Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 29, 2016   #1
nniemiec
Tomatovillian™

Default Recommendations: Determinates

This was my 1st year growing determinates -- celebrity/defiant/Indigo Rose

All proved to be among the healthiest & productive of my entire crop of 15+ plants, however, for me: I prefer larger toms. The celebrities are my preferred among the (3).

What LARGER determinate varieties do you recommend for next season?
nniemiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2016   #2
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Copper river is fantastic if you want something different. Produces big fruit too.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2016   #3
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

This Fall I am growing Red Rocket, on a recommendation I got on this site. I planted 3 of them a little over 6 weeks ago. The plants are obviously determinate and covered with green fruit that will continue to get larger for at least a few more weeks before they begin to ripen. It looks like most will be a little over half a pound. I am anxious to taste them as their flavor was included in the recommendation. The first thirty to forty days they were in the ground it was still very hot here, (highs from 93 to 103 most days). They got off to a good start anyway and began to bloom a few weeks earlier than I had hoped. As a result they dropped a ton of blossoms in the heat and will be less productive than they could have been. I will try them again in the Spring to get a clearer picture of productivity.
Good luck, i will be watching this thread for more suggestions.
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2016   #4
nniemiec
Tomatovillian™

thanks - For years I favored indeterminates for their continuous fruiting, however, I'm learning that here (in chicago) determinates are way healthier & produce plenty of toms during the growing season. It may have to do w. me being confined to growing in containers.
Old August 29, 2016   #5
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

EM-Champion is available from Tatiana's. I had 2 in a 15gal fabric pot and the plants took off well and set a ton of fruit. One in a 10gal might have been better, they were too thirsty as a pair and BER became a problem. I have no patience for BER and yanked them mid-season. Might even have a few seeds left if you want to try it.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/EM-Champion
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2016   #6
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Have you considered any of the DTPs?
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2016   #7
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Copper river was great this year, set first fruit early and it grown big, then midseason bunch came and it is pulling again with more. Not your typical det pattern at all. I wonder if it is semi det or something?
Em Champion is great, also Budenovka from Tania, Malinovoye Chudo compact one, Danko is red heart very tasty.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2016   #8
nniemiec
Tomatovillian™

is Copper River similar in size (bushy / not as tall) as other determinates?
Old August 30, 2016   #9
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Red defender,determinate but grows about 5 feet tall.
I cut a few tops off to clone and now the clones are producing,for a second crop.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2016   #10
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Willamette. Determinate and grew to about 4' in my garden. Productive with a nice fresh taste. Not acidic or sweet. perfect globe shape about 4 to 6 ounces.

Cloz
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2016   #11
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nniemiec View Post
is Copper River similar in size (bushy / not as tall) as other determinates?
it is closing on 4 ft now in my garden. Thing I do not see are terminal buds.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2016   #12
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloz View Post
Willamette. Determinate and grew to about 4' in my garden. Productive with a nice fresh taste. Not acidic or sweet. perfect globe shape about 4 to 6 ounces.

Cloz
My Willamttes ( 2nd year ) act more like indeterminant. They are prolific.
I am also growing Oregon Springs. It is maybe around 4ft tall, with bigger tomatoes, and prolific. It has few seeds and a lot of meat. I have not completed my taste analysis yet but its worth considering. Siletz is another OSU bred determinant.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2016   #13
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

3 of us here in different locations tried Oregon Spring this year:1 in-ground, 1 in container in greenhouse, one in container covered, and none of us will be growing it again. We all found it a poor producer.
San Francisco Fog is also a determinate with lots of small, sweet fruit.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2016   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've been trying to find my favorite high tunnel determinates for a few years. At this point, I like Agatha as a large red and Aura as a red saladette. Taxi is my yellow, and they are not bad, mild-flavored, but I grow it for the huge yield. I also have a variety called Titan Red - it's a little too late to be a high tunnel variety, but still a nice determinate producer.

If you want a small, bushy plant, about the size to fit into a low tunnel, I like Cole and Sol Gold. Maglia Rosa is my favorite bushy determinate cherry.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2016   #15
bower
Tomatovillian™

Desyatku earned my respect this year as an early producer of 4-5 oz yellow beefs and kept them coming, in spite of a lot of adversities - weather, bad soil in a 5 gallon container. Had a couple in smaller buckets, they produced smaller fruit but just as dogged about it. Taste and quality was decent, nothing wow but not I'd be ashamed to bring to market. I would like to do a side by side with Taxi - my friend used to grow that one too.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote