Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 18, 2022   #1
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Default bacterial leaf spot-resistant varieties?

I was wondering if anyone could suggest open-pollinated/heirloom varieties that are resistant to bacterial (Xanthomonas) bacterial leaf spot? A friend asked me, and I did find a list from Cornell University that lists only one non-hybrid as resistant (Costoluto Genovese). I would think that there are others so am asking here. Thanks!
DK2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2022   #2
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Hello Dk2021
Like my Great Grandfather who farmed with Shepard Mallory here in front of Fort Monroe, they used Native American Farming Secrets. I have traveled all over the United States to meet with them. They are very educated using generational growth in the young children of each Native Americans Community. Their young children who are interested in farming like me as a child, learn this very day of their ancient farming skills. Yes, society does not give them financial benefits for their God Given Skills with large companies making money off their secrets with no financial benefits coming back to them. That's why we need Native Americans Doctors to help us with the Climate Changes and ways of filling with Covid. As they will tell you {As they told me} making any Heirloom/Historical Plant resistant to any bacteria and your Xanthomonas Bacterial Leaf sporting; can only be controlled by the health of your soil. Amen!!
I wish I could tell you, but that is the farming secrets I traveled around the United States for to complete my Contraband Slaves Research at Fort Monroe.

I also used their community Data System to protect my family from Covid and to understand who was affected and how to deal with the static of that Data. I would visit a Native American Tribe in your area to learn about your particular soil situation and see if you can get some Farming Secrets. They are a little guarded as people try to pretend to be Native Americans to get their Funding and Grants Opportunities as I look for the Kecoughtan Native Americans who also helped my Great Grandfather during the Civil War in front of Forth Monroe.

This is information from Google also shows "no bacterial varieties".

Know the Diseases That Can Damage Yields?

Identify and Manage Leaf Diseases.

Manage Common Diseases Like Leaf Spot and Protect Your Crops.

These Solutions is not Natural for any uses of my Angel Field Heirloom Farms
Services: Herbicides, Fungicides, Insecticides or not Natural Products.

There are presently no tomato varieties resistant to Septoria leaf spot. A few tomato varieties are reported to be tolerant to early blight, but they have not proven to perform well. It may be necessary to treat tomatoes with protectant fungicides to control Septoria and early blight. "But Not for my Mini Farms" because of Un-Natural Products.

Farmer, Joyce Beggs
Angel Field Heirloom Tomatoes
angelfieldfarms.com

Last edited by MrsJustice; February 18, 2022 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Dyslexia
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2022   #3
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Hi MrsJustice, thanks for your input. I have not had issues with bacterial leaf spot nor with septoria. I have good soil that is amended a couple times a year with additional compost or Sweet Peet as mulch/compost, and prune my tomatoes fairly aggressively to help avoid disease. My friend who has the bacterial leaf spot problem is limited to growing in a community garden in the Boston area. My advise to her is to plant a variety with known resistance and/or to grow in containers.
The Cornell listing is here: https://www.vegetables.cornell.edu/p...ato-varieties/
There are varieties listed as resistant to Septoria, including at least one that comes from Cornell's breeding (Brandywise). But Septoria is not the problem that my friend is dealing with in her garden.
As an aside, just because something is natural does not mean it is not toxic or dangerous. Some of the most scarily toxic compounds that I have ever dealt with as a PhD natural products chemist were natural products that I isolated from wild (and presumably "organic", in the gardening sense) sources.
Old February 18, 2022   #4
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Where exactly does your friend garden? I ask because there are a couple of varieties released in Hawaii that were selected for some bacterial spot tolerance. There was also some work done in Florida to select for multi-race resistance. A quick google search showed this document which summarizes a lot of the work in Hawaii. https://gms.ctahr.hawaii.edu/gs/hand...6996&dt=3&g=12

Caution that there are multiple different bacterial groups that cause common symptoms on tomato and there are several races within some groups.

I've grown Anahu and Kewalo though these are older open pollinated lines that may not be suitable for your friend's purposes.

Thank you for your perspective on "natural" substances. We sometimes forget that arsenic, botulinen, pyrethrum, etc are "natural" substances, but very very deadly if misused.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2022   #5
DK2021
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Where exactly does your friend garden? I ask because there are a couple of varieties released in Hawaii that were selected for some bacterial spot tolerance. There was also some work done in Florida to select for multi-race resistance. A quick google search showed this document which summarizes a lot of the work in Hawaii. https://gms.ctahr.hawaii.edu/gs/hand...6996&dt=3&g=12

Caution that there are multiple different bacterial groups that cause common symptoms on tomato and there are several races within some groups.

I've grown Anahu and Kewalo though these are older open pollinated lines that may not be suitable for your friend's purposes.

Thank you for your perspective on "natural" substances. We sometimes forget that arsenic, botulinen, pyrethrum, etc are "natural" substances, but very very deadly if misused.
She is in the Boston, MA area. I haven't heard back yet from her whether she can perhaps change to a different plot in the community garden, but even if she could I suspect there is Xanthomonas throughout the garden. I've suggested that she try growing in containers.

Thanks for the information around the warm-climate varieties. I'm from Southern CA so New England summers feel near-tropical to me with the heat/humidity that's typical here. Oh, and I lived a few years in Hawaii so I do know what tropical is like! Anyway, I think I have seed for Kewalo and I could send her that to try out.
Yes, I shake my head when I see well-meaning persons misunderstand what "natural" entails...like a friend who assured me that she didn't need to inform her physician who had prescribed a conventional drug that she was ALSO taking a TCM herbal remedy, because the TCM herb was "organic" and "natural". Well, as it turned out, the TCM herb was a cytochrome P450 inhibitor, which meant that if taken together with the antibiotic, the conventional drug would reach unsafe levels in her bloodstream. The reason medicinal plants have an effect is because they contain (often highly) bioactive compounds, and some of these do not play well with other medications one might be taking.I personally isolated and identified some natural products that turned out to be extremely cytotoxic. My training meant that I always handled them with great care, as one should with any unknown substance. But they were most certainly both "natural" and "organic".
Old February 19, 2022   #6
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

The Cornell listing of Black Cherry & Stupice: both are known to fight Late Blight. This will be good for her Community Garden and Children will love the Sweet Black Cherry, Amen!!
But she will need Very Large Pots to support the Heirloom Plants, Amen!!
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacterial leaf spot , costoluto genovese , disease resistance , xanthomonas