Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 26, 2016   #121
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Imp, grow them both. There are no disappointments in either. Grow the Sungold and Big Orange Voluneer and also grow the Plan 9 From Outer Space. Those cherry tomatoes have great staying power on the vine, so make sue you wait until they are a beautiful light orange color all over. Plan 9 will show stripes when green and then ripen to a deep yellow with red/pink stripes and some orange tinges. Taste is superb and it will put out a bunch of fruit.

Scooty, if you run out of Sungolds or my Big Orange Volunteer, come by the house and I'll let you pick a few gallons - no charge.
TYVM for the offer! The Sun Gold volunteers are keeping me busy this year along with the dozen or so grafting experiments. So much bleh to taste through to find a decent one OP Sun Gold. It's like this every year. The good thing about your seed is that you've done all that work for others.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2016   #122
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Scooty. The thing that I'm most proud of is that the one I found is a bit larger than the Hybrid. More of the good flavor in each cherry tomato. And, BTW, I just checked and they are up on the website and available to any who want them. HeritageSeedMarket.com.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2016   #123
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Thanks, Scooty. The thing that I'm most proud of is that the one I found is a bit larger than the Hybrid. More of the good flavor in each cherry tomato. And, BTW, I just checked and they are up on the website and available to any who want them. HeritageSeedMarket.com.
We have something similar but it didn't come from selecting, rather it came from a cross of what was originally Golden Jubilee x with either sun gold or sun sugar or possibly both. If I get a chance next year, I might try to grow yours side by side and compare the diff.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #124
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Just bought mine Ted. Now im waiting by the mailbox. Thanks again.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #125
kchd..
Tomatovillian™

Lol, I bought a pack of seeds yesterday right after lunch 0.o
kchd.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #126
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just curious but it's been a long time since anyone has rerported volunteers from F1Sun Gold that have red cherries.

The flat truss trait is from S.pimpinellifloium so is bred into almost all flat truss varieties. And occurs naturally in many OP heirloom cherries.

Yes,pimps are red,so how does one end up with a final F1 that is gold/yellow,as in F1 Sun Gold.

Only Tokita knows and they aren't sharing since they have a GOLDmine with the F1

It's also known that the gene for the aroma of the foliage that many say they can smell is linked to the taste of the F1. As far as I know the only person who worked with that was Keith Mueller, an outstanding breeder,who had something he called Sun Lucky, but I don't know what happened to that either.

And then you've got Reinhard Kraft in Germany who still is not satisfied,completely,with his 3 released OP Sungolds.seeds for the F1 in Europe are very expensive so I bought several packs of the F1 and sent them to him.He's still working on the Sun Gold problem, but more recently has been doing lots of work breeding anthos.

Ah, sweet mystery of life I still haven't found you.

Carolyn
Old August 27, 2016   #127
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Funny you should say that Carolyn because, along with my gold Sungold volunteer, there is also a red one, and I noticed today that it had green, orange and red fruit on the truss so presumably, it goes through all three colours before turning red. It's in a bit of a waste area so I haven't really studied it before today, just wanted to pick anything ripe before devil dog helped herself.....

It tastes good, but not as good as the gold one. I wonder if I should save seeds?
Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2016   #128
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Funny you should say that Carolyn because, along with my gold Sungold volunteer, there is also a red one, and I noticed today that it had green, orange and red fruit on the truss so presumably, it goes through all three colours before turning red. It's in a bit of a waste area so I haven't really studied it before today, just wanted to pick anything ripe before devil dog helped herself.....

It tastes good, but not as good as the gold one. I wonder if I should save seeds?
Linda
Linda,in the past I've had my share of red fruited Sungold volunteers and they have always ripened up red,no other colors.

The only variety that I know that has different colored fruits on the same plant at the same time is Lutescent,nee HonorBright.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Lutescent

Carolyn
Old August 27, 2016   #129
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, three years ago, I had a plant that was a sungold volunteer and it started out having gold colored fruit. Then at about mid year, it threw some pinkish redish fruit on one stem. This lasted for about three or four weeks and the plant never repeated. I didn't pursue them because everyone was negative about the red fruit from volunteers. Besides, they were true spitters. I really thought it was weird having both the gold and the red color at the same time on the same plant. But I had too many dwarf plants to worry about to pursue something that didn't taste good. I do remember that I saved seed from another plant that year - the one closest to the original spot in the garden.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2016   #130
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Just curious but it's been a long time since anyone has reported volunteers from F1Sun Gold that have red cherries.
I grew around 48 Sungold F2 plants this summer, on purpose. There are red fruits on some plants. I haven't done an exact count, but seems like about 10%.

My nose certainly isn't fine tuned enough to be chasing the aroma of leaves!!!! I'm looking for other traits like exerted stigmas, and frost/cold tolerance.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2016   #131
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

I bought my BOV seeds tonight, and some peardrops as well. Just what I needed, more seeds!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #132
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I ordered Big Orange Volunteer today, and will be planting it beside Sun Gold for comparison.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #133
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Doh! I forgot about this tomato and want to grow it, but I've already settled on my 2017 grow list. Steve, I look forward to your results and will likely grow BOV in the future!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote