoking tomatoes etc. And my neighbors are getting into it also. One neighbor harvested a whole gallon bag of datil peppers from my plant and froze them so we can make some datil pepper sauce when i get back.

Having a garden makes me so happy. I didnt have one in Kansas Ciyy last summer so this summer I tried specifically to get us a place where we could grow something... :-)

Ginny
Old June 27, 2016   #1218
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Here's the Arvarski peppers I picked yesterday. They have really broad tops; that is a dinner plate for perspective. Will be eating tonight and report back.

If anyone wants seeds, let me know.

Kay - The Abino Bullnose is about 3-4" tall and I'm seeing the formation of buds. Plant is probably the right age for buds but had all leaves eaten off by catepillars.

For those interested, I also have a thread in the photo area with lots of cucumber detail.http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...852#post572852
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AJVARSKI (400x300).jpg (38.0 KB, 45 views)
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #1219
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Here's the Arvarski peppers I picked yesterday. They have really broad tops; that is a dinner plate for perspective. Will be eating tonight and report back.

If anyone wants seeds, let me know.

Kay - The Abino Bullnose is about 3-4" tall and I'm seeing the formation of buds. Plant is probably the right age for buds but had all leaves eaten off by catepillars.

For those interested, I also have a thread in the photo area with lots of cucumber detail.http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...852#post572852
Barb - those are huge! Are they multi colored? Mild/hot? Looking forward to the report... :-)

Ginny
Old June 27, 2016   #1220
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Barb, I only have one pepper on my Ajvarski but I started it late. I look forward to seeing what you think of the taste. The Albino Bullnose sets it peppers pointing upward which is unusual for a bell. It does not get very big but it is really tasty if you let it ripen to orange.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #1221
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Who has planned out their fall tomatoes?

I sort of have but I'm sure it will change. These are plants for me and my neighbors... :-)

Grightmire's Pride
PBTD
Rebel Yell
Dixiewine
Neves Azorean Red
Marnar
Wes
Brads Black Heart
Sgt Peppers
Prue
Orange Minsk Heart
Black Cherry
Marnar
Purple Dog Creek
Indigo Cherry Drops
Cherokee Black Heart
A mini PBTD type - round ping pong ball sized striped (saved seed from a plant that resulted from an unstable packet of Brad Gates Small Mix seeds)
Pink Brandywine - Sudduth
Pink Brandywine - Glicks

Ginny
Old June 27, 2016   #1222
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, this is very impressive list.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #1223
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Ginny, this is very impressive list.

Thank you Ella... :-) I think its a more balanced mix of red and pink, beefsteaks and hearts and a few purples and cherry types than what I usually grow. Something for everyone. I am usually more heavy on the purples and stripes. My favorite part other than watching them grow is sharing them with all the neighbors. So far most of them ooh and ahh appropriately over all the tomatoes which makes it fun. Maybe when they get burned out on them it wont be as fun... :-)

Ginny
Old June 27, 2016   #1224
Okami0731
Tomatovillian™

Mountain Gold
Cherokee Purple
Cherokee Green
Black Cherry
Brandywine
Cherokee Chocolate
Lillian's Yellow Heirloom
Lucky Cross
Okami0731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #1225
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Okami,

You are in the middle of tomato farm country... :-) Have you grown Brandywine before?

Ginny
Old June 27, 2016   #1226
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Who has planned out their fall tomatoes?

I sort of have but I'm sure it will change. These are plants for me and my neighbors... :-)

Grightmire's Pride
PBTD
Rebel Yell
Dixiewine
Neves Azorean Red
Marnar
Wes
Brads Black Heart
Sgt Peppers
Prue
Orange Minsk Heart
Black Cherry
Marnar
Purple Dog Creek
Indigo Cherry Drops
Cherokee Black Heart
A mini PBTD type - round ping pong ball sized striped (saved seed from a plant that resulted from an unstable packet of Brad Gates Small Mix seeds)
Pink Brandywine - Sudduth
Pink Brandywine - Glicks

Ginny
Love the list Ginny. Where's Girl Girl?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #1227
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami0731 View Post
Mountain Gold
Cherokee Purple
Cherokee Green
Black Cherry
Brandywine
Cherokee Chocolate
Lillian's Yellow Heirloom
Lucky Cross
Very nice list Okami. Glad to see you posting here too. Which Brandywine?
Old June 27, 2016   #1228
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Love the list Ginny. Where's Girl Girl?
To me PBTD and GGWT are very similar (but not the same) and PBTD is earlier and just as productive so I'm going with PBTD instead of both since I want to grow more reds, pinks, and hearts this time... :-)

I can't wait to see your list. It's always full of so many new and interesting ones.

Ginny
Old June 27, 2016   #1229
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

*BHN1021 F1
Bloody Butcher OP
Brandywine Cherry Dark, OP
Bush Early Girl F1
Champion II F1
*Esterina Cherry F1
First Prize F1
Fourth of July F1
Granadero F1
*Grandma Picks Hybrid F1
Jetsetter F1
*Skyway 687 F1
Tomande F1
*Tycoon F1

* my first attempt to grow these varieties

From my experience here, if they do fair to good in the fall season they will do good to very good in the spring.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #1230
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

That is a lot of hybrids, Larry. I hope they do well for you. Did you get mostly hybrids because of nematode resistance?