Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 10, 2012   #1
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Default Scott's Potting Soil Question

Has anyone experienced this? I bought a small bag of this to pot a few houseplants with and I can't get it to absorb water and to keep it moist. When I watered it the water just stayed on top for a long time. So I soaked it in a pan of water but 2 days later it was dry again. I can't seem to get it hydrated. I never experienced this with MG.
Old February 10, 2012   #2
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Try using your hands to work the water into the potting mixture. That's what I've taken to doing.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2012   #3
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Probably more than you want to know. Claud

http://www.corporatewatch.org/?lid=367
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2012   #4
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

What I do with peat moss is wet it with very hot (even boiling) water. Soaks right in.
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #5
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Default Scott's Question

Thanks for all the replies. I usually pre wet potting soil before using it especially if it's been setting a while using hot water and agitating the soil, but I just bought this bag and used it directly for potting thinking it was moist enough which it it felt moist. But after 3-4 waterings it still wasn't throughly moist. I pulled the plants out of it and found it to be absolutley dry around the roots. Replanted in Miracle Gro and it absorbed well. My question is have any of you noticed the difference in the two brands of potting mixes or do you think I just got a bad bag. Right now I am about to swear off using Scotts.
By the way thanks for the info on Scotts. Ya never know who your dealing with these days.
Old February 13, 2012   #6
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Default Scotts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryStPaul View Post
What I do with peat moss is wet it with very hot (even boiling) water. Soaks right in.
Gary...It's a little late to do this once the plants are in the soil.
Old February 13, 2012   #7
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

You are right, Sir. I didn't realize the plants were already in the mix.
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

I agree with all the other posts- don't get rid of the mix you have. Next time you need some, put a bit more than you think you'll need in some kind of large container like a kettle for canning. I put the container right in the sink and run hot water from the faucet into it and then mix it in really well with both hands until it all feels evenly damp but not soggy. You'll be amazed at how much water you'll need. If I have leftover mix, I let it dry out before I put it away to be stored to avoid mold problems.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2012   #9
johno
Tomatovillian™

I tested three or four seed-starting mixes side by side a few years ago, and Scott's yielded the best results. I don't know if the formula has changed since then? Are you using 'potting soil' or the seed-starting mix? (FWIW, MG Cactus Palm and Citrus mix was second best...)
Old February 14, 2012   #10
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
I tested three or four seed-starting mixes side by side a few years ago, and Scott's yielded the best results. I don't know if the formula has changed since then? Are you using 'potting soil' or the seed-starting mix? (FWIW, MG Cactus Palm and Citrus mix was second best...)
I got the potting mix which usually drains pretty good but this bag just wouldn't absorb water. It passed right through the pot without any retention. I also bought a bag of the Palm and Citrus mix as someone suggested to use it for seeding. I was really trying to get rid of using soil mixes with a lot of peat because of the same reason, once it dries out it's tuff to get it moist without drowning the seedlings. Thanks for the input.
Old February 14, 2012   #11
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I agree with all the other posts- don't get rid of the mix you have. Next time you need some, put a bit more than you think you'll need in some kind of large container like a kettle for canning. I put the container right in the sink and run hot water from the faucet into it and then mix it in really well with both hands until it all feels evenly damp but not soggy. You'll be amazed at how much water you'll need. If I have leftover mix, I let it dry out before I put it away to be stored to avoid mold problems.
I'm gonna put it in a 5 gal container with drain holes and let it sit out in the rain and not use it till it gets wet. Actually in between my message I went and bought a bag of MGro Pottting Mix and it worked perfectly. But thanks for the input.
Old February 15, 2012   #12
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that link. I am more concerned about Monsanto every time I hear the name mentioned!

j

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltmarsh View Post
Probably more than you want to know. Claud

http://www.corporatewatch.org/?lid=367
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote