Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 24, 2016   #1
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Default Bought out Lowes Seeds

I was in Lowes last night for some seedling mix, and as I walked into the nursery, I saw a Sale sign up by the seed racks (2016 vegetables and flowers) at a great discount. So I started the hunt. After spending about an hour or so picking out seeds, I decided I should ask the manager of the department if she would make me a very reasonable deal for the whole shebang. To my surprise she did and the cost (don't ask me how much) she said she would take I could not refuse.

I know that a couple of large organizations in Florida are starting community gardens for the people in group homes there, as I was speaking to them about it. So in the back of my head I had this planned for an outlet, as I know they need all the financial help they can get.

So the long and the short of it is I probably have about 1000 packages of various Ferry-Morse vegetables, herb, tomatoes both Organic and regular. Then the manager decided what the heck and threw in all the flower packages too. (estimating maybe 300 packages)

I have been trying to inventory all of it, but it is confusing and very time consuming and with Christmas in a couple of days, I don't have time to post a huge list of what I have until after the Holidays.

However there are a few types of heirloom tomatoes I would like to get if possible from people who have seed, so if I take the time to post a very long inventory list, do you think there would be any takers? On tomatoes and peppers, I'd offer two packages for my one, and on the other vegetables, I'd offer 3 packages to my one you sent me. Or if you prefer to just ask me if I have certain things, that would be fine too.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

that sounds like the best deal in town.
I am all set with tomatoes an peppers but might be interested in herbs ( chives, parsley , scallion, ...), cucurbits, (zukes, cukes, watermelon ..) , okra, eggplant , tomatillo, ...
What I can offer is some tomato seeds, hot hot , ornamental pepper seed.
I'll wait until you publish what you've got.
MERRY CHRISTMAS !

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Schill, what a smart thing to do. Good thinking!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #4
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Post a want list for those of us that don't need anything back in the way of seeds. There might be some little elves around here.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Last year I saw the lowes seeds out for a long time outside.
The mice had gotten into them.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Yeah! They can charge extra for seeds amended with "nutrients"

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #7
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Always up for a trade! Trading and catalogs are my fix to get me through the winter!

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #8
agee12
Tomatovillian™

I think that you should do the inventory list, but as a preview you may want to lay some or all of the seeds out on a table or floor, snap a few photos and post the images.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #9
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Here is the company's web site, if it makes it easier to copy and paste descriptions, or for everybody else to use as a reference:
http://www.plantationproducts.com/br...FerryMorse.cfm
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #10
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Must have different rules in your area. Corporate stores here have fixed pricing, managers would not have the discretionary ability to change pricing.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #11
schill93
Tomatovillian™

Cole-Robbie: Thank you ever so much for that link. It may make it much easier. I am just sorting through them now and have them on my King Size bed trying to sort them alphabetically by type. I probably won't be able to get through them all until after Christmas. I will put that link you gave me in my post so people can go look at descriptions and pictures.

I just tried making up a list using their website. I got 12 on one sheet of paper, so that would take a lot of sheets of paper, but I'm going to see if I can't figure something out.

I need to put my mind to what seeds I'd like to get, but I'll put a list up when I get this done. Off the top of my head, I would like to get.

Spudakee
Goose Creek
Terhune

and there's a few others I can't think of the name of right now. This will be my first year growing heirlooms, so all of my seeds are purchased. I will save seeds from what I grow so I can contribute next year. I have purchased so many different types but still missing a few I would like to have. I'll Be Back.

Karen, I don't have an answer for that, but they were discounting them when I went in. I know Home Depot sells two for one at least once a year, so I assume Lowes could, but maybe you know more than I do on that subject. It was my understanding that the big box stores had to destroy them all
at the end of the year as they could no longer sell 2016 (as an example) seeds in 2017. I had told her I would like to donate some of the seeds to a couple of organizations in Florida that are starting community gardens, and she said good, that's what she was hoping for.

I'm going to open a few packages tonight and test them for germination to make sure they are ok. And if anyone got one that didn't , I'd replace it..

Last edited by schill93; December 24, 2016 at 05:43 PM.
schill93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #12
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Much better than them being destroyed for Sure. Glad you got them to share. Merry Christmas!
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #13
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, our Home Depot destroys them all sometime after Thanksgiving. They don't mark them down of nothing, just gone.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #14
Fernzy
Tomatovillian™

I'm game. Count me in!
Fernzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2016   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Yeah, our Home Depot destroys them all sometime after Thanksgiving. They don't mark them down of nothing, just gone.
The seed company or someone hires people to come in and clear the shelves.
One year I was there and in the parking lot they gave me all of the seeds I wanted for free.

It has to do with the date on the seeds they cant sell old seeds.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote