Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 25, 2014   #1
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Default 'Hearty' Indian Stripe Hearts???

In the feedback from Carolyn's 2013 seed offer I saw only one other person who reported an Indian Stripe Heart that survived to produce. That experience was similar to mine, only one producing plant, produced a few healthy Indian Stripe fruit, but no apparent heart shape. Each of us had another variety that did produce heart shaped fruit last year, which would argue against environmental conditions as the reason the heart shape did not manifest itself in the Indian Stripe Heart, but of course conditions vary, even in the same garden, and with us both looking at only a few fruit, produced at the end of the season, it may be that with a longer, warmer period of productivity those plants would have produced hearts.

I'm wondering whether anyone else had plants that vigorously produced heart shaped Indian Stripe fruit last season -- particularly from Carolyn's offer, but from any source, really.

If there are a bunch of plants around chugging out heart shaped Indian Stripe fruit, this post pretty much stops right here.

If not, I was thinking . . . the five fruit my Indian Stripe Heart plant produced came from known Indian Stripe Heart-shaped ancestry -- Carolyn saw the heart shape in fruit produced at her home, and the person who did her seed production saw the heart shape in the fruit used to generate the seed.

My plant was separated from other tomatoes by modest distance, but also, all the fruit were bagged -- so considering tomatoes' tendency to self fertilize, plus some distance between plants, plus the bags, it is very likely that the seeds those plants produced contain (reshuffled) the same genes as the seeds Carolyn distributed, which were known to have come from heart shaped Indian Stripe fruit.

I have not yet tested germination on those seeds. They did ferment quite a bit longer than usual, so viability is a genuine issue -- wasn't intentional, just one of those 'life happens' situations. However, other seeds that had the absurdly long ferment have proved to be OK -- probably because the room they were in was almost unheated -- so there is a reasonable chance the Indian Stripe Heart seeds will be, as well.

IF the seeds are viable, and IF there are not a quantity of other Indian Stripe Heart plants around reliably chugging out hearts, then I was thinking that I might offer some of those seeds to those who wanted to grow them out and see what they produce. This is NOT an offer, this post is for us all to ponder together whether plants that reliably produce Indian Stripe Heart shaped fruit are in short enough supply that such an effort would be worthwhile.

I'm inclined to think that it's a pretty low risk proposition, as the worst that seems likely to happen is that people would grow Indian Stripe not-heart fruit, which is hardly a bad thing.

However, I should probably note that in comments on the 2013 Indian Stripe Heart plants, one person reported round red fruit and one person reported potato leaf babies. I was inclined to think those both probably represented mixups of some sort rather than manifestation of anything in the Indian Stripe Heart seeds' genetics, but who knows . . . stuff happens.

So, folks, (1) are there enough reliable Indian Stripe Heart producers around to make this unnecessary (2) if not, does it sound as if it might be worth a try?

I thought about not posting these thoughts until I saw whether the seed I have seems viable -- but it seemed to me that if we do this, it will have to happen pretty soon, so thought I should see what thoughts everyone had as soon as possible.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #2
Paul R
Tomatovillian™

This is interesting. I have grown Indian Stripe for many years and have not heard of a heart shaped variety. The seed I originally obtained were from Carolyn's seed offer years back.

Paul R
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2014   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Without checking thru a lot of stuff, I don't remember right now who did send me that IS Heart. Craig raises my plants for me, and sent me back one IS Heart plant from seeds I sent him, and it did produce blunt hearts here at home.

I sent seeds also to one of the folks who did seed production for me and it was those seeds that I distributed.

Without even referencing the feed back thread I became aware of the fact that the e was something wrong with those seeds, dented ( concave) on both sides for most of them, and mentioned that online and someone offered to regrow if I could find enough non dented seeds to send to him.

I don't know what those results were.

All to say that you can see I deleted it from my 2014 offer b'c, mainly of low to no germination, and don't remember that some got red fruits since I haven't been back to that 2013 Fall performance thread since around Xmas time when I was going thru and writing down what I thought to be problem varieties, such as Mdm Jardels, and some others, so I could delete them from my 2014 offer, which I did.

If you say that some did get some IS hearts, that's good, but I don't see where anyone reoffered them.

And I wasn't surpised to find an IS heart sent to me since Indian Stripe is a version of Cherokee purple and CP already had a PL version, actually several, as did IS, just one which grew true, and CP has a heart, newly offered by Mike at Victory seeds.

Carolyn
Old February 26, 2014   #4
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I didn't say some got IS hearts, I said that only two of us reported IS Heart plants that survived to produce mature fruit. Neither of us thought that the fruit could be described as hearts, but it appeared that we both thought that *might* have been because of growing conditions.

Attached is a picture of the (blossom-bagged) fruit produced by my IS Heart plant last year -- healthy Indian Stripe fruit, not very 'hearty' -- but *maybe* would have been with a longer, warmer growth period. In any event they should be carrying the genes of what you knew to be IS heart-shaped fruit so their seeds *might* produce hearts.

The purpose of my post was to find out if there are plants out there reliably producing IS hearts -- either unreported plants from your offer or plants from some other source and, if not, to suggest a possibility.

On the left in the pic are two comparison fruits, one from an original Indian Stripe plant and one from an Indian Stripe Potato Leaf plant from your 2013 offer. On the right are the five fruits produced by the IS Heart plant from your 2013 offer -- the seed producer candidates.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Indian Stripe form comparisons.JPG (143.4 KB, 263 views)
Old February 26, 2014   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
Carolyn, I didn't say some got IS hearts, I said that only two of us reported IS Heart plants that survived to produce mature fruit. Neither of us thought that the fruit could be described as hearts, but it appeared that we both thought that *might* have been because of growing conditions.

Attached is a picture of the (blossom-bagged) fruit produced by my IS Heart plant last year -- healthy Indian Stripe fruit, not very 'hearty' -- but *maybe* would have been with a longer, warmer growth period. In any event they should be carrying the genes of what you knew to be IS heart-shaped fruit so their seeds *might* produce hearts.

The purpose of my post was to find out if there are plants out there reliably producing IS hearts -- either unreported plants from your offer or plants from some other source and, if not, to suggest a possibility.

On the left in the pic are two comparison fruits, one from an original Indian Stripe plant and one from an Indian Stripe Potato Leaf plant from your 2013 offer. On the right are the five fruits produced by the IS Heart plant from your 2013 offer -- the seed producer candidates.
JLJ, if you are going to release some seeds, I would be interested. The ones I got from Carolyn's offer were a no go. My climate is certainly long enough and warm enough to see what happens with the shape.
As a related aside, which plant was more vigorous, the ISH, or the ISPL?

I love that you are looking into this, it will make many happy. Suggest you may want to do your germination test just to know the viability, since you mentioned the prolonged fermentation.
Thank you for thinking of us with this thread.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014   #6
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
JLJ, if you are going to release some seeds, I would be interested. The ones I got from Carolyn's offer were a no go. My climate is certainly long enough and warm enough to see what happens with the shape.
As a related aside, which plant was more vigorous, the ISH, or the ISPL?

I love that you are looking into this, it will make many happy. Suggest you may want to do your germination test just to know the viability, since you mentioned the prolonged fermentation.
Thank you for thinking of us with this thread.

Marsha
I'm not sure I'd call it "release some seeds" . . . more like "share some of Carolyn's tomato-grand-seeds if they maybe might possibly be of use to some"

I hope to get a germination test started today -- but we're currently having about a 36 hour break in the snow plus subzero temps, so I'm not sure germination tests won't get bumped by other things [g]

I gather that you don't know of any source that has plants reliably producing IS hearts, so think this is worth a try?

Regarding ISH vs ISPL, ISH, to me, has mostly novelty value -- though perhaps if we found a line of vigorously producing plants it would be different. Carolyn thinks so highly of hearts, which has led to my 90 year old mother becoming interested in hearts -- so I'm growing several hearts.

My Indian Stripe Potato Leaf from Caroline's 2013 offer was a real champ compared to ISH or to the original IS or to anything in the garden, except perhaps the Marglobe. And Marglobe is always my pet, so it's just possible I'm not entirely objective in that comparison

Indian Stripe Potato Leaf is apparently after pet status, as well. Around Thanksgiving, when I was getting the last of my seeds out of their fermentation jars, one was a jar with some ISPL and there, growing out of the fungal mat, was a tiny ISPL seedling. None of the other seeds showed any signs of sprouting -- and seeds that just looked as if they were sprouting I'd have discarded routinely -- but this little guy was standing there holding up his cotyledons so proudly that I didn't have the heart to toss him.

Thought, "it'll probably die, but . . . " , scooped some unsterilized potting soil into a planting cup, poked him in, and put him in a warm, light place. Vigorous . . . yes. His odd start didn't bother him at all. I've tried to keep conditions good enough to keep him happy, but not so good to encourage growth. So far, he has a center stem like a tree (well, a small tree) and looks happy, but is unsurprisingly getting too large for a house plant -- and it's a long time before he can go outside, here.

I'm going to trim him into cuttings and root them and we'll see, but I suspect he won't mind becoming several plants at all. I just hope he will leave a little room for us in the house between now and 'planting out' time.
Old February 26, 2014   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
I'm not sure I'd call it "release some seeds" . . . more like "share some of Carolyn's tomato-grand-seeds if they maybe might possibly be of use to some"

I hope to get a germination test started today -- but we're currently having about a 36 hour break in the snow plus subzero temps, so I'm not sure germination tests won't get bumped by other things [g]

I gather that you don't know of any source that has plants reliably producing IS hearts, so think this is worth a try?

Regarding ISH vs ISPL, ISH, to me, has mostly novelty value -- though perhaps if we found a line of vigorously producing plants it would be different. Carolyn thinks so highly of hearts, which has led to my 90 year old mother becoming interested in hearts -- so I'm growing several hearts.

My Indian Stripe Potato Leaf from Caroline's 2013 offer was a real champ compared to ISH or to the original IS or to anything in the garden, except perhaps the Marglobe. And Marglobe is always my pet, so it's just possible I'm not entirely objective in that comparison

Indian Stripe Potato Leaf is apparently after pet status, as well. Around Thanksgiving, when I was getting the last of my seeds out of their fermentation jars, one was a jar with some ISPL and there, growing out of the fungal mat, was a tiny ISPL seedling. None of the other seeds showed any signs of sprouting -- and seeds that just looked as if they were sprouting I'd have discarded routinely -- but this little guy was standing there holding up his cotyledons so proudly that I didn't have the heart to toss him.

Thought, "it'll probably die, but . . . " , scooped some unsterilized potting soil into a planting cup, poked him in, and put him in a warm, light place. Vigorous . . . yes. His odd start didn't bother him at all. I've tried to keep conditions good enough to keep him happy, but not so good to encourage growth. So far, he has a center stem like a tree (well, a small tree) and looks happy, but is unsurprisingly getting too large for a house plant -- and it's a long time before he can go outside, here.

I'm going to trim him into cuttings and root them and we'll see, but I suspect he won't mind becoming several plants at all. I just hope he will leave a little room for us in the house between now and 'planting out' time.
I just went through the entire Fall 2013 feedback thread and only TWO folks reported about IS Heart.

JLJ you were post # 42, who said you got plants up but not heart shaped fruits

Marsha, you reported in post 93 that you got no germination

And I didn't write down the name, but a person in post #91 said no germination.

And that's it for ISH.

There were lots of back and forth posts about some names, primarily between Clara and Vladimir and twice I pleaded for more reports.

It's absolutely clear that there were many who did not report back, which is why I hesitated about even doing another seed offer b'c I want to know where there are problems in terms of sending seeds for trial to certain seed sites.

When I do a seed offer I wait until I close it before making contact with those seeds sites about varieties for trial, and I'm into that right now.

As I said above, I think one person PMed me asking if he could try the seeds but I'm not going to go back and see who that was although I think I remember.

Point is, I never heard anything back.

I don't think having a longer warmer summer has anything to do with ISH showing a heart shape. IS itself isn't a late season variety, and I know there's no difference between CP and CP Heart if you look at Mikes info at Victory seeds.

There was no difference when I grew Orange Minsk and Orange Minsk Heart here at home, well Freda did for me.

I can't remember sending seeds of ISH to any seed sites so the only seeds for it are either with some who never reported back, but I didn't see any seed offers for it this year to date, but given the low germination, well that can't be the reason b'c folks reported back on most or ALL the varieties they had.

The only thing I can do is to possibly find the original seeds that were sent to me, which I sent to Craig for a plant for me and to the person who did the seed production.

My one plant here at home did show hearts but I didn't save any seeds from those fruits, I stopped doing seed production here at home when I severed those quads and got put into this walker.

Summary?

l'll see if I can find any leftover seeds from the original ones sent to me but it won't be an ASAP thing for me to do since I'm still sending seeds out to non participants of my seed offer, wheeling and dealing with a lady in Italy for some new ones, hoping to get SOOrange placed at Baker Creek for Sam, going back and forth with Reinhard in Germany, well you get the picture. Oh, and then the three folks who want seeds for Selbo's Ribbed Cherry that I have to use scissors to get them off the paper they were sent on.

Finally, JLJ, save seeds from those putative heart ones,, let me know when you do and then e-mail me about it and we'll come up with a game plan. Thanks.

Carolyn
Old February 26, 2014   #8
Idahowoman
Tomatovillian™

I was on post #91 and I had no germination on the Indian Stripe Heart seed.
Susan
Idahowoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

I didn't post my results with Indian Stripe Heart on the Fall 2013 feedback thread because I reported in the 2013 Germination Results thread that I didn't get any viable plants.

Took the liberty of going through that thread and hope it's ok to report that the results for Indian Stripe Heart that were reported in the germination thread were:

Heritage: 1/3 (blind)
MarinaRussian: 2/3 (posted a fruit photo in post #111- looking very blunt)
austinnhannasmom: 0/4
kath: 0/5
Heritage's sister, Maria: 1/6
lakelady: 0/8
Boutique Tomatoes: 0/5
Mark0820: 1/4
JLJ: 1/6
nancyruhl: 4/7
ginger2778: 0/6

Don't know if tragedy struck any of these plants after this report but may others could be contacted to see what kind of fruits showed up.

kath

Last edited by kath; February 26, 2014 at 05:02 PM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2014   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I didn't post my results with Indian Stripe Heart on the Fall 2013 feedback thread because I reported in the 2013 Germination Results thread that I didn't get any viable plants.

Took the liberty of going through that thread and hope it's ok to report that the results for Indian Stripe Heart that were reported in the germination thread were:

Don't know if tragedy struck any of these plants after this report but may others could be contacted to see what kind of fruits showed up.

kath
Thanks Kath. I didn't go through the 2013 germination thread now but I had noted the problems with Germination, and said so in one of the posts from the Fall 2013 performance thread.

And what you posted is what I also saw is why I deleted ISH from the 2014 seed offer.

I can contact Nancyruh, I know her well, since she said she got 4 plants up and see what she has to say, since I don't recall her posting in the Fall thread.

Carolyn
Old February 26, 2014   #11
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post

kath
I think you have it right kath.

According to my notes:

MarinaRussian posted a pic of immature green fruit in post #111 in the germination thread, but nothing when/if they matured.

As I'd said in the first post, there were only two of us who posted about mature Indian Stripe Heart fruit in the feedback thread -- the other was Mark0820 -- and I believe it was post #41 in the feedback thread.

nancyruhl posted in post #88 in the germination thread about 4 PL "Indian Stripe Hearts" -- but in post #10 in the feedback thread she posted about "Indian Stripe PL" -- and the other four varieties mentioned were the same in both posts. Since Indian Stripe Heart is not PL, it seems likely that the germination thread post #88 contained an accidental name error and that the Feedback thread post saying that she had grown Indian Stripe PL was correct.

In a different thread(s) marktutt/boutiquetomatoes said that Carolyn had sent some additional Indian Stripe Heart seed, which had sprouted and which was intended to grow out some seed for her. I believe that Carolyn said that she hadn't heard further from the person to whom she sent the extra Indian Stripe Heart seed, so the seed production apparently didn't work out

doublehelix said in a different thread that the indian stripe heart seed had produced round red tomatoes -- which I inferred meant that a mixup had occurred somehow, somewhere, but as I said in the first post, it's worth noting as odd crosses can always happen.

I'm a little concerned -- I didn't mention any names earlier as -- while I entirely understand why Carolyn gets vexed when she doesn't get enough reports on seeds distributed -- I didn't want to be any part of making anyone feel even a little bit bad about what they'd reported or not reported or of stirring up any other form of discomfort for anyone.

As it says in the first post, what I had in mind was to find out whether there are plenty of Indian Stripe Heart plants reliably producing hearts and, if not, to suggest a strategy using the already saved bagged-blossom seeds that my Indian Stripe Heart plant produced last summer to *maybe* be able to produce some 'hearty' fruit. But not if there are already reliable IS Heart plants producing, or if there are better seeds available.

And . . . the Indian Stripe family are a late season variety here -- last year they were still trying to mature when winter jumped on us in late September -- though when a plant decides to start himself the previous Thanksgiving that may vary his summertime maturity schedule.

Assuming that we're not still covered with ice and snow in June
Old June 27, 2015   #12
travis
Tomatovillian™

I am having a slight reaction to my meds today, and cannot concentrate on details in the overly long posts. Please clarify a couple of things for me:

Where did the Indian Stripe Heart tomato originate, in whose garden?

Who supplied the original Indian Stripe Heart seeds referred to in this thread?

Who grew out the increased seed lot from which the IS Heart seeds were distributed via Carolyn?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #13
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

JLJ, I want to thank you for seeds of both the ISHeart, and the ISPL. I was able to get viable plants from both. I was also able to offer seeds from both types, and many took me up on the offer. I got many wonderful blunt heart shaped fruit from the ISH.
Surprisingly, many more requested seeds from the ISPL than the heart one, both were excellent producers in my garden. I do not bag my seeds, since at the time of year that I must grow, I really dont have any cross pollination pressures, the Hallictidae aren't active, and I don't think .i have ever seen a bumble bee here, and all my carried over plants to date have grown true.
ISH is on my grow list for this coming August's start, it was a fine producer of pretty blunt heart shaped delicious fruits.
Old June 27, 2015   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I am having a slight reaction to my meds today, and cannot concentrate on details in the overly long posts. Please clarify a couple of things for me:

Where did the Indian Stripe Heart tomato originate, in whose garden?

Who supplied the original Indian Stripe Heart seeds referred to in this thread?

Who grew out the increased seed lot from which the IS Heart seeds were distributed via Carolyn?
I'm not on meds today and I'm trying not to get confused. I'll answer you as best I can Bill.

In post #3 I said I was sent a plant from Craig L.

I did save seeds from the fruits of that plant and they were blunt hearts as I also noted above.

I sent those starter seeds to one of my seed producers and as always I have a list of varieties for them to choose from and that's what they get sent. That data is not in my current data book and I don't know where the other data books are right now.

I listed this variety in 2013 but b'c the germination was so bad and apparently some who did grow it got wrong fruits, so I deleted it from my 2014 seed offer.

In post #7 above I asked JLJ for some seeds, saying we could work it out, but he never sent them to me so I was surprised in post #13 when Marsha just thanked him for the IS Heart seeds he sent her and she had offered them to others who participated in her seed offer.

Nancy Ruhl did get up several plants, but sadly, Nancy, who was one of my best seed producers, kind of disappeared and I never heard anything back from her about IS Heart,

Are you back home now? I ask b'c I need to ask you about those seeds you were going to send and someone else has said to contact you about some other varieties you were associated with that are out for seed production in terms of permissions.

You can just PM me or better e-mail me and then I can call you.

Thanks,

Carolyn
Old June 27, 2015   #15
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I think I have enough ISH seeds that I can send you some, but I'll have to check to be sure. If I have enough (12-15) do you want some?