Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 28, 2015   #1
Leastbay
Tomatovillian™

Default What size to transplant into garden?

This is a burpee steakhouse which I grew from seed. Its been outside for about a week or two in another pot and its about 3 inches. Is it more beneficial to put it in the ground now or to leave it in the pot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steakhouse.jpg (47.0 KB, 125 views)
Leastbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I would leave them outside in the pots until they are about 12 to 15 inches tall and then transplant them in the garden.

Sometimes if not many times plants grow better in a container at that size than in the soil.
This is why many of us do what they call potting up.
One person here that sells tomatoes skipped that step and went up a size from where he normally goes.
The result was smaller tomato plants to sell than he normally had.
Another reason is they are small and less protected in the garden than they would be in the container.

Some of the containers look a little low on soil though.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #3
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

As long as the temps are right for planting in your area- go ahead and plant it. I can't see anything beneficial from being in a little pot- but only if the temps are right. No use rushing if the temps are wrong; you'll get a stressed plant in that case. Stressed plants don't make a lot of tomatoes.

You should look up wintersown, I think it's a .org. You can see that some people start there tomatoes outside by seed, bypassing your transplanting stage altogether.
Old March 28, 2015   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I prefer 8' plus. Most of mine are about 10" that I am hardening off right now. Sure, 6" size will work too but they will take a little longer to catch up.
But the ones in Leastbay's picture seem to be too small to me.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #5
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Gee Whiz! Leastbay's plants are the size I transfer from seeding cells to 4" pots. I don't plant them out until they are at least 12" or more.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

You'll be better off if you wait and let them grow a bit more. I too prefer plants around 8 to 10 inches but have never had a problem with much taller plants. This year mine will be closer to 12 to 14 inches because I delayed planting because of the cool spell and rain storms we just had. I am very glad I waited. Although the temps only got down to about 40 the wind was high enough to have destroyed some smaller tomatoes. It broke some of my foot tall broccoli plants.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote