Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 4, 2011   #1
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Default New World Seeds & Tubers newworldcrops.com

I asked Mischka if I could make an announcement here on TomatoVille.

Quote:
Hi Tom,

You are welcome to promote your new business venture any way you like here, and as often as you'd like, too.
I wish you much success. You have earned it.
Mischka
I am launching a new website featuring many of my potatoes and tomatoes. As some of you already know, I have been breeding these critters for many years and have not had a catalog since my Tater Mater Seeds Catalog of 1983 through 1987. That is the place I first introduced tomatoes such as Green Zebra and many others.

I have been going crazy...literally...trying to justify hanging onto tens of thousands of envelopes of all kinds of seeds; mostly TPS (true potato seed) tomato breeding lines, and a number of other crops. A lifetime of breeding new clones was a fun and rather aimless venture into diversity. What to do with this diversity was a roller coaster ride for me. Without going into detail, I am convinced that open source sustainability, food independence, and building a community of seed savers and breeders became more important to me than anything else.

We need to oppose the current dynamics that are taking control of our seed supply and security away from us; namely the Monsanto types, the government regulators, Plant Variety Protection (PVP), the big seed companies, the Land Grant Colleges, and selfish people in general.

My hero has been Luther Burbank. He was born in Lancaster, Massachusetts. I was born in Lancaster, Kansas nearly one hundred years later. If I am going to ever going to be the emulator and develop more than 800 strains and varieties of plants over Burbank's 55-year career, I had better get busy and release that many or more with an online catalog.

The link for the New World Seeds & Tubers is
www.Newworldcrops.com

It is not complete but is it working. I have several hundred lines of tomatoes and potatoes yet to list.

Thanks again Mischka, for allowing me to post this topic.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #2
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations for getting this off the ground during planting time! I remember the thread where you were musing about doing this.

I poked around and I like it. I noticed quite a few F1 varieties at the end of the tomato listings too. I have never seen some of these potato varieties either.

In doing this poking about, I noticed that I did not find how many seeds, etc., one might expect in ordering a single unit. That is probably important - especially for those of us who are fortunate enough to have large acreages (not I).

Thanks for this.

Walter
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #3
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

The website should have been completed last year but much of the paperwork...tax ID number, resellers license, paypal setup, bank account, and structure of the website slowed down progress.

I will be adding information slower than I would like as I have to fill orders already.

There is so much I want to include in the catalog but too much pedigree info will bog it down, Keeping it simple is hard for me to do. I would like to include each of the dozens and dozens of the parental tomato names that go into the crosses and selfings. But a simple name is better than a long dissertation of the history of a variety.

I have a virtual Ancestry.com ancestor chart for many of my tomatoes like this ...
http://c.mfcreative.com/pdf/trees/charts/anchart.pdf
and my tomato and potato pedigree history would read like Queen Victoria's royal family history, inbreeding and all.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://newworldcrops.com/wp/

Above is the link to Tom's new site.

Tom, I looked around but don't see how folks are supposed to order seeds from you other than e-mailing you. But I don't see what the price is for how many seeds you send.

What am I missing?

And yes, I see many varieties on that list that I trialed for you back in the mid-90's and could speak to some of those if you wish, or could wait until you yourself get some descriptions up there for at least some of your varieties that you think are ones to maybe start with and let the starred ones wait since many of those are available elsewhere.

And am I ever glad that you've decided to get some of your germplasm out there for the public for it's been a long time coming.

Just share with us how you want folks to request seeds from you, how many seeds you'll send and what the price is/pack.

As I said, maybe I missed that info but it is 4 AM and I should be in bed now.
Old February 4, 2011   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
What am I missing?
The Shop button.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

You can order using PayPal or credit card. I did the Paypal with no problemo. Ami
Old February 4, 2011   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
The Shop button.
Nope, I didn't miss the shop button, but when I go there all the ones above tomatoes are clickable with buy buttons, such as beans, potatoes, squash, but for me, at least, tomatoes at the bottom of that category list is not clickable so I don't know what tomato varieties are for sale.

I can scan the long list of tomatoes with the various crosses listed at the end, but I can't click on tomatoes after the shop click to see tomatoes for sale with buy bottons.
Old February 4, 2011   #8
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Tom,

Which 5 tomato varieties are your top 5? And don't give the Carolynesque "my top 5 won't be your top 5....."

Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #9
MJACTIVIST
Tomatovillian™

Just sent out my order. Can't wait to get start popping more seeds.
Thanks Tom
L8
MJ
MJACTIVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #10
Tom C zone 4/5
Tomatovillian™

My order went out to Tom a couple weeks ago, with the prayer that he would have some TPS that made a russet looking spud that also set flowers/seed.

My fingers are still crossed...
Old February 4, 2011   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

So the rest of you can see the tomato varieties with the sell buttons?

Strange that I can't b'c tomatoes, at the bottom of the category types, is the only one that isn't clickable, it's just listed as tomatoes, in black, with no clickability if that's a word.
Old February 4, 2011   #12
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

From the main page, if you click-on SHOP:TOMATOES you can select O/P or F2/F3 - there's currently only one O/P variety listed, but there are a number of F2/F3 varieties. I think they'll be adding more in the near future.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
From the main page, if you click-on SHOP:TOMATOES you can select O/P or F2/F3 - there's currently only one O/P variety listed, but there are a number of F2/F3 varieties. I think they'll be adding more in the near future.
Ummm,err, what I've been saying is that when I do click on SHOP and then see the various categories, like beans, squash, potatoes with tomatoes at the bottom of those categories is that it's in black and not clickable.

Tom, do you or anyone else here have any idea at all what might be going on? And I'll wait to see if anyone else has the same problem. I'm on AOL as my browser, which is MS and just slightly different from the MS that IE uses as a browser and I have no problems at any site at all with my AOL MS, so I'm not in the mood to add a different browser.

I suppose I could try it with IE, but I almost never go there for several reasons, and see if I can access Google there, or can I just transfer a website via cut and paste to my faves there? When IE comes up there's usually just some nonsense popups that don't go away, and I'm sure I have a popup blocker there as I do at AOL.

I think I'll just wait a bit to see if anyone else is having the same problem I am with not being able to click on tomatoes in that category list.
Old February 4, 2011   #14
JustBob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Ummm,err, what I've been saying is that when I do click on SHOP and then see the various categories, like beans, squash, potatoes with tomatoes at the bottom of those categories is that it's in black and not clickable.

Tom, do you or anyone else here have any idea at all what might be going on? And I'll wait to see if anyone else has the same problem. I'm on AOL as my browser, which is MS and just slightly different from the MS that IE uses as a browser and I have no problems at any site at all with my AOL MS, so I'm not in the mood to add a different browser.

I suppose I could try it with IE, but I almost never go there for several reasons, and see if I can access Google there, or can I just transfer a website via cut and paste to my faves there? When IE comes up there's usually just some nonsense popups that don't go away, and I'm sure I have a popup blocker there as I do at AOL.

I think I'll just wait a bit to see if anyone else is having the same problem I am with not being able to click on tomatoes in that category list.
Carolyn - I was having the exact same results as you.
Solution: Hold your mouse over the shop but don't click immediately. Scroll down to Tomatoes then scroll over f2/f3 then click to see avaliable varieties for clicking.
The site is still under construction it would appear so it takes a slightly different approach than expected at this point. Very sympathetic to your frustration
Best Bob
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2011   #15
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

I think I see what you mean. The tomato "button" is in black and not clickable on the left side of the main screen. BUT... there is another list horizontally across the top below the page banner that also has a shop button which when clicked will give you a drop down menu where tomato IS clickable and then a new drop down from that with OP or F1/F2. Hope that helps
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote