Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 25, 2006   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Black from Tula, Kellogg's Breakfast, and a few others...

JJ61 is sending me seeds of Black from Tula and Kellogg's Breakfast. These are two that were previously not on my list. I keep seeing these crop up on the other lists, though.

He also is including Opalka, Mortgage Lifter, Stupice, and Arkansas Travelor. I've heard AT stood the heat well, and is good in late season. Stupice was very favored by many who seem to really love them. Seems I remember that Mortgage Lifter was a medium red, that also had a good following, but I can't remember much about Opalka.

I spent an extra week here trying to get my starting line-up right. I have around 25 varieties now. Almost all are Heirlooms I've never grown. Better Boy (which most of you seem to not like very well, but it's a staple here), Rutgers (which I didn't have much luck with in barrels last year), and Sweet Million or Sweet Hundred (both of which have been tasty and prolific producers for me in the past and seemingly touble free.) For me, they've done well in barrels.

I know info is available elsewhere about these varieties, but wanted some of the real tomato experts here, that I've come to know, give me some ideas on what to expect from these, especially Black from Tula and Kellogg's Breakfast, as far as size of plant, size or fruit, taste, mid or late season, any special culture, etc. Oh, he's sending Back Cherries, too (I believe that's how it's spelled). I assume the name means exactly what it says, and it grows out to production fairly early.

And Fusion, I know you are busy in the greenhouse, getting ready for spring, and I haven't seen you post here much lately. You sent me your web site once, but it's buried in all these older threads and I can't find it here anyplace, or remember exactly how you spell your name here...Fusion...FusionPower, Fusion_Power, etc. and can't seem to look you up. If you see this, give me your link again, please.

Thanks!

Don
Old February 25, 2006   #2
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Fusion,

It took a while, but I did find your web site. Looking over it now as I wait for lunch.

Also, I did see the thread about Black Cherries, but it wasa little confusing. Seems some post considered it a generic term to apply to all of the black cherries, but then other posts mentioned it as a specific variety, and other varieties. I guess JJ61 is the one to answer this for me.

Don
Old February 25, 2006   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Don,

Black Cherry IS a specific variety introduced by TGS and bred by them.

Not to be confused with Black Sweet and the takeoff Burpee is offering and the others I posted about in that thread.

There's really nothing special that I think anyone here, expert or not, can tell you about how YOU will like Kellogg's Breakfast or Black from Tula or others.

The specs given at TGS are right on and I will say that I think very highly of both of those varieties with respect to taste, yield and overall performance, in my zone about 5 tomato patch.

Look, as someone else said to you, just plant what you can manage for this summer and enjoy!

You've got many summers ahead of you to grow all the ones you want to grow on your ever expanding list.
Old February 25, 2006   #4
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

yes...Black Cherry IS a specific variety. Indet., 65 days according to the TGS catalog.

SEE: www.tomatogrowers.com
Old February 25, 2006   #5
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

TGS = Tomato Grower's Supply in Fort Meyers, Florida? I have that web site and catalog. Great descriptions, but they are in the business of selling and make them all sounds good, and I cound't be sure how objective they were. Not a spitter in the batch! lol

Of the Black Cherry, it said this:

"This is the first truly black cherry tomato we've found, and our own exclusive variety. It is not a plum, but a perfectly round cherry with classic black tomato flavor, sweet yet rich and complex. Fruit picks clean from the stem and is produced in abundance on vigorous, tall plants. These cherries are irresistibly delicious and a unique addition to the color spectrum of cherry tomatoes now available. Indeterminate. 65 days."

I'm still learning the nomenclature here and varieties. There are just so many varieties, and you guys know so much about it. My world has certainly expanded beyond Better Boy, Big Boy, Rutger's and Sweet Million! Before, I'd pick two or three varieties that Bonnie's Plants offered, and plant a ton of each. You guys pick a ton of varieties and plant 1-3 each, it seems. So, I'm trying your method this year. A whole new ball game. Would rather questions now to avoid mistakes I'd explain as failures in late season. But, as you say, Ill never know them till I grow them, and I'm right on the verge of starting.

Thanks NY C!

Don
Old February 26, 2006   #6
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Ok, Don, here goes, from my perspective/tastebuds.

Black from Tula, tastewise, is pushing a 9. 90% of the blacks are great, you've just got to find the one you like best. I personally like Carbon best as a slicer, but Black Krim is dynamite on a sandwich.

If you like cherry types, you'll love Black Cherry. And you need a yellow to go with it so get Galina's Yellow Cherry. And if you find a super duper red type cherry that has good ol' time flavor and [doesn't] split, let me know.

Kellogg's Breakfast is a huge plant and about the most prolific one I grew last year. But it didn't suit my tastebuds, say like Aunt Gertie's Gold does, so I'd give it an 8, but you might give it a 9 or better.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2006   #7
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Earl!

I keep hearing about the black varieties, and I hear a lot of good things. I will probably be the first in my little Mayberry to grow the kinds I'm planning on this year. They sound fabulous.

Climate is mentioned here and elsewhere many times. All things are relative. I usually grow Sweet One Hundred or Sweet Million for the smalls, in half whiskey barrels, and they have a flourish of growth all season, deep and green leaves, with beautiful fruit. I can't remember any splitting trouble. Beautiful little things, and they are just like eating gumdrops, walking through the garden.

I do appreciate your reply. This year I won't be having 50 Better Boy and Big Boy. This year I'll have large, medium, small, deep red, regular red, pink, yellow, purple, and black. Surely one will do well! And I'll certainly keep you posted.

Thanks again, Earl.

Don