Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 30, 2016   #1276
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Around me there are tens of miles of water and cities. No farms around. I had 2 containers with potatoes at the beginning of a season. Few days ago found couple Colorado potato beetle on it. Go figure.
The Nazis got the wild idea of bombing England's farms with potato beetles.
The idiots tested it out on their own fields first.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #1277
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Ginny, I did pull all the kale and put it in black plastic bags sealed tight. Non of my organic sprays did anything to control them. I started new kale and collards and have those growing now and so far no problems. Since I make so many green smoothies for breakfast I try to have greens growing all year. But if the white flies return I will pull them up.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #1278
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Larry, did you have any tomatoes with dark and light green swirly patterns and stunted growth, that just quit producing? If not, you might not have a whitefly problem. Look at the underside of tomato, pepper, and brassica leaves, if you see very tiny white insects, or not quite so tiny white clusters, or if your broccolis have silvering color on the leaves, or if you see tiny black flies on your sticky traps, then that's whiteflies.
They have gotten much better in the last 3 years down here( ground central for them).
Whiteflies are basically aphids with wings.
There are 34 varieties of whiteflies in S. FL.
The MGs say that now predators have found them to be good to eat.
I looked at some images online and I'm all but sure I don't have a white fly or stink bug problem. The insects that I find most annoying are ants. They quickly find their way into any cracked tomato, therefore, I try not to grow varieties prone to cracking.
Other than that I'm not sure what can be done with them other than tolerate them.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #1279
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Around me there are tens of miles of water and cities. No farms around. I had 2 containers with potatoes at the beginning of a season. Few days ago found couple Colorado potato beetle on it. Go figure.
Yes and those beetles said "whew! thank goodness we finally found some food in this concrete jungle... :-)"

Amazing how they show up from out of nowhere. We stopped by the community garden near us one day a few weeks ago and they said they were infested with potato beetles there.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #1280
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
I looked at some images online and I'm all but sure I don't have a white fly or stink bug problem. The insects that I find most annoying are ants. They quickly find their way into any cracked tomato, therefore, I try not to grow varieties prone to cracking.
Other than that I'm not sure what can be done with them other than tolerate them.
Larry
I use this information:
"Diatomaceous Earth (often referred to as "DE") is an off white talc-like powder that is the fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton. When sprinkled on a bug that has an exoskeleton (such as bed bugs, ants or fleas) it compromises their waxy coating so that their innards turn into teeny tiny bug jerky. But it doesn't hurt mammals. We can eat it. We do eat it! It's in lots of grain based foods because lots of grains are stored with diatomaceous earth to keep the bugs from eating the grain!"

It does not kill them all but deter them. I have ants attacking my cucumbers and zucchinis this year. I sprinkle DE powder around plants, some bottom of leaves and stems, but not around flowers. I have ants that farm aphids. They are real pain in a b..

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #1281
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
The Nazis got the wild idea of bombing England's farms with potato beetles.
The idiots tested it out on their own fields first.

Worth
Worth you always share such interesting facts! I think you would do very well on Jeopardy... :-)

Ginny
Old June 30, 2016   #1282
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I use this information:
"Diatomaceous Earth (often referred to as "DE") is an off white talc-like powder that is the fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton. When sprinkled on a bug that has an exoskeleton (such as bed bugs, ants or fleas) it compromises their waxy coating so that their innards turn into teeny tiny bug jerky. But it doesn't hurt mammals. We can eat it. We do eat it! It's in lots of grain based foods because lots of grains are stored with diatomaceous earth to keep the bugs from eating the grain!"

It does not kill them all but deter them. I have ants attacking my cucumbers and zucchinis this year. I sprinkle DE powder around plants, some bottom of leaves and stems, but not around flowers. I have ants that farm aphids. They are real pain in a b..
Ants around cucumbers are not a good sign; look for a tiny hole in a cucumber / or frass on leaves. I judge the health of my cucumber plants on level of ants. Zero ants usually mean healthy plants and a lot of fruit.

I gave up on zucchini several years ago. Same with Melon.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #1283
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Ants around cucumbers are not a good sign; look for a tiny hole in a cucumber / or frass on leaves. I judge the health of my cucumber plants on level of ants. Zero ants usually mean healthy plants and a lot of fruit.

I gave up on zucchini several years ago. Same with Melon.
I am using DE weekly. Will post how it works.

Old July 3, 2016   #1284
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Pulled the last of my tomato plants today. Just toooo hot and with the rainy season the plants just keel over and basically rot - fungus is a problem this time of year. It's been over 90 out for weeks now and the fruit just won't ripen. Pulled the last few and ripening indoors.

Pepper plants coming back from an 'attack' by something. Went out one morning and the leaves from all but one plant were gone - not scattered on the ground or anything, just gone! Baby leaves coming out so maybe they will bounce back.

Funny part, haven't seen even one bug in my garden this year. Maybe these temps this year are too hot for them too lol!
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2016   #1285
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hi Goldie,

Are you in north, central or South Florida? My plants are being pulled this week also. I'm away but I'm paying the maintenance guy where I live to pull the plants and wrap the earthboxes and swcs in clear plastic bags to solarize them.

Ginny
Old July 3, 2016   #1286
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Goldie - I've had pepper plants stripped of all it's leaves and come back and produce a lot.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2016   #1287
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Hi Goldie,

Are you in north, central or South Florida? My plants are being pulled this week also. I'm away but I'm paying the maintenance guy where I live to pull the plants and wrap the earthboxes and swcs in clear plastic bags to solarize them.

Ginny
We're west central about ten miles from the Gulf.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2016   #1288
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying to see what if anything I can get to grow during the hottest part of the summer. I planted a 16' double row of Pinkeye Purple Hull Cowpeas yesterday. I also planted some Tatsoi seeds. Tatsoi is said to be similar to Bok Choy but shorter. Third, I planted some Astro Arugula seeds, which is probably a long shot. I have another variety which may be more heat resistant. Now I'm hoping something comes up.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2016   #1289
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Have anyone tried growing zucchini during the summer? How about watermelon?

Old July 5, 2016   #1290
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Have anyone tried growing zucchini during the summer? How about watermelon?
Yes. I grew some zucchini for the first time and had some massive plants, and neglected to spray it or apply any DE, so the cucumber moth caterpillars ate them all. I'll grow them again in spring instead. I have one in container which may be easier to manage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160614_190303.jpg (340.5 KB, 26 views)
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote