Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 29, 2009   #1
matoman
Tomatovillian™

Default Help with this problem please...

I have had this same problem for the past 3 years....I have looked at the sticky's CMV and V, F, N, T info...I think I have ruled out CMV and the V and T based on the way the leaves look.

The plant goes from being the absolute picture of health to having a branch or a top wilt like a limp noodle. I did not plant in the exact same spot as last year but the neighbors along the same row are having the issue this year.

I have had this problem in the general area for the past three years with Heirlooms and Hybrid varieties. This years examples....One of my Cherokee Purples looked perfect 3 days ago(3 feet tall and strong), 2 days ago I noticed a wilted branch toward the plant bottom and Today some major wilt with one of the top stems ( This will continue until the whole plant wilts) Yesterday the CP's neighbor a Large Cherry looked great...today it looks aweful ( top and bottom branches wilting). We had heavy rain yesterday in NC and plenty this year so it is not a lack of water. I have attached pictures of the CP one close up and one showing the good leaves on the backside of the plant. The third pic is the Large Cherry.

I remember reading somewhere of a probelm that prevents the plant from delivering water up the stem but I'm not sure what that is or what causes it. I just want to get a name on this problem so I can start the prevention process.

Any help/advice anyone could offer would be great...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP1.jpg (228.2 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg CP2.jpg (303.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg LC.jpg (292.9 KB, 66 views)
matoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009   #2
matoman
Tomatovillian™

Here's some further details I forgot about from last year. For the first few days of this affliction the wilted branches/stems will come back to life in the cooler night temps. But the next day when the hot sun hits the wilt is back and gets progressively worse.
matoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009   #3
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0797/

See if you match your symptoms here.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

matoman,

Have you done the bacterial wilt test in a glass of water?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I would seriously start thinking about growing your tomatoes in containers. Ami
Old May 30, 2009   #6
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I have not seen this behavior in many varieites but I have a Green Doctors that acts about the same way. But I think my problem is due soley from warm temps. Have the temps been hot? Your plants look green and healthy other than being a little wilty. Bottom line is.... your in the ground and established, so you might just wanna wait and see what happens. Good luck.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2009   #7
dice
Tomatovillian™

List of tomato diseases, including various wilting diseases:

http://www.ppath.cas.psu.edu/EXTENSI.../tomatodis.htm

Root knot nematodes can do this, too. The plant wilts because
the root system simply cannot deliver enough water in hot
weather. It may seem to recover for a short time with watering,
but it is basically doomed.
Old June 6, 2009   #8
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

It sounds and looks like bacterial wilt. I have had that happen twice (fortunately only one plant each time). Except in my instance virtually the whole plant would swoon in the sun, and then it would recover in the cool night. I pulled it out both times it happened and didn't plant in the same spot again the following year.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2009   #9
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Columbia, SC. has the same vices and varmints, I believe That you have in Charlotte, NC.
Often, early in the season, one or two plants will wilt as you've described. It's neighbors are stylin' but it's folding.
I used to try trimming, feeding, mulching. watering, not watering, all to no avail.
It's early in the season, just pull it and replant. Good luck!!
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2009   #10
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Hi,
What is the bacterial wilt test in water?
Old June 13, 2009   #11
Liz
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Blueaussie
This was a great link for the wilts; no wonder some of our tomatoes wilt in the SE. I'm wilting too.
Old June 14, 2009   #12
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
Thanks, Blueaussie
This was a great link for the wilts; no wonder some of our tomatoes wilt in the SE. I'm wilting too.

Yeah, the heat and humidity struck hard and early this year. I yanked up the last of my Mexico tomatoes yesterday, I suspect it's early blight, but whatever it is was eating them up.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote